Painting On A Cake

Decorating By momma28 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm by isabow2

momma28 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 8

For those who paint on their cakes what do you use for that? Is there a special edible paint or do you simply mix food coloring with alcohol? Can you paint on buttercream and what about gumpaste....thanks so much for any input icon_smile.gif

7 replies
cheffie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 8

Hello momma, I use powdered food color mixed with either a clear alcohol ieicon_sad.gifvodka or gin), or lemon extract. I find the alcohol works a bit better and is more economical. If you want to you can use gel color not diluted but it will take forever to dry and may leave a bad taste. As for painting on B.C. I have yet to try that, so I dont know how or if you can do it. Good luck and hope this helped. Cheffie icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

momma28 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:09pm
post #3 of 8

where do you get your powdered food coloring? Thanks again icon_smile.gif

jamiekwebb Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:23pm
post #4 of 8

I use the gel color diluted with a very tiny amount of water so that it will dry. It works fine for me.

isabow2 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:28pm
post #5 of 8

I mix the Wilton gel colors w/pure lemon extract & it works great.

BakingGirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:33pm
post #6 of 8

If you want to paint on BC you might be best to airbrush it, so you don't dent your icing with the brush.

sweetjan Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:35pm
post #7 of 8

Wilton gel with lemon, like isabow1 said...just be careful not to get too 'heavy handed' with the paintbrush....! hth

isabow2 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:42pm
post #8 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetjan

Wilton gel with lemon, like isabow1 said...just be careful not to get too 'heavy handed' with the paintbrush....! hth

I agree!! I have discovered that if you glob on too much it stays tacky.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%