Can Mmf And Gumpaste Be Mixed Together?

Decorating By Pebbles1727 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm by GayeG

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:01am
post #1 of 12

Hi all,
I know that a lot of you mix fondant and gumpaste together for modeling. What is the reason for that? And can mmf be mixed with gumpaste or is that just regular fondant? Also, how far in advance do I need to make 50/50 figures in order to put them on the cake?

11 replies
KonfectionKonnection Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:43am
post #2 of 12

You usually mix fondant and gum paste in order to make the fondant dry faster, or for drapes so that they don't continue to stretch while drying. I would assume that you can mix MMF and gum paste for the same reasons, although I have not yet tried it. (MMF is a homemade fondant. Not sure what you mean by "regular fondant.")

Figures need to be made several days in advance, usually, in order to dry enough to hold their shape and place on the cake. HTH!

bellsnbows Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:55am
post #3 of 12

I mix mmf and gumpaste all the time. I never have enough time to create my stuff in advance to let it dry, so this is the best for me. MMF always seems way too soft for me to sculpt with and this always helps. Good luck!

allibopp5 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #4 of 12

Yes, MMF can be mixed with gumpaste. I do it all the time for figure molding. It helps because it dries more far as how long it takes to dry, it just depends on how thick the pieces are that you're working with. Generally I try to mold figures and other thick pieces about 3-5 days in advance or so.

bcake1960 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:58am
post #5 of 12

Yep, Ive done it (mixing gumpaste & MMF) and it worked just fine.. I also add tylose to mmf to help it dry faster as well.. I made a cake this weekend.. and decided to make a tent out of fondant last minute and added tylose for quicker drying.. It worked great.. here is the link to the picture of the cake.. hope it works.. iv never attached a link before.. heheh

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:32pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks you all! That's exactly what I needed!!!
Thanks again, P

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:33pm
post #7 of 12

Oh, one more thing... do I need anything to "glue" pieces together when modeling?
Thanks again, P

GayeG Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:55pm
post #8 of 12

Yep- either a "very light" dab (with a clean paint brush) of water or use gumpaste glue - I use gp glue - I think it holds better - but just a tiny bit is all you need or it will slide on ya :/ HTH! And good luck!

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:39pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks, what's the gumpaste glue?

GayeG Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:42pm
post #10 of 12

Gumpaste glue is just a small amt of uncolored gumpaste thats been dissolved in a small amt of warm tap water .. theres other ways to do this - but this is how "I" do it icon_smile.gif

Pebbles1727 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:45pm
post #11 of 12

Thank you, thank you, thank you! Off to make some dinosaurs tonight! Wish me luck!
Thanks again, P

GayeG Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:53pm
post #12 of 12

Your welcome! And Im sending along a little "dino sugar dust" your way!! Good Luck and dont forget to post a pic and let us know how it goes!

Quote by @%username% on %date%