How Come My Cupcakes....

Baking By mishlove Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm by brincess_b

mishlove Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mishlove Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 7

When my cupcakes are cooled they seem to be sticky on the top of them? Why? What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

6 replies
EyeCandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EyeCandy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:51pm
post #2 of 7

Mine do the same and I'm curious for the answer as well!

imamommy1205 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imamommy1205 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #3 of 7

Mine do too. I dont worry about it though since they will be covered with frosting anyway. Might be interesting to know if there is something we can do so they wont be icon_smile.gif.

fuzzykoala22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fuzzykoala22 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:56am
post #4 of 7

I don't know that there's anything that CAN be done about the situation, especially if you live in a high-humidity climate like I do (south Louisiana). Sugar is pretty hygroscopic, so it will absorb moisture from the air, making for sticky tops icon_sad.gif

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:13am
post #5 of 7

what will stop this though? there's such a high humidity where i am and this happens to cakes too. should i cover them in plastic or what? I'm interested cause i have experienced this way too many times and i don't like it icon_sad.gif

Ironbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ironbaker Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:46pm
post #6 of 7

I'm sure it is based more on the recipe and the moisture in it. It may have to do with them being a teeny bit underbaked...not sure. Is it really a bad thing though? I can't imagine covering in plastic making it better, maybe worse.

brincess_b Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brincess_b Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:57pm
post #7 of 7

maybe use less sugar? when i have accidentally used too much sugar, cakes go kinda funny with a sticky skin on top. so maybe even though ur using the right measure of sugar, cause of the humidity, its too much? just a guess!
xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%