Rice Cereal Figure

Decorating By cakecitycakes Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 12:52am by cakecitycakes

cakecitycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecitycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 6

Still new to the cake world, I was trying to make a pill bottle figure from rice cereal treats (using marshmallows, butter & rice cereal) and I was going nowhere fast! It was a small figure and I after shaping it I covered it with some buttercream and then fondant - is that the right thing to do? It more looked like a big ole' lumpy thing than anything else and my fondant looked wrinkled. Any ideas as to why my figure making sucked so bad??!! It's a good thing I can laugh at myself over this - my son enjoyed eating it so all was not lost! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 6

When you ice it with the BC, it has to be completely smooth before you apply the fondant. Also, you want to let the cereal set some so that when you are icing it and applying the fondant you aren't squishing it out of shape.

cakecitycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:26pm
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the tips. I think I rushed everything along too much and next time I'll make sure I work more time into the schedule.

sheilabelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheilabelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:33am
post #4 of 6

I was told that you don't need to add the margarine/butter. Without it the figure will set up more solid.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:40am
post #5 of 6

Don't use butter in the recipe when you make it and try dipping the whole thing in melted chocolate before coating with fondant -- that will get it REALLY smooth! icon_biggrin.gif

cakecitycakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:52am
post #6 of 6

Amazing!! I would have not known not to use butter and I'll definitely try the chocolate dipping. So glad to have the forum to post questions, hopefully the advice will help to make my cakes better and better! Cheers icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%