Need Help - Piping Tips For Newbie

Decorating By G_Cakes Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48am by G_Cakes

G_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
G_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:44am
post #1 of 12

I am new to CC, and have only recently began to experiment with different ideas as far as cake decorating goes.

I love working with fondant, and am currently experimenting with gum paste flowers.

My biggest draw back is that I can not pipe anything to save my life!!!

I have gotten many books from the library, watched videos online and still my piping is terrible.

I see all the wonderful pictures online where everyone does perfect little dots, or beautiful basket weaves, or elegant writing all piped with various types of frosting's... but sadly I can not even pipe a straight line never mind a peakless dot on parchment paper and I practice it almost daily.

I am not sure what I am doing wrong, but am hoping there may be someone out there who has a tip or special technique that will help me get the hang of piping.

Thanks for reading and looking forward to any feedback and help. icon_redface.gif

11 replies
ClassyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ClassyMommy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:06am
post #2 of 12

Welcome to CC!!! icon_biggrin.gif

I am not that great either, but I have noticed that I am getting better with practice. I just keep reminding myself that practice makes better! Another thing that it could be is the consistency of your buttercream. I have also heard a good tip that helps me is to keep some ice off to the side on a plate and every few minutes put your icing bag down on the ice so that it can get cold again. I guess your hand can warm up the icing making it not look right when it comes out. What happens when you pipe icing? I guess that there could be a number of things happening. Are you able to keep your hands steady?

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:30am
post #3 of 12

Take a Wilton class! It sounds like Courses 1, 2, and 3 would be great for you, as piping is taught in various forms throughout these 3 courses. It is great to be able to learn from someone who is right there to help you. icon_smile.gif

Monkess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monkess Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:37pm
post #4 of 12

Welcome to CC...you will learn alot here. I believe that a formal course either at a community college or even at Michaels-a Wilton class is a big aid for a beginner. It helps to be around others in the same boat and piques your interest alot. Good luck!

G_Cakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you all for the encouragement I think I am gonna do the Wilton Classes at a local Micheals where I live.

Glad to know its not just me.

Most of the problems I have is when I use royal icing, mostly I dont have a steady hand when I pipe; but also it seems so hard to squeeze it out or get it to go where I want it...LOL it almost seems like it has a mind of it's own.

I will keep at it and thanks so much for the warm CC welcome...I love this site and all of it's users icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #6 of 12

1st off WELCOME icon_smile.gif I agree about taking Wilton classes. YOu will learn all the basics.....but just that icon_smile.gif

Don't use royal icon_smile.gif Buttercream is what you should be practicing with.
If it is hard to squeeze thru a tip it needs to be thinned down.

NiteOwl4evr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NiteOwl4evr Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:58pm
post #7 of 12

I totally recommend taking Wilton classes. If you get a good instructor you will learn so much. Then it is practice practice practice! Good luck and welcome to CC. This place alone will teach you things you can not imagine. There is ALWAYS someone here to help and answer your questions...no question is dumb. CC's will inspire you and give you the confidence to try all kinds of techniques. Welcome aboard. thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:36am
post #8 of 12

All good advice, I would like to offer another piece.

Your "peakless dot" doesn't have anything to do with how you pipe it. That peak is going to be there no matter how you do it. To get rid of that peak wait for it to crust over, then flatten it with your finger. Easy peasy.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:29am
post #9 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose_N_Crantz

All good advice, I would like to offer another piece.

Your "peakless dot" doesn't have anything to do with how you pipe it. That peak is going to be there no matter how you do it. To get rid of that peak wait for it to crust over, then flatten it with your finger. Easy peasy.

The beauty of Wilton classes (or other cake classes) is that your instructor will show you how to correctly pipe dots so that they do NOT have peaks. icon_smile.gif

I taught a roomful of people tonight how to pipe peak-free dots, and a thousand more before that. Literally. icon_biggrin.gif

paula19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paula19 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:39am
post #10 of 12

I also agree. it's probably the best option. The instructor can personally help you if you are having any difficulty. Sometimes even a little detail can affect a technique, but the instructor can point out any mistakes you're doing and correct it. But since you wouldn't be the only one in the class, you'll have to speak up. I didn't all the time cuz i'm kind of shy that way, but thankfully I learned pretty quick. Sometimes I just had to ask for help though. I suggest you do ask for help whenever you need to, to master the techniques icon_smile.gif

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 7:31am
post #11 of 12

I agree, take the classes, it'll help a lot. I've been doing cake on and off for 15 years without ever taking a class. This month I took 4 classes. Learned some stuff I didn't know! woohoo!

in the meantime, are you over-filling your bags? I would suggest keeping the bag no more than half-full for now. and probably even less than that

G_Cakes Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #12 of 12

I just signed up tonight for my 1st Wilton Class at Michael's in Whitby and I am so excited. My first class begins next week on the 7th of April.

Thank you all again for the tips and advice. Will keep you posted on my progress icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%