How To Make Red Roses?

Decorating By AngMaLa Updated 3 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm by Carolynlovescake

AngMaLa Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 6

Can anyone give me good tips on how to make red roses? I need to make them for my sister's wedding cake and would like them to match as close as possible our Apple colored Bridesmaid dresses. Can anyone tell me how to get a nice deep red color for fondant/gumpaste?

5 replies
ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:30pm
post #2 of 6

Welcome to CC!

Many people on this site recommend either buying already colored fondant or using Americolor Super Red to get a deep red color. If you don't have time to order/buy either of those, you can use wilton's no taste red, you will just have to use a lot. Good luck! icon_wink.gif

Lady_Phoenix Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 6

Hi AngMaLa and welcome to Cake central!

To get a deep red, I start with a dark pink color, then add Americolor red. Let it sit overnight, as the color will deepen. You can add more each day for several days since fondant will not spoil.

KHalstead Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #4 of 6

MY bridesmaids wore apple dresses too icon_lol.gif Here's a pic of some gumpaste roses I made.I dyed the gumpaste using americolor Super Red and then when they were hard, I airbrushed them with a couple coats of red...it REALLY darkened them up! Then I put pearl on them, which kinda lightened them back up some...but in any case, my suggestion is to color the gumpaste and then airbrush them once they're dry to get it darker.
LL

AngMaLa Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 2:53pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for the tips!! I have time to try out some different methods, just wanted some suggestions of where to start since red is so hard to get.

Carolynlovescake Posted 3 Apr 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 6

To ge a deep read I make a deeper colored orange first then I add red until I have the shade I want.

The nice thing is you aren't consuming huge amounts of red dye this way because the bulk of your color is orange.

As we know if it's an all/mostly red based frosting it will stain lips, teeth, mouth and tongue red. For weddings this isn't really cool to have happen so by basing it off deep orange you don't have to worry about the red frosting mouth disease.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%