Well, This Cake Is Not Gonna Happen...and I Don't Know Why!!

Decorating By patticakesnc Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 12:32am by vita752001

patticakesnc Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:59pm
post #1 of 10

icon_cry.gif I am so upset. I was trying to make a cake for a lady at the hotel we are remodeling. It is her last day and she loves my chocolate cakes. So I was going to suprise her today. It is about 2 hours out to the hotel so I had one shot at this today. It just didn't happen!

I don't know what happend. I have made this cake 1000 times. But it didn't bake. The very top layer did but all the inside of the pan just boiled out of it into my oven! I have no idea why. I have never had this happen and today of all days.

Anyone have any idea what would make it do this?

9 replies
moxey2000 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #2 of 10

Was this a mix or scratch? If scratch, could you have possibly added the baking powder twice or something like that? It sounds like too much leavening to me.

I'm so sorry this happened to you.

amberc75 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #3 of 10

How odd that this happened to you....

Just the other day, I was making my very first German Chocolate Cake (from scratch). I mixed everything according to recipe. Well, the recipe I have says to whip some egg whites until soft peaks form and fold them in at the very end.... I FORGOT to do it. I have NEVER forgotten anything in a cake recipe. I am obsessive about it, and I will read it ten times before mixing. I put it in the pans, and it was awful... it boiled over into the oven... My boyfriend called it Chocolate Mount Vesuvius!

Thankfully, I was just making it for him! We threw it away and I mixed up another one - WITH the whites folded in at the end... and VOILA no cake boil-over.

Sorry I hijacked your thread there - and, unless your recipe called for whites and you forgot to fold them in, then I probably wasn't much help to you.... but I can totally feel your pain about the choco boil-over!!!

patticakesnc Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 10

You know that is what I am thinking. I have no idea actually. I halved the recipe so I may have screwed up somewhere. Here is a pic of what was left. icon_cry.gif

solascakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:53pm
post #5 of 10

awww sorry to hear that,let her know though,you can always do another,if she'll come pick it up.She'll still be happy.

ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 10

That stinks! Don't you hate when you go to do something that you have done a million times before and for some reason it doesn't turn out? I have had that happen with baking temperatures...not remembering the exact temp.

amberc75 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:00pm
post #7 of 10

Sad to say, but that looks like a blessing compared to what mine looked like.... LOL!!!

The strange thing is, they had little "cake discs" in the middle of each one... It was about 4 or 5 inches across, and that part was fairly hard, and all wrinkly looking, sorta just floating there on top, and the "LAVA" was underneath pouring out into my stove bottom...

Seriously, it looked like something off the SciFi channel... icon_smile.gif

ziggytarheel Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:01pm
post #8 of 10

I think it is the leavening as well. Too much and it rises and falls. Too little and it hardly rises. Too old and nothing works.

patticakesnc Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:46pm
post #9 of 10

Yeah I agree. I looked and had grabbed the tablespoon measuring spoons instead of the teaspoons.

Amber75: Trust me it looked MUCH worse than the pic. It was boiling over all in my stove. I always put a pan underneath though in case I have a boil over and so the cookie sheet caught the overflow. And I promise it was a lot!

Anyway my husband gave her my email and I have told her that I will send her my gourmet list and she can pick whatever cake she wants and I will make it for her. It wouldn't have been a big deal except I had spoken with her and told her I was making her a cake today. If I hadn't she wouldn't have even known. icon_sad.gif

vita752001 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:32am
post #10 of 10

That's why sometimes I'm nervous when someone order something from me. Not sure why, even for the cakes or snacks I made many times successfully but somehow I cannot make it when someone order it. That's really weird icon_confused.gif Good thing it's not happen all the time.

Quote by @%username% on %date%