Earlene's Cake Serving Chart...is It Just Me???

Decorating By PennySue Updated 4 May 2016 , 10:39pm by Lparault1964

PennySue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PennySue Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #1 of 26

Ok, I'll be the first to admit that math is not my strongest asset, but can someone explain to me how she gets such vastly different servings between C (her typical servings) and E (column letter corrected, Brides Servings. Example: 10 round: C=30 servings, E=80. Maybe I'm having an off day but I can't figure this out. Help! Here's the online chart
www.earlenescakes.com/ckserchart.htm

25 replies
JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:18pm
post #2 of 26

The E column is for a 12-9-6.....you read the columns at the right from the outside in.

Jodie

patticakesnc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticakesnc Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 26

I don't know. I can't even figure out what dimensions each serving is suppose to be on her chart. I was looking at the square ones and couldn't figure out to save my life how they came up with the servings.

Column E is points of lace though I do know that, it isn't servings.

The Column C on the square for a 6 inch says 12 ok that is a 1 x2 but on a 10 it says 40...for a 1 x 2 wouldn't that be 50?

ngfcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngfcake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #4 of 26

I might be wrong, but I think the bigger number is using the combination of pan sizes in the last column. For example 10"=30 servings. If you go to column G, it says 85. It is using the combination: 13-9-6. (If you look at the servings for each size: 13"=55 servings + 9"=22 servings + 6" = 8 servings the total is 85).

I hope that makes sense!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:20pm
post #5 of 26

I have never been able to figure this chart out either. I guess that is why she wants you to buy it to get the explaination. icon_confused.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:21pm
post #6 of 26

it confused me too-- C is single layer/tier and E is total of all tiers...

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #7 of 26

The chart online does not give the full explanation. I have ordered the actually chart from her, and it breaks down what each column means. Columns A, B, C, D and E are separate from columns F and G. Colum F (brides servings) tells you if a bride needs a cake to serve X number of people then you look at column F for the number you need and then look at the column "Pan sizes in round layer tiers only" to the corresponding row and it tells you what size pans you need for you cake to make that number of servings. Hope this makes sense.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:28pm
post #8 of 26

Okay, I don't understand her chart either, but here is how I do servings. First, I DO NOT do cutting in a circle. I cut straight across, so you get rectangular slices. Second, I DO NOT split the levels in 2. So you have 2 cake layers, you split them, fill them, and now have 4 layers. Some people split the layered cake in half to double their servings. So you end up getting a 2x2x1 serving piece. My serving piece is 2x1x4 which is considered a dessert piece. So for an 8" cake I get 24 servings, where as another person may cut the other way & get 48 servings. Thats the only thing I can think of why that lady gets two vastly different servings on her chart, but I could be wrong. I hope that helps.

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 26

Sorry...no help here. It confuses me to death to look at that chart!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:40pm
post #10 of 26

I think in general Earlene is a great talent, but if you price cakes using her charts you are, IMHO, giving cake away for free. I'll stick with Wilton thanks, it is more than accurate if you cut your cake in rectangles rather than in circles.

PennySue Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:41pm
post #11 of 26

You have no idea how nice it was to check back and see that I'm not the only one. OK...after reading all your posts, this is what I think I understand.
(btw, it appears to me that her column letters are off, but for the sake of being understood, I'll go by her letters)...
11-8-5
11=35
8=15
5=6
Total=56 Her's says 50 but who's counting?!

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #12 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

You have no idea how nice it was to check back and see that I'm not the only one. OK...after reading all your posts, this is what I think I understand.
(btw, it appears to me that her column letters are off, but for the sake of being understood, I'll go by her letters)...
11-8-5
11=35
8=15
5=6

See this is what irks me about her chart. I know Wilton don't give odd sized pan amounts (apart from 9in), but I use them a lot and have based my servings for them on Wilton's & my own experience.

By my chart 11in = 45, 8in = 24 & 5in = 10 = 79 servings (or 75 if you want to err on the side of caution).

So my chart means 20-25 MORE servings than Earlene's! Something to consider when you charge by the slice for a cake!

jaklotz1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jaklotz1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:22pm
post #13 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by PennySue

11-8-5
11=35
8=15
5=6

PennySue

You are correct with you sizes and serving, but Earlene does not count the top tier of a wedding cake for servings because that is anniversary cake for the bride and groom. The top tier would be the 5" and would serve 6, so that is where your six extra servings came from. So, if you do not count the top you would end up with 50 servings. The reasaon it is different under the grooms cake section is because you do count the top on the grooms cake.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:37pm
post #14 of 26

Ok from how I understand this chart. From a through e is 1 chart and the last 2 are totally different, having nothing to do with whats in front of it. Those are for different size tiered cakes. Column E is for lace points only going around the cake if making a design which could prov to be very helpful depending on decorating needs.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:14am
post #15 of 26

I've never been able to figure out the chart, but since I go by the Wilton chart to determine my pricing, it's a non-issue anyway. (And I have no idea what the heck a "lace point" is! icon_eek.gif )

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBellaFlor

Okay, I don't understand her chart either, but here is how I do servings. First, I DO NOT do cutting in a circle. I cut straight across, so you get rectangular slices.

For those who may be interested, here is the link to my website that shows in step by step photos how to cut a cake this way. You are welcome to link to this page and/or print it out and give it to a bride/venue as how-to instructions. http://cateritsimple.com/_wsn/page10.html

PennySue Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:25am
post #16 of 26

I was wondering what a lace point was also. I see now about the extra six. Duh! icon_surprised.gif)
Thanks Indydebi, I'll check it out!

komalali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
komalali Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 4:41am
post #17 of 26

AI was just reading this chart and was so confused... Thankyou everyone! I think i should stick with wilton cake serving chart. But can have a guide in lace point from this chart , thanks once again you guys are llife saver

enga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enga Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:10am
post #18 of 26

Earlene told me that the chart was never meant to be sold. She just used it for her own customers so that they would have enough cake servings.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:19am
post #19 of 26

A

Original message sent by enga

Earlene told me that the chart was never meant to be sold. She just used it for her own customers so that they would have enough cake servings.

Told me the same at a cake shows in Texas last week. It's just her perspective on slices. She's not trying to make a business tool.

enga Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:33am
post #20 of 26

I was confused  about her method too. It was so nice of her to take the time out of her busy schedule to explain it to me, for which I'm grateful.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 5:56am
post #21 of 26

AShe's really very nice. She took about 15 minutes with me to show me how to get the most out of her lace molds...and there was a line at her booth

enga Posted 31 Mar 2014 , 6:01am
post #22 of 26

OOOOOww you are so lucky!  She is a very gracious lady, I want to be like her when I grow up! :grin:

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 22 May 2014 , 1:17am
post #23 of 26

For those wondering what lace points are, here's an example of the royal icing decorations called lace points on a cake:

http://the-evil-plankton.deviantart.com/art/Humming-Bird-Lace-Cake-184947779

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 22 May 2014 , 6:56am
post #24 of 26

I've a lace point mat for Royal Icing that I bought about 20 years ago. I'd never try to pipe 'em by hand.

cazza1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cazza1 Posted 22 May 2014 , 10:09am
post #25 of 26

We used to put lace points around our cakes 20 years ago.  You always piped heaps more than you needed because they were so fragile.  Used to used a 00 tip.  Doubt that I could nowadays.

Lparault1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lparault1964 Posted 4 May 2016 , 10:39pm
post #26 of 26

I don't know how Ms. Earlene came up with the serving numbers, either; however, I ALWAYS go by this chart, and I rarely have an over abundance of cake, nor have I ever come up short at all.  I believe that the servings come out because she does not cut the cake in the way that Wilton describes. 

I usually end up cutting the cake wherever I go and I can get more servings out of a cake than Wilton says, too.

I used to use the Wilton Chart and my servings never figured the way they said. 

Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%