Giant Cookie As A Filling

Decorating By abra526 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm by momma28

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:46am
post #1 of 15

I want put a cookie layer between my cake layers for an upcoming Easter cake. It will be cake, buttercream, cookie, buttercream, cake. My question is about how to bake the cookie. I was going to use the same pan that I bake the cakes in so that it is the same size as the cakes. Does anyone have any hints on getting it to bake evenly? I have never baked a giant cookie before. It will probably be an 8" round pan. TIA!

14 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:50am
post #2 of 15

I've never done this but a question comes to mind .... how difficult is this to cut with a cookie in the center? icon_confused.gif

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:55am
post #3 of 15

I was wondering the same as indydebi... I would think a cookie would give quite a bit of resistance...
I would imagine it would be yummy, but I'd just break the cookie into chunks and mix it with the BC. Sorry I'm no help!

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:58am
post #4 of 15

I would use the same pan you baked the cake in and when it comes out of the oven flip it out and flatten with the bottom of the pan while still hot..
Indydebi...
I thought the same thing.. so tried it on a givaway cake they loved it..! said it absorbed some of the moisture of the frosting and was nice and soft. I havn't made another since (just another step..I dont' feel is necessary)but they said it was great!

servingzero Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
servingzero Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #5 of 15

Oh, I suppose that's true... yummy soft cookie center - I'd be interested in seeing a picture of the inside. It sure does sound delish!

liapsim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liapsim Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #6 of 15

I did it too with a sugar cookie. I actually underbaked it by about a minute and flipped mine out immediately.....it cut right through when it was time to eat!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:04am
post #7 of 15

This works really nice with a good moist sugar cookie or chocolate chip cookie recipe. Bake it in the cake pan at a lower temp than you would normally. DEFINITELY assemble the cake at least one day ahead of when it will be served. The cookie will absorb moisture from the buttercream and it comes out like a wonderfully dense cookie/cake hybrid. It slices with NO problem after that as well. I love doing this... do a search of the forums because I know there is at least one lengthy post about this.

msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:05am
post #8 of 15

Use the same size pan that you are baking your layers in. I made mine with the Pillsbury peanut butter cookie mix (the one in the bag). It made a thick cookie and was actually a little soft. But you can cook it till it's crisp. Once it's between the layers of buttercream and cake, it will actually soften up. It's really good.

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:20am
post #9 of 15

i've mixed oreos into buttercream before and they do KIND OF soften as long as its been overnight or so.

i've never done this the way you are asking, but i would suggest layering your pan w/ parchment paper (a large circle, cutting w/ scissors every inch or so, so that you could fold it up higher than the cookie) so you can release the cookie from the pan without breaking it.

if it were myself, i'd prefer to fill w/ whipping cream instead of buttercream. it will soften the cookie a bit more and i just think the extra moisture would be a nice combination. you'd still need bc though for piping a dam to hold the cream and for the outside frosting.

mysweetconfetions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mysweetconfetions Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:22am
post #10 of 15

I have done this acouple of times with my DSL's groom's cake and the chair potato cake in my pics. I just baked the cookie in the pan I baked the cake in. I used CC cookies both times and just underbaked them by about a minute. The cakes were not hard to cut through and everybody raved about how good they were. HTH

nikki72905 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki72905 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:23am
post #11 of 15

I thought this idea would be great with "fudge" or Brownie but could not figure out how to do it. I wanted to do a Brownie Mocha Fudge cake ... but have no idea how to do it.

Also the fudgy stuff in ice cream, I wanted to put that through a cake (the filling mixed with buttercream) but I dont know what it is .... Still trying to figure these few things out.... always on the back burner until the idea strikes...

abra526 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abra526 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:36am
post #12 of 15

Thanks for all the responses, guys! I knew I could count on you! I'm anxious to try it, because I knew I had heard about it, and thought it sounded wonderful, I had just never had a chance to try it. We still haven't decided on final flavors just yet, but some yummy ideas are now cirlcling in my head. I'm thinking chocolate cake with peanut butter cookie filling....I'll post pics of a cut piece of cake. Thanks again!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:44am
post #13 of 15

Here's a link to a rather lengthy thread posted a while ago on this very topic:

http://cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-607123.html

mommyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:56am
post #14 of 15

Just don't do a shortbread cookie. I origionally come from Winnipeg, Manitoba, and we have Jeannie's Cake there. the base is a Yummy shortbread. It is stiff to cut through (just like a normal shortbread), and it's just a good thing it's on the bottom!!!!

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #15 of 15

I have made my cheescake with a cookie bottom crust for a while now (I use a choc chip oatmeal cookie made with high quality milk and white choc chips) and it is great so I am anxious to try a cookie in a cake icon_smile.gif Thanks for this great thread!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%