What Are Your Must Have Books For Cake Decorating?

Decorating By ThisNameInUse Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 1:30am by nanatrucker

ThisNameInUse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThisNameInUse Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #1 of 24

My daughter is getting ready to graduate high school, and is going for her bachelor's degree in "Pastry Arts Technology".

I ask her all the time what she would like for a graduation present (from high school) and she always says a hot pink Kitchenaid mixer (That's my girl! icon_wink.gif )

Besides that, I want to start collecting supplies and books for her.... Any suggestions? Tips? Anything she can do this summer before she starts college to better prepare her?

23 replies
nanatrucker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanatrucker Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 24

The Essential Cake Decorating Guide is a very informative book . Hope this helps!

ThisNameInUse Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:36pm
post #3 of 24

OK thank you! icon_smile.gif

auntmamie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntmamie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 24

Not a cake book, but Real Simple has a guide book for new college students - a "how to do everything that your Mom taught you, in a dorm" book. I just graduated from college, and didn't have a cell when I first lived in the dorms. My parents phone bill was huge from me calling home to ask how to do laundry!

For cake books, I love Confetti Cakes and Beautiful Cakes by Peggy Porschen.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:59pm
post #5 of 24

"The international School of Sugar>craft" series of three books by Nicholas Lodge and janice Murfitt are indispensable. As is Toba Garrett's "The Well Decorated Cake."

drummer27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drummer27 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #6 of 24

Your daughter is a smart girl! I decorated my whole kitchen around my pink KitchenAid. I have the light pink.

My new favorite book is The Essential Cake Decorating Guide. I love it, every decorator should have it.

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 24

I'm a fan of the Wilton Encyclopedias. You can usually find them on Ebay.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:05am
post #8 of 24

I don't really have that many, but what i do have is couple of collette peters books. Amazing and i reference those books all the time for ideas and recipes on frosting, gumpaste, fondant, etc. Very inspirational and pretty much got me hooked.

cakelady31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady31 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:08am
post #9 of 24

Not to mention , this little awsome place called cake central. icon_biggrin.gif Priceless!

underthesun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
underthesun Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:10am
post #10 of 24

Although not a cake decorating book, The Professional Pastry Chef and the Advance Pastry Chef by Friberg are my husband's pastry "Bibles". Great information on technique and incredible recipes. Always the first books he recommends to any future Pastry Chef. Good luck to your daughter. thumbs_up.gif

Tortess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tortess Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:11am
post #11 of 24

I seearched at Amazon for Essential Cake Decorating Guide. There were several listed by different people. Which ones are you guys referring to?

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:29am
post #12 of 24

While we're on the subject of books... I'm REALLY enjoying my first tries at gum paste flowers and would really like to pursue becoming an expert at them. What is the best instructional manual on learning to do these well?

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #13 of 24

First & foremost "The Cake Bible" , followed by "The Pie & Pastry Bible" both by Rose Levy Beranbaum. And if you can find it, the 1960's edition of "The Fannie Farmer Cookbook". It gives you a good base on cooking & baking even if it is an outdated edition & has been revised many times.

LaBellaFlor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:11am
post #14 of 24

First & foremost "The Cake Bible" , followed by "The Pie & Pastry Bible" both by Rose Levy Beranbaum. And if you can find it, the 1960's edition of "The Fannie Farmer Cookbook". It gives you a good base on cooking & baking even if it is an outdated edition & has been revised many times.

ThisNameInUse Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:36am
post #15 of 24

Ahh you guys are AWESOME! Thank you!

And the really cool thing, she works at the library, so I can get her to check them out for a sneak peak before purchase!

Ya know, they would also make good graduation gifts for her when friends and family ask what she needs! YAY!

She wants a hot pink mixer like the one in my avatar, but from what I read, that color has been discontinued....bummer!

It was easy when I knew exactly what color she wanted, but it's difficult picking out another color. They have so many awesome color choices, I can't make choose! I'm a Libra... <this one, or that one....this one, or that one....>

JulyMama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JulyMama Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:27am
post #16 of 24

try looking here for your colour. You could try calling them to see if they have it. They carry rare and discontinued colors.
I was gonna say see if you could have it shipped to you, but they are also in Ohio, maybe they are close to you?
http://www.kitchenaid.com/flash.cmd?/#/page/inside-kitchenaid-experience-center

ThisNameInUse Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #17 of 24

Thank you!!!

I was looking at JCPenny and they have a color called grape that is really cool, and somewhere, can't remember where, I saw a really pretty bright blue.....and lime....and orange.....LOL... I saw one on HSN called Buttercup that was really pretty, too....

My friend has one that is black and has flames painted on it. Another friend has one that is painted to look like Eddie Van Halens red guitar.

Anyone else have their's customized?

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #18 of 24
TiaSophia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiaSophia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 4:37pm
post #19 of 24

Oh I have that Kitchenaid Mixer! Keep looking, my husband was able to find it for me right after it was discontinued. It's the perfect color, good luck finding one!

ThisNameInUse Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:16pm
post #20 of 24

Isn't the hot pink called Boysenberry or something like that??

TiaSophia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TiaSophia Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:26pm
post #21 of 24

I'm 99% sure it's called Cranberry. Even though that doesn't fit the hot pink color at all, lol.

ThisNameInUse Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:29pm
post #22 of 24

yeah! That was it!

Thanks!

nanatrucker Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:29am
post #23 of 24

The 2003 essential cake decorating guide is the one I have.

nanatrucker Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #24 of 24

The 2003 essential cake decorating guide is the one I have.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%