Recreating A 30 Year-Old Wedding Cake

Decorating By sweetsbyjen Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 3:02am by sweetsbyjen

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:38am
post #1 of 14

I have been asked to re-create a wedding cake for a couple celebrating their 30th wedding anniversary. Now, I appreciate cakes that were made in the 70's, but I just feel they are very gaudy and out-dated.

I am going to do my best to re-create this cake but feel I should make it a little more modern and simple. I just don't feel comfortable re-creating a "gaudy" cakewith my name on it. Any adivce?

here is a picture of the original:
LL

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:06am
post #2 of 14

Um....you re-create the cake, as the customer asked you to, especially if they are paying for it.

If you're doing this as a freebie, then maybe you have more leeway.

But ....

If I asked for my cake to be re-created for my 30th anniversary (and bearing in mind that not many folks make it to 10, let alone 30), and the decorator pretty much said, "Well, your cake was ugly so I made something that *I*, in my superior wisdom and artistic ability, thought was MUCH better", not only would I ask for a refund, but would break my neck to tell everyone to get their cake somewhere else.

Look, I think it takes a LOT of talent to re-create something from that long ago. And I don't know if you're a BC or a fondant person, but if this isn't the medium you're used to working in, it can be a fabulous challenge for the artistic side of you. And when the client just swoons over how great it looks, then you get paid in something more valuable than money. thumbs_up.gif

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:11am
post #3 of 14

I agree with Debi, just think of the look on the bride's face when she sees "her cake" recreated for such a special occasion =)

Etchlain09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Etchlain09 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:18am
post #4 of 14

I agree, a wedding is a pretty precious memory. I would love to be a part of that nostalgia, even from the gaudy 70's. If I were you, I would try to get it as dead-on as I could.

cheferyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cheferyn Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #5 of 14

i agree. i recently remade a cake from 50 yrs ago. of course, the whole time i'm thinking that this is so out dated and over done but the look on the bride's face and the tears streaming down her cheeks was worth my unhappiness with the design. in my opinion, if that's what she wants, then let her have her day.

Idreamofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Idreamofcakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:19am
post #6 of 14

I was asked to do the same thing about a year ago. While I was meeting with the lady, she kept laughing about how 70 ish the cake was. So I said I could do and "updated" version of her cake, she was so excited about that. She absolutely cried when she saw the cake, she just loved it! She said when I make her 60 yr anniversary cake she can't wait to see how I update that!! LOL it was a lot of fun. I don't know if this helps, but if you know her or if you can "read" her well enough you might suggest this idea? I know some people could get offended by it too.

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:24am
post #7 of 14

I agree with everyone.. Go for it... Hehehe I remember when the cakes looked like that! I even had one OK two.. heheh ...I was just thinking how no one wants swoops and swirls anymore.. sure glad I learned fondant!!

Go for it... you will love it... when she sees her cake..

Ladyfish74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladyfish74 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:26am
post #8 of 14

I just did one of these. I had to enlarge it because it was for twice the amount of people that they had at the wedding. I duplicated the cake--yellow buttercream roses, plastic doves and all. They loved it.
Don't be concerned about your name being associated with a gaudy cake. I am just about 100% positive that they will have the picture of the original cake there to show their guests and everyone will marvel at your talent for frosting nostalgia. People realize that cakes have changed. It won't reflect on your reputation as an up to date cake artist. If anything, it will make you look versatile and experienced.
This probably won't be the last request you have for this kind of thing. It's not our favorite thing to do, I know, but it's part of the business. The next cake order you get from them might be for their daughter or granddaughter and then you will really get a chance to show what you can do.

icon_wink.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:28am
post #9 of 14

I been asked throught the years for cakes resembling old wedding cakes and let me tell you. They might be gaudy, but some of them have a lot of work!.. And definitively is best to make happy a costumer doing what they ask for, than doing what you think is best. You wont have a happy costumer.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyfish74

Don't be concerned about your name being associated with a gaudy cake. I am just about 100% positive that they will have the picture of the original cake there to show their guests and everyone will marvel at your talent for frosting nostalgia.

Absolutely! They will break their neck to tell everyone how you can do ANYTHING because of how well you dupl'd that cake. thumbs_up.gif

Rocketgirl899 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rocketgirl899 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:50am
post #11 of 14

indydebi is right.

you have the opposite problem as I did a year ago!

My parents 35 anniversary came and i was going to recreate there wedding cake.. but in snooping I found out that my mom HATED her cake and wanted a tiered cake with pillar seperators but they couldn't afford it. So I just made something new... (its in my photos if you care)

Take it as a challange, i think one of the trims is called a reverse chandelier ... i saw a post about this recently.

Good luck and post a pick when ur done! Those photos are old its hard to see detail!

bisbqueenb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bisbqueenb Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #12 of 14

I did one a few years ago for a 25th anniversary. I love the fact the 'bride' told me that I got the color of the flowers just right... the color she had wanted on her original cake! She said she liked the anniversary cake better..... made my day! And since I had made cakes "that long ago".... it was easy to do the swags...the ruffles...and all the do-dads! Must say I like todays styles much better, but would never turn down a request to recreate a fond memory!

aswartzw Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aswartzw Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:40pm
post #13 of 14

I don't like those cakes either but the opportunity to try my hand at the piping back then and actually making a cake that many think are "the only true type of wedding cake" would be thrilling! I agree with indydebi. Look at the experience you can gain from this. thumbs_up.gif

sweetsbyjen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbyjen Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 3:02am
post #14 of 14

Thanks everyone for your replies, I didn't know I was getting any replies b/c I wasn't getting emails.

First, I, in no way want to offend anyone by saying the cake was "gaudy". I am sure in 30 years I will say my wedding cake is "gaudy" haha.
I'm from a younger generation and have mostly admired fondant wedding cakes for their simplicity. I just felt this cake was not my style. I mostly work with fondant. I have been completely honest with the customer (the daughter of the bride) that I am still learning and she was persistent about me making this for her.

I am very excited to challenge myself with this one. I feel that I will try my best to get it as spot on as possible.

I guess what it comes down to is, this cake looks somewhat difficult (To me at least), and I guess I am letting my confidence get in the way icon_redface.gif . I just have to believe in myself and take it all in as experience.

Thanks again for all your comments, I can always count on the CC crew!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%