If Someone Copied Your Cake, Would You Be Flattered Or Upset

Decorating By The_Sugar_Fairy Updated 31 May 2009 , 6:03pm by ericaplh

meenu Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meenu Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #31 of 60

[quote="KookieKris"]I'd be flattered ~ if I had any pictures posted!!
I guess I'm in "total awe" everyday when I see the creations made here on CC by our members. I'm almost embarrassed at the thought of someone looking at my pictures (for now atleast)!

Ditto!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:06pm
post #32 of 60

Count me as someone who would be flattered. It would bother me if it was an exact copy and the person said it was their own original design. (I believe it's hard to come up with something 100% original in this field, so it would have to be an exact copy to make me upset.)

Trixyinaz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Trixyinaz Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:25pm
post #33 of 60

Totally FLATTERED!!! And I wouldn't even care if they didn't ask or credit me.

bakery_chick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakery_chick Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:31pm
post #34 of 60

I would be flattered too!
I have had a couple of people pm for instructions on a cake. I really hope if they ever make the cakes they pm again once the pic is posted so that I can be sure to see their cakes. I would love to see what changes they made & what pieces they kept.

jammjenks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jammjenks Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:19pm
post #35 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I had it happen only once and was elated and oh so flattered. I was also happy to see that they DID give me credit because I've seen so many times when people don't do that or say they forget who's cake it was that inspired it yet it looks like almost an exact copy.

Hey vlin28 - that was me! I remember it exactly. I must say that after looking at the cakes you've been posting recently, I will NOT be the last person to use you for inspiration. Just look at that avatar...it's awesome!

If anyone ever gets bored, go on the gallery search and type in your user name. You may be surprised at the pictures that pop up and give you credit in the description. I was very surprised at a couple that showed up for me. I had no idea!

To answer the OP...using my design - cool! Using my photo - not cool!

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:29pm
post #36 of 60

Ive always been very flattered, makes me feel good that someone liked it enough to take the effort to duplicate something I created. =)

Mme_K Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mme_K Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:59pm
post #37 of 60

I'd be flattered, if it were ever to happen. I can't say how many times I've seen an idea here on CC and tried to incorporate it into a cake. My biggest problem: I see so many great ideas, but don't bake enough cakes.

lainvest64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainvest64 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:26pm
post #38 of 60

It is so funny that this topic caught my eye today. My purpose was to look for cake ideas! I am new to this and love looking at the beautiful cakes.

While I am not close to being good enough for anyone to copy, I would be flattered. I hope the ones that inspire me with their wonderful decorating ability are just as flattered when I try to make something as pretty as they do. I can't express how much I appreciate everyone for sharing their ideas.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:21am
post #39 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammjenks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlin28

I had it happen only once and was elated and oh so flattered. I was also happy to see that they DID give me credit because I've seen so many times when people don't do that or say they forget who's cake it was that inspired it yet it looks like almost an exact copy.

Hey vlin28 - that was me! I remember it exactly. I must say that after looking at the cakes you've been posting recently, I will NOT be the last person to use you for inspiration. Just look at that avatar...it's awesome!

...awww thanks jammjenks!! I'm doubly elated now lol icon_redface.gif

**edited to fix quote feature**

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 5:49am
post #40 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by jam7

But I don't have to worry about it because I'm no where good enough for someone to copy me! icon_redface.gif

You might be surprised! Someone copied my only 3rd cake ever; when I came across it I nearly leapt out of my chair with excitement! The design was original (one of very few for me LOL) and she mentioned she saw it somewhere on CC, and that was good enough for me icon_biggrin.gif.

It is true, like just said before me...I had a major crowbar-defying grin on my face for days. I even PM'd her and thanked her for copying my cake! LOL it was very hard to word it to make sure she knew I was serious and not trying to bust her chops.

madgeowens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madgeowens Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #41 of 60

I would be thrilled.........and for a small note saying they thought enough of you cake to copy it and then give you credit for that would be awesome. However I think if they don't credit that person, its a little cheesy. Just me maybe...but I don't have to worry anyone would ever copy my little ol nanna cakes haha

JenWhitlock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWhitlock Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 2:16pm
post #42 of 60

I love it when people copy my stuff - it makes me feel like I'm giving back to this community!!!

(however, there is this one design that I have given out so much help on - to the point that sometimes I wish I hadn't offered, ok not really, but I get busy... anyway someone copied it completely and I got no credit. I was just a tinsy bit annoyed because I have put so much effort into helping so many with instructions... but really, mostly I don't care about the credit... just that one)

j-pal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
j-pal Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:45pm
post #43 of 60

Definitely flattered when someone asks for instructions or advice or copies a cake I've done. I'm always quick to note if I did a cake based on someone else's design because I'd hate for anyone to think I was trying to take credit for their design.

I do hate it though, when I design a cake for a potential customer and then see a photo of "my cake" show up on a competitor's website!! I have since learned that the customer doesn't get a copy of the sketch until the cake's been paid for!

Mommy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mommy_Cakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:54pm
post #44 of 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

So flattered you'd need a crowbar to get the grin off of my face!

So glad you feel this way, because I really want to try to make an M&M cake, based off of yours...so if you see this

Hey do you mind if I try to make an M&M cake like yours? Only it won't be like yours cuz I'm sure it won't come out nearly as great as yours icon_wink.gif

SarahsSweets2006 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahsSweets2006 Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:11pm
post #45 of 60

I just came across a "copy" of one of my cakes today. Yes, I was flattered but considering the design was COMPLETELY original and it took me forever to come up with it... I would have at least liked to be mentioned for the design.

I have done a few cakes that I have seen in cake books (such as in Confetti Cakes) but have always said where I got the idea. (Though, I like to add some of my own touches) But I definitely think the person who came up with the idea deserves a some credit.

...especially when the cake is copied EXACTLY. I know some people need inspiration but I also think that a little personal creativity does wonders. Like, get an idea from someone else but add your own touches to make it your own. Sometimes when I am looking through galleries and see the SAME cake like, 50 times, down to the exact colors, placement of a flower or "dot" of icing... it makes me sad that no NEW ideas could have been put into the cake.

I don't know, maybe it's just me.

sadsmile Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sadsmile Posted 30 May 2009 , 4:35pm
post #46 of 60

I think we all get ideas from somewhere... I love this place! And it's you the members who make it as special as it is with all your generosity and sharing and help!
I have had occasions that I was able to share and help and I was Super-Dee-Dupper Excited to help! I even go back and check to see if they have posted and not told me yet...LOL Cause I cant wait to see what they have made!!! Nothing better than being able to give and help and see someone elses work and that my crazy verbiage is actually comprehendible. Im just plum tickled pink!

Loucinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Loucinda Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:04pm
post #47 of 60

I am with sadsmile - I love this place because of all the generosity! I am always thrilled to see someone do something I have done too. I think we are always wanting to learn and try new things, and helping others is part of the fun of it for me!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:14pm
post #48 of 60

I agree....very flattering!

However, I come from the old school where you give credit where credit is due!

It's just the right thing to do.

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #49 of 60

I would be flattered too. And I agree, if I used someone's design or part of it, I would thank them either by post on the board, or drop them an email.

Enjoy your day! icon_biggrin.gif

krissycupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissycupcakes Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:15pm
post #50 of 60

i try to make a point of taking step by step photos now so that people can make these cakes. thats why we post our pics on here not to brag (well sometimes alil) but more to share and be helpful.

HamSquad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HamSquad Posted 30 May 2009 , 6:33pm
post #51 of 60

This place is the best place I know of for cake info, pictures of cakes, ideas and just emotional support. I would be flattered if anything I post here was of any use to anyone. Bless you all!
Hammy

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:10pm
post #52 of 60

If anyone ever gets bored, go on the gallery search and type in your user name. You may be surprised at the pictures that pop up and give you credit in the description. I was very surprised at a couple that showed up for me. I had no idea!

Thx for mentioning this. I'd never done this before. Grant it, I only had a handful of mentions, it felt really, really great!
I love when people pm me & ask for help.

sweetjan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetjan Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:27pm
post #53 of 60

I would be flattered, especially since it's only a fantasy for me that it would ever happen! icon_lol.gif But seriously, it means someone else thought it was a great cake. And yes, that person should acknowledge where they got their idea/design!

Lita829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lita829 Posted 30 May 2009 , 9:48pm
post #54 of 60

First I would be surprised they VERY FLATTERED. This website is awesome for inspiring decorators and showcasing talent. I am amazed at the cakes I see on this site EVERYDAY.

I do agree that credit for the original design should be given. thumbs_up.gif

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:17pm
post #55 of 60

Flattered, but I do think it's important to credit the person who originally made the cake!

CakesByLJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByLJ Posted 30 May 2009 , 10:53pm
post #56 of 60

[/quote]If anyone ever gets bored, go on the gallery search and type in your user name. You may be surprised at the pictures that pop up and give you credit in the description. I was very surprised at a couple that showed up for me. I had no idea![/quote]

oh.my.gosh. I had no idea; thanks for the tip~! I am going to send a "thank you" to everyone who gave me credit.. *grinning from ear to ear* I love helping others, and appreciate all those who helped me learn along the way.. icon_biggrin.gif

JenniferMI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferMI Posted 30 May 2009 , 11:31pm
post #57 of 60

I always think it's a wonderful compliment when someone wants to copy a cake. It is very nice when they give credit to the original designer.

Jen icon_smile.gif

Adria_NyxxTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Adria_NyxxTX Posted 31 May 2009 , 5:52pm
post #58 of 60

Flattered. I recently posted pictures of an odd flower I had to match for a customer....couldn't tell if it was dogwood or a cherry blossom. Not long after that I saw a cake posted with a similar design!

cas17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cas17 Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:01pm
post #59 of 60

VERY VERY flattered!!

ericaplh Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ericaplh Posted 31 May 2009 , 6:03pm
post #60 of 60

totally flattered...I get my best ideas from other pictures...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%