Anybody Know How To Make A Chocolate Record??

Decorating By cakesformykids Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm by christeena

cakesformykids Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:54am
post #1 of 5

Okay, so I am completely new to cake decorating, so far I have only decorated 2 cakes and did pretty well, to my surprise..I am the type that really likes to think about things for awhile and currently have 3 cakes "mentally" in the works and am having trouble thinking one through so I am hoping that somebody here has a recommendation...what I am going to be doing is a cake for my daughter's 2nd birthday...she wants a Ni-Hao Ki-lan bday and what I decided to do was make 2 square cakes into turntables and make a fondant Ho-Ho (a monkey character on the cartoon that spins music, for those of you w/out kidsicon_smile.gif.....I want to make 2 chocolate records to put on top of the square cakes to create the look of turntables...I have 3 months until her birthday so I have plenty of time...anybody with suggestions?? Thank you so much!!!

4 replies
Lidunka25 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:06am
post #2 of 5

Does it have to be chocolate? Did you think about chocolate marshmallow fondant and let it dry up? U can roll it flat and just cut circle with pot or cake form... u know what i mean right? And with knife or pastry wheel do the record lines and in the middle with cup the yellow circle. Do you get me? I hope I understood your question correctly icon_smile.gif

Sweet_Guys Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:36pm
post #3 of 5

There is a chocolate record mold out on the market that you could purchase, fill, refrigerate, and pop out. We have molded them and then added sayings in buttercream, royal, or chocolate.

Paul & Peter

sheilabelle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #4 of 5

I don't know what size record you want, but you do something like a chocolate transfer. Print out a circle (the size you want the record) on your computer. Tape this onto the back of a cookie sheet and tape a piece of wax paper over the circle. Melt milk chocolate and comb the lines in. When this sets up then pour dark chocolate over it (it should fill in the comb marks) and should look like grooves in a record. When this has set up carefully flip it off the cookie sheet, and you have a record. Never tried this, but this is what I would. If I messed it up I figure I could always remelt the chocolate.

christeena Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:57pm
post #5 of 5

If it were me, I'd just buy an old record at a resale shop, wipe it down with a mild bleach solution and then I'd pour some melted candy melts on it, pop in the freezer for a few minutes and then just pop it off. If you are worried about it sticking to the old vinyl record, maybe spray a cooking spray on it lightly. I tend to go right to the source, if at all possible!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%