Marketing The Customers Guests

Business By skaggs1 Updated 10 Apr 2009 , 2:36pm by KHalstead

skaggs1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:13am
post #1 of 35

When you have a big cake order and you know that there is going alot of people there looking at your cake do you send extra cards with the customer in case people ask them who did their cake? Or do you just rely on the customer telling them? Or maybe ask them to put the cards on the table next to the cake and if they guests are interested they can take one, or is tacky to ask of the customer. Just curious how everyone does this. I just don't want my cards to go to waste.

34 replies
something_sweet Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:39am
post #2 of 35

I was thinking about this last weekend. I did a wedding cake, and people were going crazy over how good that cake was! So I said to my husband, "I wish I could put my business cards out, maybe it would get me some more business!" But I felt it would be frowned upon if I did. Honestly, I don't think you can count on the customer letting everyone know who made the cake. 1 or 2 guests might think to ask after the party, but probably most people forget about it until next time they need a cake (at the last minute, so they go to Wal-mart).

On the other hand, everytime my sister has a party, she passes out my business cards, but I have never gotten a call from anyone she gave a card to. So I don't know either. I can't wait to hear what other people have to say.

grama_j Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:39am
post #3 of 35

I would NEVER put my cards on the table.... I think that is tacky, but I usually hand the customer a couple, meaning two or three...... when I deliver the cake, and tell her.... " If anyone asks"..........

sweetcakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:52pm
post #4 of 35

my customers always ask for extra cards to hand out. i put one on the box, a few under the cake board in the box and give them some. Just lately ive had people knock on my car window when im parked for one too, i have window signs.

LaBellaFlor Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:58pm
post #5 of 35

I went to a wedding one time & the cake decorator who set up the cake had her business cards next to the cake & I thought it was SO TACKY. It was just so tacky looking to see some cards fanned around one side of the cake. I don't even think the bride knoew they had did that.

ccr03 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:05pm
post #6 of 35

The only times I've ever done it is w/two friends and they told me to. The other times I just leave some extra cards w/the coordinator or give them to the bride/ordering party beforehand.

cheesecakes-galore Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #7 of 35

I always tape about 3 cards to the top of the main box. I also have magnets that I always send my customers either when they place their order or when I mail them a contract. I think it would be alright to hand out your cards when delivering your wedding cake, but I would only do so to those who comment on your cake after you have set it up and all. I definitely would not sprawl them out around the cake!

Terri05 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:15pm
post #8 of 35

I have to agree that cards around the cake are very tacky but maybe you can put your cards on the gift table in a stylish business card holder.

pinktea Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:25pm
post #9 of 35

I was told by a " Marketing expert " to offer a discount in lieu of business cards on the table. I never did it because it just seems tacky to me .

leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #10 of 35

Srsly, one cake decorator has now been banned (or at least NEVER recommended) from a venue here for doing that.

2txmedics Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:16pm
post #11 of 35

Well how about this idea, Ive thought of it, but wasnt sure:

when you take the cake to the event, find a table near by where people pass by, go to the dollar store, get a nice basket, decorate in colors of the wedding...and infront of the basket on a nice 4x6 card:

I would like to Congradulate the Bride and her Groom on there special day. I was very honored to be apart of there, and become a memory in there Lives. (or something like that)...real sweet and etc...

*then* Cakes by So-So
address, etc

would something like this be tacky???

__Jamie__ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #12 of 35

I personally would never try to push business at a wedding. I am there to deliver a cake, not be seen, and disappear as quickly as I came. If people want you, they'll find you.

cakelady15 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:59pm
post #13 of 35

I would never put my business cards out at anyone's event unless they asked me to. Their event is about them, not me. Just my opinion thoughicon_smile.gif

solascakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:23pm
post #14 of 35

I think it depends on the event,i put like 2 to 3 cards under the cake board for birthday cakes but i haven't for weddings.

ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #15 of 35

I wouldn't advertise at all at their wedding, unless of course, it was arranged before hand. Maybe those brides on a budget would agree to do it for a discount? Most people that come to the wedding aren't looking for a wedding cake, and if they by chance are, I am sure that they would be asking the bride any necessary questions to get in contact with you if they fell in love with your cake. After our wedding we had tons of favors left everywhere that people forgot, so I am sure that the cards would just get tossed. I would just give the bride a few extras with the box.

leah_s Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:26pm
post #16 of 35

Yes, it would be tacky. Generally speaking if you have to ask, then yes, it is.

I will never put my cards out at a wedding, even IF the couple says it's OK, because I know it's not OK.

ladyonzlake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:33pm
post #17 of 35

Only when my clients ask to have business cards do I hand them out. I also think it's tacky to advertise at a wedding.

KoryAK Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:39pm
post #18 of 35

For birthdays I sent 2 cards off in the bottom of the box. For weddings I leave about 8 with the cake info sheet and extra boxes that I give to the catering staff of put under the table. They are in the building for anyone that wants them and not out where the customers can see. I have had people place them on the table, but I never do it myself.

KHalstead Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:51pm
post #19 of 35

I've never put cards out, even when the customers requested that I put some by the cake........however, I've had a ton of orders because the people...even a yr. later remembered loving the flavor of the cake and got in touch with the person in charge of the function they had the cake at and got my number! So even if you don't think people will remember by the end of the night to ask the host for your number, they will!! I let my cakes do the talking and leave extra cards with the host/hostess IF they ask...but they are NEVER placed near the cake!

cfao Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:56pm
post #20 of 35

I would never leave business cards by the cake, BUT this is what I have come up with. I offer the bride's a cake menu to be left at each table IF she would like. You need really nice card stock and take the time to match the customer's theme & colors. I get paper that pre-folds to a small greeting card size. On the front, the bride has a choice of their names and date, their monogram or an item such as a calla lily. Inside, in script that matches her wedding colors, I print: Beverly & Alan have chosen 2 different flavors in their wedding cake tonight. You will have a choice of Chocolate Fudge Cake with Raspberry Lace or Pina Colada Cake with Spiced Rum. I hope you enjoy your dessert as much as I have enjoyed creating it for you. On the back of the card in small gray print is my company name, address and web site address. I have never had a bride say no, they love to have a dinner menu on the table stating the upcoming meal, which invitation companies charge dearly for. The idea of a "cake menu" that she helps design and is provided at no charge to her always an instant YES! They always ask that I leave an extra one, which I place in their card basket, for them to place in their wedding keepsake books.

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #21 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

When you have a big cake order and you know that there is going alot of people there looking at your cake do you send extra cards with the customer ......

Yes. Always send cards with the order. If you don't want to hand them to the customer, staple 3 to the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skaggs1

I just don't want my cards to go to waste.

icon_eek.gif HAnding out biz cards is not "wasting" them. If you don't want them handed out, then don't even print them. YOu should be giving out at least 10 cards a day. At every opportunity.

On the wedding venue issue, I leave a couple of cards with the venue staff ... primarily if they need to call me for anything that night, and for future reference. After I set up the cake, I find a venue representative, explain how the cake is assembled, what the flavors are, where the cake boxes are, whether the top tier is designed to be saved or cut, "....and here's a couple of my cards in case you need anything."

skaggs1 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:58pm
post #22 of 35

Thanks for all the input! I'll just keep doing it they way I have been, one on top of the box and a few in the box. If they want me then they will find my number right?

miss-tiff Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:53am
post #23 of 35

I think it would be better to have them be amazed and seek out your work by asking the bride. (The alternative being they saw the cake and liked it, but then thought your advertisement next to the cake was tacky and then brought it up at every future event they went to. "Last wedding I went to, the cake decorator had this huge display of cards that said Cakey McCake Person all over it! So awful!")

cfao Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #24 of 35

I agree miss-tiff, you should never place anything on the cake table except the cake. I have seen wedding cakes where they have either had a ribbon coming off the bottom of the cake plate that was imprinted with the company name and another where they had a small gumpaste oval leaning against the bottom cake border with their name on it. They both looked tacky. I place the cake menus on the guest's tables, not one per plate setting as a meal menu is usually done, but just 1 small menu per table, usually next to the salt & pepper shakers.

I have had people say it's ok to leave cards/brochures next to their cake, I always say no. A few have brought up they wouldn't think twice about it not looking right, they have mentioned that dj's and bands actually have pre made huge signs or tableclothes with their names and web address on them. This is true, but it's just not acceptable for bakeries to advertise at a wedding like a dj does.

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:31am
post #25 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfao

... but it's just not acceptable for bakeries to advertise at a wedding like a dj does.

There's a rule on this? icon_confused.gif

LaBellaFlor Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #26 of 35

I've never been at a wedding with the D.J. having a sign for them at a table. I think that would be just as tacky. Unless you are about to give me free services, you don't get to advertise for free at my event. I'll be happy to pass long info. word of mouth though.

BigTexinWV Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:41am
post #27 of 35

A local florist that I normally use has started placing advertisments in the card that goes on the flowers. I found this so tacky that they lost my business and the business of my company. I even requested that they not place ANY advertisments on the arrangement I sent my Mother for Valentines Day, well once she opened the card a neon yellow paper was tucked in "reminding" her of the spring "deals" that were coming up.

Bottem line if I saw your cards on a cake table I would think about how tacky it is. I feel that it is disrespectful to your customer, especially a bride. Think about all the pictures of the cake table, I would be mad if business cards were on my table during my wedding.

Let your cake speak for itself.

leah_s Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:42am
post #28 of 35
Quote:

but it's just not acceptable for bakeries to advertise at a wedding like a dj does.

No, that's a tacky DJ also.

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:29am
post #29 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Quote:

but it's just not acceptable for bakeries to advertise at a wedding like a dj does.

No, that's a tacky DJ also.

See, that's kinda where I was going .... if it's considered tacky for one, then it's tacky for all. If it's ok for one, then it's ok for all.

luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:36am
post #30 of 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by miss-tiff

I think it would be better to have them be amazed and seek out your work by asking the bride. (The alternative being they saw the cake and liked it, but then thought your advertisement next to the cake was tacky and then brought it up at every future event they went to. "Last wedding I went to, the cake decorator had this huge display of cards that said Cakey McCake Person all over it! So awful!")

I found the name of my business! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%