Could Someone Explain The Difference Luster/pearl Dust

Decorating By kyoung24 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm by CindiM

kyoung24 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:51pm
post #1 of 5

Could someone please explain to me the difference between luster dust, pearl dust and petal dust. I have never used any of them before and I was wanting to know exactly what they all are. Also, which would you use on a swag drapping and roses? Thank you for all you help!

4 replies
chelleb1974 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:10pm
post #2 of 5

Petal dust are matte colors that you can either brush dry onto dried gumpaste flowers, or mix with vodka to paint on a cake

Luster dust is similar to petal dust, but you get a shimmery color rather than a matte color.

Pearl dust is like luster dust, but the colored pearl dusts only give a hint of color, and usually only if the light hits it the right way.

CindiM Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 5

Hi kyung24

I use these dust "on" the fondant. I use other coloring to color the fondant.

Pearl dust has less color, but gives the most shine.
Luster dust has color and shine.
Petal dust is not shiney and is used more for color.

If I was making a drape and wanted the drape to look like a satin material, I would dust the fresh fondant with super pearl before I put it on the cake. Dust applied to fresh fondant will give you the best result.
Make a small sample first to see what it will look like.

kyoung24 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:36pm
post #4 of 5

thank you for all the help.
CindiM -- Would I use the super pearl for a metallic gold look also? Do I paint this on dry or do I use it wet with vodka?

CindiM Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:01pm
post #5 of 5

You can use "super gold" dust with vodka (or extract ) to paint gold with the most shine. You can use super gold dry as well if the fondant is fresh for a soft shine.

Here is a hint, For example, you are making a gold shell. Make the shell in a yellow orange color of fondant, then paint with the super gold and vodka. If needed you can dry dust over the piece (after it is completely dry ) to make it look smooth, to cover any streaks.

Play with the dust to get comfortable with them.

Quote by @%username% on %date%