Fondant/gumpaste Animals

Decorating By mariaedith Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm by mariaedith

mariaedith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariaedith Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 9

I'm learning how to make fondant animals. I made some bunnies last night with 50% fondant/gumpaste. I made my bunnies but the head seemed to push down on the body making it wrinkle. My bunnies weren't smooth either.

My question is do you make the parts of the animals and let them dry then stick them on or do you put it all together and let it dry all put together?

Thank you for any help I can get.

8 replies
CristyInMiami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CristyInMiami Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 9

I use a toothpick to support the body on the head because when I made my Sesame Street ones the same thing happened to me. When I did the puppy I used a tooth pick and no wrinkling happend.

jlynnw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnw Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:32pm
post #3 of 9

I used spaghetti to hold mine together. I am afraid someone will try to eat them. I made the body with the spaghetti in it, let it firm up a bit, and then added the head and legs. Go slow, make a few bodies, go back and add the head. Good luck and post the pics! HTH

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #4 of 9

Yep, it's all about the support! Gravity is not on your side, even with small figures...toothpicks or uncooked spaghetti work great to avoid sagging.

You may also want to play around with your fondant/gumpaste ratio & find the formula that you like best. I prefer about 40/60 (40% fondant, 60% gumpaste) because it gives me the support & flexibility I like.

Good Luck!

smitakasargod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smitakasargod Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:36pm
post #5 of 9

In my animal train cake I used cookie sticks for support. I did not mix any gumpaste as the kids wanted to eat them.I had to put the bodies on the stick first and let them dry and then make the heads so that thefondant wouldn't wrinkle and sag.

kjohnston Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjohnston Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:39pm
post #6 of 9

if you put gumpaste in they can't be eaten????

TheMightyQuinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheMightyQuinn Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:01pm
post #7 of 9

it's edible just turns rock hard. might break some teeth out, of course i haven't mixed it with fondant yet. I've only done gumpaste flowers

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:27pm
post #8 of 9

I"ve used both spaghetti and toothpicks. Usually, spaghetti if I think it might be eaten but toothpicks if its for competition or where it's only adults.

mariaedith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariaedith Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you for the advice. I will try all these methods.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%