"that Is Just Too Much Money For Cookies".

Decorating By sarah0418 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm by panchanewjersey

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #31 of 41

To the OP.......you said this was your sister's future MIL right? Well, just think of the satisfaction that you'll get when you make fantastic cookie favors for your sister's bridal shower.

This woman will most likely be there too, and won't she be disappointed that she didn't buy the same cookies for her daughter's shower? icon_biggrin.gif

Too bad, so sad for her the big cheap-o! icon_lol.gif

tinygoose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tinygoose Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:37pm
post #32 of 41
Quote:
Quote:

sarah0418"]Then she precedes to tell me that her cousin's daughter "bakes" and she makes mini cakes in giant cupcake pans and decorates them to look like wedding cakes. Oh, and she even has the added bonus of putting them on small paper plates with coordinating colors. icon_eek.gif Sounds "lovely"!! AND, she is serving these INSTEAD of cake.

icon_wink.gif Lol...oh my goodness, count your blessings. I think you got away with barely a scratch. There is only one thing you can do with people like that and that is to "quick...run for your life!" icon_twisted.gif Good for you for not caving!!!! thumbs_up.gif

Aren't you SOO thrilled right now that you aren't her cousin's daughter that "bakes". You know that poor girl is doing 100 mini wedding cakes for less than $2.50 per cake and probably being told by that woman that they aren't worth half that! She will probably do the wedding cake too for $50 then be told she charged too much. Just think if you had done it for what she wanted...you'd be the relative that "bakes". icon_wink.gif

robinscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
robinscakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 11:36am
post #33 of 41

[quote="tinygoose"]

Quote:
Quote:

sarah0418"]Then she precedes to tell me that her cousin's daughter "bakes" and she makes mini cakes in giant cupcake pans and decorates them to look like wedding cakes. Oh, and she even has the added bonus of putting them on small paper plates with coordinating colors. icon_eek.gif Sounds "lovely"!! AND, she is serving these INSTEAD of cake.

I don't know about all of you, but I kind of think we'll have a new photo on Cakewrecks soon! When's the wedding? I'll be keeping my eyes open for the "mini cakes in giant cupcake pans."

As for the cookies, don't sweat it. It would have cost you money to make them for her, so now you don't have to lose anything. Just be happy she's not your MIL. Just imagine the birthday gifts from the dollar store you'd receive!

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:08pm
post #34 of 41

I have just added cookies back on my website after a year absence.I am charging $5.00 per cookie.$1.00 of that is packaging with a cellophane bag and curly ribbon.I won't do them for any less so if I don't get any orders..that's okay with me!! They are VERY time consuming and take 3 times longer than a regular cake so if I am going to do 24..(Minimum amount) then I am going to be be paid well for them!

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 6:12pm
post #35 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

To the OP.......you said this was your sister's future MIL right? Well, just think of the satisfaction that you'll get when you make fantastic cookie favors for your sister's bridal shower.

This woman will most likely be there too, and won't she be disappointed that she didn't buy the same cookies for her daughter's shower? icon_biggrin.gif

Too bad, so sad for her the big cheap-o! icon_lol.gif

I too agree. My sister does not have her date set in stone yet. But I am already planning in my head what I want to do for her shower.
The shower with the "mini wedding cakes" is coming up in the middle of May, so if I get a pic of them, I will be sure to post one....after all, who couldn't use a good laugh!!

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 7:34pm
post #36 of 41

Can't wait to see the "mini wedding cakes" from the cousin who "bakes"! And i have to add - your cookies are amazing!!

sarah0418 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarah0418 Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 9:46pm
post #37 of 41

thank you so much. I am really just starting, so I still have alot to learn. But thank you!

Tlloyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tlloyd Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 10:18pm
post #38 of 41

I started decorating cookies last Sept. People LOVED them. I would take a few here and there and was getting orders. I don't charge much, but like you all have been saying, as I am making them, I know that I should be charging a lot more. I found little trick that works. I tell people to look on the internet to see if there is something there they would like me to try to do. And when they see the prices there, they are happy with my price. And I get a tip. I have had people approach me to make some and when I tell them how much I never hear back from them. Some scream @ the price. I gave a family member 60 cookies wrapped and tied w/ribbons for just the price of ingredients. I told her that I just would like to know how much she would have paid me. She had to think. They were sorta small (doves and angels), she replied .20 each. I flipped. Then she wanted the receipe. I really would like to sit w/her one day and let her bake and decorate some (she is not a cook nor does she like to wash dishes and that is probably the worst part of the process), she will probably be throwing money at me. So needless to say it is to the point that I want to give it up. icon_cry.gif

CanadianChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CanadianChick Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 11:48pm
post #39 of 41

I LOVE doing cookies - everything from sugar cookies with royal flowed in icing to shortbread with 24K gold. It's a labour of love.

I bring these in to work at Christmas and for a charity bake auction I run (you bid on a whole box of cookies, not just one) and I get the barrage of "OMG you should do this for a living instead of accounting".

At which point I ask them if they'd be willing to pay $30/doz for the simple ones, or $4 ea for the more complex ones.

They balk and then I point out that isn't even paying myself the same wage we get at our company, and we all think we're underpaid by about 10-20K per year...

LOL

Cathy26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cathy26 Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 3:21pm
post #40 of 41

i made my first sugar cookies at christmas as i was intending to offer them to customers like my cakes and cupcakes but NO WAY!! they take so long to so and my piping skills arent up to scratch and having to make up 6 or 7 different piping bags of colours and thickness is just too much for me, i definitly havent got the patience or the skill.

saying that i just love to look at them, i think they are absolutly beautiful especially Lindy Smiths and Peggy Porschens. maybe someday il go back to them..... but like you are saying i cant see how on earth to charge the right amount for them, they take such a long time but people see them as just a cookie which is away in a few bites.... i guess il leave it to the really top end companies whose customers dont care about pricing.

I find people constantly a suprise when it comes to pricing. The bakeries round me charge £25 for a hideous 10 inch plain sponge with fresh cream and that fake jam like ice cream syrup and then a name or photo is scanned on top. They are about 2 inches thick and taste crap and are ugly. Yet the people i work with (as a legal secretary) are amazed that im charging £25 for an 8 inch round 4 inch thick homebacked dense gorgeous cake with really buttercream and jam (or chocolate, etc) covered in fondant with handmade decorations, etc which even by my standards is pretty neatly done which takes me between 5-6 hours to complete. they think im really expensive and are always trying to go a size smaller (one lady wanted a 6inch cake to serve 25 people just to save £5).... i mean seriously if you want a cheap cake go to the supermarket. i am seriously cheap compared to other people because im only starting out but people still think im expensive!!!! god knows what they would say about £2 for a cookie lol !!!!!

panchanewjersey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panchanewjersey Posted 19 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm
post #41 of 41

Sounds like someone I know. She asks me to do 25 baby shower cookies all different bibs, crown, onsie etc.... decorated, wrapped & in ribbon. Well I usually don't charge $1 a cookie it's usuallly $1.75 & up depending on size so I quote her $25 just because she's family and I really like her. Well she tells me she's going to think about it and oh maybe not that's a bit much. Granted she's pretty well off. I thought to myself $25 for 25 cookies, even if cookies were ugly that's still a steal. lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%