Fondant Vs. Gumpaste

Decorating By rhowe7778 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 7:20am by Cakepro

rhowe7778 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhowe7778 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:42am
post #1 of 6

I am new in this cake decorating, I wondering what is the different working on fondant and gumpaste? And the taste too? Thanks in advance for the comments.

5 replies
cakeandpartygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:08am
post #2 of 6

Fondant is much more pleasing to the pallate(sp???) than gumpaste. Gumpaste dries harder than fondant. If you look at the recipes of fondant vs gumpaste. Gumpaste either has tylose powder or gum-tex (for the hardness) and cornsyrup or glucose. Fondant has cornsyrup and glycerine for the flexibility. Many times people use a gumpaste fondant mix to add stability for different decorations. Gumpaste has the ability to be rolled out much thinner than fondant which is really helpful for flowers. Gumpaste has more of a clay feel than fondant to me anyway. HTH

rhowe7778 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhowe7778 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:22am
post #3 of 6

Thanks for the very helpful tips. How long you can save the gumpaste? and how to store it?

cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:34am
post #4 of 6

I am not sure of the length of time of storing gumpaste. I only make it when I need it. The main thing for me is to wrap it up as air tight as possible and then store it in another storage bag.

cakeandpartygirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:35am
post #5 of 6

I forgot to add that it dries out quickly too

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:20am
post #6 of 6

Gumpaste consists of egg whites, powdered sugar, shortening, and Tylose, which is a hardening agent. It has the ability to be rolled thinner than paper and dries very hard. Its primary use is for making extremely lifelike flowers. It is not typically eaten because it is used for decorative elements.

Fondant is a pliable sugar dough that is rolled out and put on cakes as a rolled icing. It is sweet and can be flavored any way you like.

Many people mix gumpaste and fondant together to make flowers, figures, and decorative elements like bow loops.

Gumpaste keeps under refrigeration for up to 6 months and up to a year in the freezer. Air is its enemy, so be sure to keep it wrapped really well. You can keep it at room temperature too, but for long-term storage, put it in the fridge or freezer.

Welcome to Cake Central and to cake decorating! Feel free to pour a cup of coffee and settle in for some reading. Most questions have already been asked (LOL) so check out the search feature to find many in-depth discussions on all aspects of cake decorating. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%