Why Does My Wasc Always Sink In Middle?

Decorating By AfordRN Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm by justsweet

AfordRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #1 of 22

I have made WASC in every pan I have and except for my 6" they always sink in the middle. Just did a 8" round with a flower nail in the middle....sank. Currently have a 11X15 with 2 nails in pan, already sank and it isn't even close to done. I bake at 325 and even add 2 tsp baking powder to try to help. I use the 2 cake mix recipe. Any suggestions???
I try not to open the oven door. Everyone like this cake, but I get disgusted with the big "frosting filler" to make up for the sinking. icon_cry.gif

21 replies
AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:21pm
post #2 of 22

Anyone!!???

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #3 of 22

are you making the recipe to the T? Like, you aren't adding any extra sugar, are you? I know that's been said to be a cause for sinking.

Is your oven really at 325? Have you tested it?

AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 22

I've never tested my oven, but that will be my next step. I'm pretty sure I have everything measured right. I'm a by the book person and don't do well with ad lib. icon_lol.gif

My recipe calls for 8 egg whites. Could it be the eggs whites? Others have whole eggs in it.

niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:01pm
post #5 of 22

i use the kakeladi version and just double it if I need more batter

1 box cake mix
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup water
1 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon flavoring (i use all vanilla, but you can add almond and butter, too)
3 whole eggs

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:04pm
post #6 of 22

Yep - put an oven thermometer in and make sure it's baking at 325. Also, - I know this is a stupid question - are you sure it's completely done when you take it out? Whenever my cakes sink (and I use the WASC), it's because they were just slightly underdone. Even a couple of minutes makes a difference.

AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:10pm
post #7 of 22

I've never tested my oven, but that will be my next step. I'm pretty sure I have everything measured right. I'm a by the book person and don't do well with ad lib. icon_lol.gif

My recipe calls for 8 egg whites. Could it be the eggs whites? Others have whole eggs in it.

AfordRN Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:14pm
post #8 of 22

My recipe is the same except mine calls for 1 1/3 cups water and 8 eggs whites. I'll try Kakeladi's next time and see if that helps.

My cakes will sink before I even take them out. This last 11X15 was sunk in the middle after only 30 mins???

Thanks everyone.

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:15pm
post #9 of 22

What brand mix are you using. Mine always sink when I use Duncan Hines. Also, try using bake even strips & hopefully after you get an oven thermometer it'll pan out

CherryLane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CherryLane Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:26pm
post #10 of 22

Reduce your sugar by 2T. Actually, I only use 3/4c sugar. for a one box receipe.

squeaky121603 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
squeaky121603 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #11 of 22

My cakes sank in the middle also. I would always wait for my timer on the oven to let me know the temperature was at 325. But, I finally went and got a oven thermometer and checked the oven temp when the timer said oven was at 325 and it was way off. So, now I check for the oven thermometer to say 325 before placing cakes into the oven.

HTH

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #12 of 22

My oven says it only takes 5 1/2 min to preheat, but it's more like 25-30. That does make a difference

litfong Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
litfong Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:56am
post #13 of 22

I sometimes have problems when I put too much batter in my pans. Now I measure my batter and use the Wilton chart for the right amount of batter for each size cake pan and sinking isn't a problem.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:09am
post #14 of 22

There's another thread going & myself included have had sinking in the middle using DH mixes........going to try BC......hope it works.

cocobean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocobean Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:21am
post #15 of 22

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm ready to take out MY 6"x3" square chocolate wasc cake. It has a major sink hole in the middle to. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I used BC brand, a nail and baking strips. I could scream but everyone is asleep! tapedshut.gif

cocobean Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:22am
post #16 of 22

icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif I'm ready to take out MY 6"x3" square chocolate wasc cake. It has a major sink hole in the middle to. icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
I used BC brand, a nail and baking strips. I could scream but everyone is asleep! tapedshut.gif

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:28am
post #17 of 22

Ok. here is the thing with pre-heating. I just had my oven done, and I quizzed the guy for 45 min. You set your oven to 350 (for instance). It pre-heats it to 425. When your bell goes off your oven is 425. When you open the door and take a moment to put your pans in, you lose heat. then, for the duration of the baking time, the oven fluctuates between 375 and 325, keeping an average of 350. Get your oven checked NOW!!! Oven thermometers are set to register slowly. They take 15 min to register. So they actually accurately show the AVERAGE temp, not necessarily the current temp.

Also, I ALWAYS bake my chocolate cakes at 325, but my white-based cakes at 350. I find that I have better results that way.

ernesta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ernesta Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:43am
post #18 of 22

I usually use bake even strips and add a TBSP of Wilton's meringue powder to my mixes. My oven is usually off by 25-50 degrees, too. Adding a thermometer and pre-heating for 30-45 mins helps...uses a lot of gas, but it helps. lol!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:02pm
post #19 of 22

I just read the first post so forgive me for not reading everything --I just wanna toss this out there--I use self rising flour. Works great--well for white--that's the only one I use.

dandelion56602 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:17pm
post #20 of 22

Cocoa bean, did you use chocolate mixes? If so, which ones? The dark chocolate ones tend to create more of a problem for me. I like the Devil's food & substitute some cocoa for the flour

cocobean Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 22

dandelion, yes I do the same. I used Betty Crocker Devil's Food. I added 1/3 c. cocoa and subtracted 1/3 of the flour per box of cake mix.

I'm thinking my 3" pans could have a little to do with it, eventhough I used a nail and baking strips to.

memphis, the self rising flour sounds interesting!

justsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justsweet Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:22pm
post #22 of 22

Sorry, to hear about the problem. some people have complained about DH, but I use it all the time, never had any problems. I Saturday I baked 6 layers of WASC - 8 x 2 pans, 8 x 3 dome pan and 7 3/4 oval pan cakes baked great a little dome in the middle. I start the oven when I start mixing and putting in the pan.

Question - you level in the oven to pan you cake on - second from the bottom or middle level.

I bake second from the bottom. when the time goes off and the cake does not looked cooked or giggle I set the time again.

Good luck I hope you find the answer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%