Coloring.....

Decorating By elinhanna Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm by sweetcravings

elinhanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elinhanna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #1 of 14

im gonna color some fondant and i have 1 question. what do you prefer....wilton paste colors or americolor gel paste??? i would be realu happy wirh many answersicon_smile.gif

13 replies
jer702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jer702 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:07am
post #2 of 14

I personally use Wilton cause I'm a newbie and I haven't invested in Americolor, but everyone swears that its a million times better. Don't get me wrong, Wilton works just fine, but I will have to eventually move on to bigger and better things. icon_cool.gif

elinhanna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elinhanna Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:04am
post #3 of 14

thankyou so much for answer. isnt anybody there who have tried both products that could help me out her???

KellBell22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KellBell22 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:19am
post #4 of 14

I have both colors, and I have to say that the Americolor gels blow Wilton out of the water! It takes alot less coloring to get bright colors, and the dropper bottles are WAY easier than the toothpick in the Wilton jar method. Americolor all the way for me now. HTH!

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:24am
post #5 of 14

yeah, I've heard americolors are way better (and not just on here). As I use up my Wiltons I plan on switching over

noyhoward Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
noyhoward Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:50am
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellBell22

I have both colors, and I have to say that the Americolor gels blow Wilton out of the water! It takes alot less coloring to get bright colors, and the dropper bottles are WAY easier than the toothpick in the Wilton jar method. Americolor all the way for me now. HTH!

I agree,I have both & like Americolor much better.

SweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:07pm
post #7 of 14

I have used both love the americolor seems to take less so start off with tiny bit, there are also powder colors as well.. love those. =o)

whisperingmadcow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 14

I also heard that the americolor doesn't fade or bleed as much. I use americolor in red and blacks and colors that take alot of gel to get the right color. I agree about the dropper top as well. I hate using all those tooth picks!

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:33pm
post #9 of 14

I have used both and I now only use americolor. I hate that i wasted so much money initally on wilton colors. Not only are they more time consuming to use, like the above poster stated but if you don't use them regularily they turn all gritty. Plus americolor's colors are more true and you use less.

bbmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bbmom Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:34pm
post #10 of 14

I have both wilton and americolor. I prefer Americolor. the squirt bottle is a lot neater and it does seem to take less. But I havre to get it at the cake decorating store, they dont have it at walmart or my area craft stores.

Sneezie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sneezie Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:39pm
post #11 of 14

I just bought Americolor at my local cake store on Monday. I haven't tried it yet, but it is cheaper than the Wilton color. Americolor was $1.39 per bottle. Wilton the cheapest I can get it is $1.69.

whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #12 of 14

What is it with the grit?!? I thought that maybe I had reused a tooth pick by mistake, but you say its because it was old? Anyone know the reason for that?

whisperingmadcow Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:48pm
post #13 of 14

What is it with the grit?!? I thought that maybe I had reused a tooth pick by mistake, but you say its because it was old? Anyone know the reason for that?

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:04pm
post #14 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by whisperingmadcow

I think someone mentioned one time it is the product separating. I think i read if you add some gylcerine it would resolve this, but i haven't tried it. I don't think any amount of that would get rid of all the grit. Maybe someone else will know. I was always careful to never double dip with a toothpick, tried to keep some of the foil on thinking that was the problem..geesh..never again will i buy wilton color.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%