What's Better?

Decorating By imamommy1205 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm by imamommy1205

imamommy1205 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:13am
post #1 of 6

I am making a pratice groom's cake for a friend's wedding (the final product will be made in August, but being new at this, the more difficult ones I like to practice). They say they dont like fondant, but I tried this in frosting and it isnt possible. They have only had traditional fondant, not marshmallow fondant, so I am going to make this one with that and let them decide if they like it. If not at least they have time to either come up with another idea or find someone else to do it (although I am sure you will agree, no bakery will bc it has a brand name on it and it really is impossible to do right in frosting lol).

Anyway, the main part of it is silver, so I will paint the fondant with pearl dust mixed into Vodka. There is a small part that you will not see in the picture (bc I am actually doing a section of the engine compartment when you open the hood of a fox body mustang) that is red and black.

Do you think it would look better to paint the red and black on (without buying edible paint, I will just pain on royal icing...which I have done before but only on cookies) OR to knead in the food coloring (I have wilton food coloring)? I have never kneaded the color in...is it hard?

Or should I add the food coloring into the melted marshmallows? In that case, do I need to make that darker than the color I want so that it will be the color I need after I add the powdered sugar, or will the color not change much?

I hope none of this was confusing lol. TIA!

This is the picture...but the ones I make will be slightly different. I will pipe on Ford Racing in blue, red, and black.

5 replies
Ballymena Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:04am
post #2 of 6

I have never colored MMF, I always use Michell Fosters, it has always worked the best for me,. I like to make karge batches and freeze them so I keep them white. Coloring is simple, just dip your toothpick in the color and into the fondant and knead, add color as neaded. It's much better do do this with rubber gloves on.

brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:15am
post #3 of 6

if they dont like this fondant, they you need to just say, im afraid i can not do this design in BC only.
i think you want to mix the colour into the fondant - painting it on, unless you have an airbrush, it can be hard to get a finish that isnt streaky. you can paint with dust/ vodka, or just regular food colour.
i beleive when making your own, its better to add the colour into the melted marshmallow. then make it a bit darker, as you say, the added PS will lighten it (not sure by how much tho, never made it). you can always add more to the finished product if you need to, its pretty easy to knead it in, just time consuming with a big batch.

imamommy1205 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:02pm
post #4 of 6

brincess_b, so you mean I can mix liquid food coloring into Vodka like I am doing with the pearl dust? Thanks!

brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 6

ive only ever painted a small bit, like a line, or eyes, with food colour, i just did it with straight food dye, but it was the liquid stuff, not the gel colour - maybe they would need some vodka to turn it into something you can paint with?

imamommy1205 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:36pm
post #6 of 6

I might give it a try and see what happens icon_smile.gif.

Quote by @%username% on %date%