Mmf - It Does Not Roll Out Smooth-Tiny Air Bubbles

Decorating By gscout73 Updated 9 Apr 2009 , 5:40am by Frankyola

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:47am
post #1 of 19

Ok, all you MMF wizards out there: I've made the MMF and it tastes great and while kneading it, it appears perfect.
Intil I roll it out. icon_eek.gif
There are teeny-tiny air bubbles that I just can't avoid. icon_cry.gif
I've made 3 batches and they are all the same. thumbsdown.gif
I know they are air bubbles and not lumps of sugar because for batches 2 and 3 I sifted the sugar 2x. And, when I pierce the larger bubbles with a pin, they magically disappear icon_wink.gif
But there are just so many tiny ones that they all cannot be pierced with a pin. tapedshut.gif

Yes, I've spent a lot of time on this because although I love everything about Satin Ice, it is expensive. And MMF is so much cheaper.

What am I doing wrong? How can I make MMF that rolls out as smooth as store bought fondant? Calgon, take me away!!! detective.gif

18 replies
majka_ze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:59am
post #2 of 19

One way how to avoid this is little bit work intense. You roll out your fondant as thin as you can, make a ball of it again, kneed a little, roll out again. Sometimes it takes up to three "tries" to get it perfect. Don't add sugar or else your MMF becomes too dry.

Another thing - did you let the MMF rest overnight? You don't need to but it helps with the consistency.

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:21am
post #3 of 19

I am still quite new at this, but lately i too have been disappointed with the batches of MMF i have made lately, they are sometimes "spongy" or lumpy or full of air bubbles....what i do is put the marshmellows in a bowl and empy a whole bag of chocolate melts on the marshmellows and microwave, i use no water and very little confectioners sugar...it sets up nicer and tastes delicious..

gscout73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:35am
post #4 of 19

Interestig tips. Yes, I've let it rest. So I am thinking it is in my mixing/kneeding process.

I will try both suggestions. I have seen many posts where cc members have added candy melts but I have not done that as I don't know the ratio. Is it 1 bag of melts for every large bag of mini marshmallows?

Also, I was thinking of giving Michelle Foster's fondant recipe a try (although MFF is so much easier and less ingredients). But she says it is offwhite and white color can be added..... white color? what is white color??? dunce.gif Is she referring to that whitner that wilton sells that looks like paint? lol or is there a magic "white" color that I don't know about?

Sandy

grandmaruth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmaruth Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:44am
post #5 of 19

yep, it is one bag melts to one large bag marshmallows icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:10pm
post #6 of 19

I use macsmoms mmf recipe found here and I never had a problem with it having air bubbles.

I do allow it to rest over night and then knead it some more before I roll it out.

Maybe yours needs more kneading? Not sure.

gscout73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:42pm
post #7 of 19

Oh, I knead... and knead.... and, well, you get the pic. The texture appears perfect and all, until I roll it out. Then orange peel skin.

Sandy

AnitaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnitaK Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:53pm
post #8 of 19

the last MMF that I made had many air bubbles - I wondered if it was the result of using Jet Puffed MM, rather than regular. Previous times I've used regular MM and didn't have a problem.

Did you use Jet Puffed?

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:57pm
post #9 of 19

I know what the problem is.........I used to have this problem!! You're overheating the marshmallows.......you need to melt them until they are JUST melted...it will still look like they're not melted but as you stir they melt down. Then when you're ready to add the PS to them, give your bowl a wack on the counter and it will bring the air bubbles to the surface. For whatever reason...every time I heat the MM until they're completely melted I get all those air bubbles.....and a couple of times it was so elastic and stretchy I had to throw it away!

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:03pm
post #10 of 19

Sandy, not sure what you are doing to get the air bubbles, but sometimes the larger ones happen for me and kneading in a little more veg. shortening helps.

I used to make marshmallow fondant all the time, but after I tried Michele Foster's there's no turning back for me unless I am covering a board with fondant or need some for figures. As well, I prefer it to Satin Ice 100%. When Michele says it's not bright white, it is just a little off white. If you can get a hold of any true gel food coloring in white (I use Americolor - Bright White) you can whiten it up. The Wilton liquid whitener is okay in a pinch, but a gel food color is better. I, personally, don't find it so off white that I need to fool with brightening it up any.

Also, when I make marshmallow, I always use Jet Puff and don't find that it makes any difference in amount of air bubbles.

HTH

Win Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Win Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:08pm
post #11 of 19

Yep, would agree with KHalstead... don't overheat marshmallows! that causes a myriad of problems including crystallization. Also, heat in 30 second increments, stir, then heat again to just the point of almost melted. Should only take about three cycles of stirring intermittently.

lostincake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lostincake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:12pm
post #12 of 19

KHalstead may be onto something...your issues may be due to overheating the MM. I've never had the type of air bubble problems you mention but I have had consistency issues. Make sure to microwave in 30 sec intervals, stirring in between for no more than 2 minutes - usually it just takes 1.5 minutes for the MM's to puff up at which point they are sufficiently "melted" even if they don't look it.

I also find the brand of MM used is important. For some reason I find Kraft Jet Puffed does not work for me - too elasticy without give. I am now exclusively using Walmart's store brand and it's gotten a lot more consistent.

HTH. icon_smile.gif

holly4409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
holly4409 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:16pm
post #13 of 19

I have used this one
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1949-0-Marshmallow-Fondant-MMF.html[/url]

I have made it twice now, and have never had issues (and I am really new at this.)

edited to add-- I use the generic store brand (once WalMart brand and once Raley's brand) and both turned out good.

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:46pm
post #14 of 19

I have had this problem a few times with my MMF... the first time it happened I rolled all the MMF into a ball, covered it in a thin layer of crisco, double wrapped it in cling wrap, placed it into a zip lock bag and put it in my pantry for a week. Thankfully it was just a "practice batch" so I wasn't under any time constraint... but after sitting for a week I rolled it out and it was totally flawless and had the most perfect consistency. I'm pretty sure I used Jet Puff too... I think that's all my supermarket carries.

I always make the large batch in my KA and let it "rest" for a few days and now have perfect MMF every time.

HTH!

gscout73 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:57pm
post #15 of 19

oooooooookaaaayyy... don't over heat the marshmallows. Yes, only used Jet PUffed!. I read all the threads and posts abt MMF and know that is the most important part, regardless of the recipe. I've been cooking until creamy.... hm. I tried kneading in Crisco in the second batch and it was aweful- I ended up putting in too much. I will try the candy melts and will try not cooking the MM. I was afraid of unmelted lumps icon_lol.gif

I will try tonight!! Why not, I've got too much time on my hands (being laid off sucks).

I knew I would get the experts out of the wood work. I want to be a MMF expert, too. I love the taste. Oh, I also did try the colored/flavored minis. Yes, sorted 3 bags and made them into MMF and they also taste great.... just.. a... little.... prob.... these also roll out like orange peel skin!! icon_confused.gif But I am determined to make this work. Thank's y'all. Luv ya!!

Sandy

Stacybugg75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stacybugg75 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:31pm
post #16 of 19

Grandmaruth (or anyone who knows)... would you please explain in more detail about the candy melts in the mmf? I haven't heard of that, but it sounds scrumptious! What is the purpose of this combo? Can you cover a cake with it?

I'm really excited to hear more about this!!!!

gscout73 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:30pm
post #17 of 19

I would immagine the candy melts take the place of crisco + sugar. makes sence.

Sandy
btw, I didn't get to try it last night, I'm gunna try this eve.

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:05am
post #18 of 19

I tried a little of the marshmallows and choc candy melts - 2 thumb up!! Tastes like a tootsie roll and has an awesome choc brown color!

Going to try the white choc tomorrow.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 9 Apr 2009 , 5:40am
post #19 of 19

Try Michele Foster's Fondant it is the best, before I had the bubble problems all the time now with Michele Foster's Never have problems at all, here is the recipe

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-7432-Michele-Fosters-Updated-Fondant.html

For flowers and figures I use this one and I am in Love with Michele's fondant and Nicholas L. gupaste, the best ever and you don't have to pay a lot of money buying other king.

Tylose Gumpaste

Tylose is an alternative product to use in making gumpaste instead of gum tragacanth. The advantage of the tylose is that the paste is less expensive,, easier to make, holds up better in humidity and is whiter in color. The 55g container makes approximately 3 pounds of finished gumpaste.

The following recipe will make approximately 2 pounds of gumpaste.

4 - Large Egg Whites
1 - 2 lb. bag 10x powdered sugar
12 - Level teaspoons Tylose (Available in our online store)
4 - Teaspoons shortening (Crisco)

1. Place the egg whites in a Kitchen Aid mixer bowl fitted with the flat paddle.

2. Turn the mixer on high speed for 10 seconds to break up the egg whites.

3. Reserve 1 cup of the powdered sugar and set aside.

4. Turn the mixer to the lowest speed and slowly add the remaining sugar. This will make a soft consistency royal icing.

5. Turn up the speed to setting 3 or 4 for about 2 minutes. During this time measure off the tylose into a small container.

6. Make sure the mixture is at the soft peak stage. It should look shiny, like meringue and the peaks fall over. (If coloring the entire batch, add the paste color at this stage, making it a shade darker than the desired color.)

7. Turn the mixer to the slow setting and sprinkle the tylose in over a five second time period. Next, turn the speed up to the high setting for a few seconds. (This will thicken the mixture.

8. Scrape the mixture out of the bowl onto a work surface that has been sprinkled with some of the reserved 1 cup of
powdered sugar. Place the shortening on your hands and knead the paste, adding enough of the reserved powdered sugar to form a soft but not sticky dough. You can check by pinching with your fingers and they should come away clean. Place the finished paste in a zip-top bag, then place the bagged paste in a second bag and seal well.

9. Place in the refrigerator for 24 hours if possible before using to mature the paste.

10. Before use, remove from refrigerator and allow the paste to come to room temperature. Take a small amount of shortening on the end of your finger and knead this into the paste. If you are coloring the paste, add the paste color at this stage.

11. Always store the paste in the zip-top bags and return to the refrigerator when you are not using the paste. Will keep under refrigeration for approximately 6 months. You can keep the paste longer by freezing. Be sure to use zip-top freezer bags. If you will be freezing a batch of paste, allow it to mature for 24 hours in the refrigerator first before placing into the freezer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%