What Would You Suggest?

Decorating By melodyangel1978 Updated 20 Aug 2005 , 11:14am by vitade

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:14pm
post #1 of 13

I have a friend who wants a crocheted (sp?) look to her baby shower cake. Basically she wants it to resemble an afghan, or quilt. What tip would you use to achieve this effect? I have seen a couple pics, but I am not sure how they were done. Thanks so much! thumbs_up.gif

12 replies
GinaJuarez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momoftwogirls Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:43pm
post #3 of 13

what a cute look! I have never seen anything like that!!!

mamafrogcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamafrogcakes Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 9:59pm
post #4 of 13
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 18 Aug 2005 , 10:24pm
post #5 of 13

WOW that bear looks like alot of work.. YIKES!!

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 4:15am
post #6 of 13

That bear is awesome!! I agree with Briansbaker... A LOT OF WORK!! I would probably only do something like that once. It is sooo cute though!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 4:44am
post #7 of 13

WOW!! Adorable, but if I did that cake, by the time I finished, my eyes would be crossed and my hands numb!! If I finished at all! lol Good Luck - icon_smile.gif

meme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meme Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 13

JennT you are not the only one! my eyes where hurting just looking at that cake! It is cute but looks so teedious. I tried cross stiching one time couldn't do it it kept makeing me nauseous do to my eyes looking at all those tiny squares. This cake would be a challenge for me, I would have to do it in intervals! LOL

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 13

Maybe you could do a cake like the sheet cake, and just do a couple of the squares like the bear. Then do the remaining squares like the ones on the sheet cake. Hope that makes sense.

melodyangel1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyangel1978 Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 8:12pm
post #10 of 13

Thanks, I think because of time constraints I will do the one that looks like a quilt instead of the crocheted look. But I will have to try that sometime, it is too cute! icon_biggrin.gif Thanks for the ideas!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 8:16pm
post #11 of 13

Maybe something like this:
http://www.wilton.com/recipes/recipesandprojects/babyshower/snuggle.cfm

I've done that one before and it's with a star tip. Maybe you could do the crochet instead?

BJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BJ Posted 19 Aug 2005 , 9:05pm
post #12 of 13

MelodyAngel - I did a baby sweater cake (see my pixs) and I used tips 14 and 16 to create a crocheted (sp?) look. Just a thought. Good luck. thumbs_up.gif

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 20 Aug 2005 , 11:14am
post #13 of 13

You could always used fondant. It comes in pre-colored packs now and with an embossing tool, make it look like a quilt and lay it, alittle crumpled over an edge of the cake or cover a little "baby" with it. I think that would be the quickest.

Rose

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%