"that Is Just Too Much Money For Cookies".

Decorating By sarah0418 Updated 19 Apr 2009 , 7:10pm by panchanewjersey

sarah0418 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:36am
post #1 of 41

Ok, so my sister's future mother-in-law e-mails me about cookies for her daughter's upcoming wedding shower. She wanted pricing on cookies in the shape of wedding cakes and she wanted them all decorated differently. Oh, and about 90-100 guests. Well, since she is my sister's mother-in-law, I wanted to give her a deal on the price. So I quoted her $2.00 each for a platter and $2.50 each for them individually wrapped for favors. Her response: "I know you are talented and that you do great work and I'm sure they are worth every penny but, that is just too much money for me to spend for cookies". icon_mad.gif Then she precedes to tell me that her cousin's daughter "bakes" and she makes mini cakes in giant cupcake pans and decorates them to look like wedding cakes. Oh, and she even has the added bonus of putting them on small paper plates with coordinating colors. icon_eek.gif Sounds "lovely"!! AND, she is serving these INSTEAD of cake. I tried explaining that the average non-cookie favor is going to be more than $2.50 and it's usually something people throw away any way. Oh well. I would pay money to be a fly on the wall at that shower to see how those "mini-wedding cakes" turn out!

40 replies
classiccake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:39am
post #2 of 41

I think you gave her a more than fair price. Don''t sweat it. Be sure to ask your family that does go to take photos....or better yet, bring their cake home so you get a chance to check it out!! icon_lol.gif

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:26am
post #3 of 41

Tell her she could call Cookies by Design and get them for $3.99 each for a 2" to 4" cookie, unbagged. http://www.cookiesbydesign.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=CFA14

kellertur Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:08am
post #4 of 41

I think Toba Garret charges $300.00 for one cookie, but those are very artsy and detailed. She's incredible.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:16am
post #5 of 41

WHat Cookie by Design charges those prices, cause ours quoted me a price for $8.95 a cookie. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll have to do them myself. Maybe it was the cookie I picked.

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:24am
post #6 of 41

Well, you were giving her an awesome deal, not to mention that many decorated differently!!!!! I charge about $1/" & a min of 1 doz per style. How much is she paying for the rest of the food? If they have a fruit or cheese/meat tray, you know what it's just food too, but they pay someone to wash it & arrange it on a platter! I wish people would quit viewing it as just a cookie or just a cake---it's a lot of time. Consider yourself blessed that you're not having to do them. I don't like to deal w/ people who are like that.

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:24am
post #7 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

WHat Cookie by Design charges those prices, cause ours quoted me a price for $8.95 a cookie. icon_sad.gif I guess I'll have to do them myself. Maybe it was the cookie I picked.

I was surprised at the $3.99 price, too but I think it's because these are bulk packed and not an "on-a-stick" cookie.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:27am
post #8 of 41

The ones I asked for weren't gonna be on a stick either. They were gonna be bulk packed as well & I was gonna wrapped them individually. Go figure.

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:40am
post #9 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

The ones I asked for weren't gonna be on a stick either. They were gonna be bulk packed as well & I was gonna wrapped them individually. Go figure.

Wow, that is odd! I just went to their national website and found this price. They may differ per location ... I didn't dive in that far.

sarah0418 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:55am
post #10 of 41

I am going to make sure my sister takes a picture of these "mini-cakes" for me. I will have to have her bring me one of the favors too. I'd like to see what they have there for less than $2.50/person that isn't garbage.

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:15am
post #11 of 41

Maybe I should check their web site too. I might be able to get a better price. icon_razz.gif

solascakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:18am
post #12 of 41

Since she does not want your "expensive" $2.50 cookie,then wait and see what she is going to come up with then

Ruth0209 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:35am
post #13 of 41

I'm still trying to get past a wedding shower with 90-100 guests. Good heavens!

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:08pm
post #14 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

Ditto that!

As for the cookies, most people do not have a clue the time involved in creating these individual treats. My sister had her eyes opened about cost when she checked some cookie web sites (her daughter is getting married this fall, and she's thinking about having me do the cookie favors). It's frustrating when people view them as "just cookies", because they are so much more!

cakesbydina Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:24pm
post #15 of 41

That is a good price. I price my wedding cake cookies at $3.50 each and $4.00 bagged with ribbon. It's worse that she wants them all different which is more labor intensive. I know my customers think that it's too expensive but because they take so much work and time I would never do them for less. tell her to google it and she'll find other bakeries charge more than what you are charging her for these cookies. Don't do them for less then what they are worth just because someone thinks they are pricey.

pastryjen Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:28pm
post #16 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by solascakes

Since she does not want your "expensive" $2.50 cookie,then wait and see what she is going to come up with then

maybe they'll splurge and buy a few packages of Mr Christie's when they go on sale and put them in fancy bags!

I went to a 40th birthday in a legion hall who also catered the food. They provided some great dinner but dessert did consist of the cake I made as well as a couple packages of chips ahoy and oreos.

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:30pm
post #17 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4littlewops

Don't do them for less then what they are worth just because someone thinks they are pricey.

I wonder if they go into a BMW showroom and tell the dealer that his cars are too expensive, because they can go next door to the Chevy dealer and get something much cheaper.

MBHazel Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:32pm
post #18 of 41

Remember, if you don't value your work and your time , no one else will either.

Don't let people make you feel guilty about your price. They can go some place else.

cakesbydina Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #19 of 41

baking should never be negotiable...it's your time, your money and talent they are paying for and if your prices are fixed keep them that way. It's not like buying a car where you can wheel and deal to get a fair price. Tell her to go to costco and see if they'll bake the same cake and produce cookies she wants. she'll soon realize you can't get those items just anywhere and you have to PAY THE PRICE for what they are worth

tujy Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:36pm
post #20 of 41

why do ppl think decorated cookies should come cheap???? it honestly boggles my brain. next time somebody asks you to make some, you should tell them the price but also direct them to some online cookie stores so they can see for themselves what a bargain they're getting.

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:54pm
post #21 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tujy

why do ppl think decorated cookies should come cheap???? it honestly boggles my brain.

I think a lot of people get why decorated cakes cost as much as they do (well, many do). There have been enough Food Network shows that people can watch to see what it takes to do a nice cake. Not so for cookies. Maybe if there was a show or challenge devoted to cookie decorating, more people would get it (but I'm not going to hold my breath on that one!)

sarahpierce Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:46pm
post #22 of 41

I'm confused icon_confused.gif . Your sister is getting married . Her MIL is inviting 100 people to a wedding shower, and you're not one of them? Did I miss something? icon_confused.gif

pastryjen Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #23 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahpierce

I'm confused icon_confused.gif . Your sister is getting married . Her MIL is inviting 100 people to a wedding shower, and you're not one of them? Did I miss something? icon_confused.gif

It's not for the sister but for a dtr of the mil to be.

summernoelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:58pm
post #24 of 41

That's exactly what I charge! Hope she has a lovely wedding with her coordinating paper plates. icon_lol.gif

Rendee Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:02pm
post #25 of 41

LOL!! icon_lol.gif

pinktea Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:49pm
post #26 of 41

Why doesn't future MIL make them herself ? 100 decorated cookies? , no problem at all icon_wink.gif And let's not forget to make each cookie's decoration different.

When they turn out looking like Mrs. Pendergrass 1st grade craft class project, she will apologize to you . icon_biggrin.gif

-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:02pm
post #27 of 41

It gets on my last nerve (and I admit the last ones are probably the only ones I have left) when someone has to tell me about the great deal they can get elsewhere when they just dissed my stuff.

Thank goodness I can't remember it happening lately--loss of memory can be a blessing.

Hopefully I have just enough attitude that I can avoid it going forwad but that's wishful thinking. I'll either get too much attitude and deserve the gut punch or be a wus and get whamied.

I would respond with, "Oh go buy that then by all means." icon_biggrin.gif
<you cheap cheeky little dweeb> could be heard just under my breath...
And when it's family--ugh all the worst huh!

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

PinkZiab Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:22pm
post #28 of 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth0209

That's pretty standard in my family/social circle. For us, you invite ALL women invited to the wedding... anything else would be considered rude. Even my baby shower had 85 guests (and that was considered "small" for my family lol). When you come from a big Italian-American family, it's totally normal lol

bakery_chick Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #29 of 41

85 Women???!!! Good lord anything over 30 women at a shower, and I start to twitch!!
I do like those cake orders though icon_wink.gif
Back to the cookies, I always kind of twinge when I tell people how much I charge for cookies (which is $5.00 for wedding cake cookies, btw) because I would not pay that much for a cookie. I am just not the biggest sugar cookie fan, and I prefer them without frosting. Usually by the end of decorating though, I am glad I am charging that much. They take forever!! I do have fun making them, and I have found that people who love sugar cookies would pay just about any price for them especially if they are personalized. People like me that would usually go for the chocolate chip over the sugar though should probably stick to serving chocolate chip.

7yyrt Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:22pm
post #30 of 41

PinkZiab, where on earth would anyone put 85 women? A church or something? They sure wouldn't fit in anyone's house around here.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%