Please Don't Shoot Me, I Need Help!

Decorating By Kitchen_Witch Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm by juleebug

Kitchen_Witch Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm
post #1 of 5

A co-worker of my mother's saw the dragon cake I just did for my daughter's 3rd birthday. She is now asking me to make a cake for her daughter's birthday. She would really like me to make this cake from Bugzplaypark. I have no clue what to charge. I would normally charge $2.50-$4 per serving for a cake, but this is with fondant figures and is carved.... I know people get upset about cake pricing questions but I really have no idea what to charge for this. Please help?

I am just a hobbyist and really only make cakes for my family and once in awhile for friends. I can do this cake, but figuring out how much to ask for is beyond me. My first thought was $65-$85 but I am concerned that is too high and my mother says it is too low. haha
LL

4 replies
brincess_b Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:53pm
post #2 of 5

id say up your per serving charge, since carving is more work. and figure out a price per character. then off you go!
xx

Kitchen_Witch Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:03pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you, thats a good place to start. My biggest problem though is that I have no idea how much to charge for figures like this. I know prices vary wildly from area to area and depending on how good the cake artist is. Since I can only do basic figures, very similar to what is in the picture, I am wondering how much per figure is reasonable.

jlh Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:07pm
post #4 of 5

I know that situation. I am in the same boat...it's a hobby. I approach my cake requests with this question in mind...if I end up with less than minimum wage, would I still want to do the cake? If I like the design, want the picture for my portfolio, and won't lose sleep over the final cost, then "yes", I'll do it. If I'm too busy that week, or not totally excited about the cake, or doubtful of the overall outcome, I'll either politely say no, "it's too much for me to take on right now", or I'll charge a price that I'll be happy with. I think $75 is probably on the less expensive side, but if you charge too much, you set the bar very high for yourself, and run into that possible "Walmart is so much cheaper" situation. Uggghhh! Good luck wtih everything.

juleebug Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #5 of 5

It looks like you could use the Wilton Giant Cupcake pan for the mushroom and save having to carve it (if you feel that pan would be a good investment, that is.)
I would charge at least $85 with all those figures.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%