Armadillo Cake-- How-To & Construction Help?

Decorating By MemphisMom9801 Updated 12 Sep 2013 , 9:01pm by patticake1951

MemphisMom9801 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MemphisMom9801 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:43am
post #1 of 25

I thought I would post this here, too. I'm considering making an armadillo shaped cake for a friend. However, before I give her an answer, I'm looking to do some research on how to construct a cake of this type and decide for myself whether or not I think I can tackle this project. I saw several armadillo cakes in the gallery. Would any of you kind souls that have attempted this cake... and anyone who just may have some great advice... please help me out here? I appreciate any responses!

24 replies
johnniekake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnniekake Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:51am
post #2 of 25

here is one that I did.......really easy....pm me and I will tell you how I did it.
LL
LL
LL

Vylette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vylette Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #3 of 25

that cake is so realistic, its scary!
AWESOME job on that johnniekake

MemphisMom9801 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:14pm
post #4 of 25

Thanks johnniekake! Great armadillo!! I'll pm you soon. Vylette... the inside of that cake in your avatar is so cool!! icon_biggrin.gif

MemphisMom9801 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 25

Anyone else?? Feel free to jump right on in here with any helpful hints! icon_smile.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #6 of 25

I did an armadillo about a year ago (it's in my picture gallery). It's more "cartoony" than johnniekake's, but it was an easy & fun cake to do. Check it out and let me know if you need instructions!

MemphisMom9801 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 25

Yes, please, bakerbear.... I would love any help I can get. Very cute cake... I also love your M & M's and fish cake, too. Good work! icon_smile.gif You can pm me if you'd like.

MemphisMom9801 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 25

Anyone else out there? I really would appreciate all help I can get on this. Please??

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:20pm
post #9 of 25

http://www. allinonebakeshop .com/documents/armadillocakeinstructionsheet.pdf

Here's something I found on google. Maybe it will help? Good luck!

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #10 of 25

Ok, so I see some of you suggesting that people look at your personal photos. How do I get to someones personal photo galleries?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:39am
post #11 of 25

I have made quite a few armadillos. Unfortunately I have no pictures to post because I did the cakes before I started using digital photos.

I started with 2 sheet cakes, the size depending on how many servings I needed. I stacked them, then carved the cake into an oval shape. Then I rounded the top. I used the scraps to build up the heighth and make the feet. I used a single layer round for the face. I cut off a small slice of one side to give me a flat side to "butt up" against the body, then carved the face shape. Again, I used the scraps to build up the upper part of the face. I made the ears out of gumpaste. I started with some cake scrap, then added fondant to make the long tail.

I used a large rose tip (124 or 125) to make the stripes, and a bag with just a coupler to make the large dots, and various sizes of round tips to make the smaller dots. After decorating, I used the airbrush to give more dimension and shadow.

BeeBoos, if you look at the membership list at the upper portion on this page, you can search the list for particular people. On the replies in the forum, you can look for the little Photo icon at the bottom of the note and click on that to see that posters photos.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:57am
post #12 of 25

Check out my blog. I did one a few weeks ago. Easy-peasy! http://butterflysweets.blogspot.com/2009/01/i-need-nap.html

MemphisMom9801 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:11am
post #13 of 25

Thank you so much to everyone for all of your help! I'm going to take the tips I've learned and make a practice run-through to see how my own turns out before I commit to making one for my friend. Classiccake... thanks so much for the detailed instructions. That's what I've been looking for. SummerNoelle... love that armadillo cake! Can I pm you later for my help and tips if I need them? HA... 'if"... that's funny. icon_lol.gif WHEN I need them is what I should say! icon_razz.gif

hummingbird59 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hummingbird59 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #14 of 25

MemphisMom...I am so glad you asked this. This is what my grandson wants for his 18th birthday.
Good luck with yours. I'll try to get my nerve up to try this since it will be for family only.
I loved the photos of all those that replied. Photos help me more than instructions.

MemphisMom..don't forget to post your photo.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:11pm
post #15 of 25

Of course!

cwlynne1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwlynne1 Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 2:53pm
post #16 of 25

did you make the Armidillo cake?  I would like to do one for my niece....can you help with instructions please, I would so appreciate it.....

char

ddaigle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ddaigle Posted 11 Aug 2013 , 3:05pm
post #17 of 25

I did one.   The head was rice krispy treats that I made ahead of time and dried.  This one was ridiculously large...2 half sheets...I would never do that size again..it looked stupid that big.   I would use 2 quarter sheets next time.   I printed up a ton of pictures from all different angles and just started carving.   The body is not that difficult...It's all about the fondant detailing.   I used the cobblestone impression mat for the top part and used spatulas for the the rest.   I remember the fondant starting to dry out before I could finish that middle part with the spatula work.   Next time I'd make the fondant thicker....and work faster. 

The bride refused to allow her husband to display this at the reception.   Brides really piss me off sometimes...so it was used for the rehearsal dinner. 

http://anotherpieceofcake.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_179f6/tn_1200_efa2f34fbd8f3abc7449196a27fbbce5.jpg.png

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 2:20pm
post #18 of 25

That would piss me off too! 

Do you remember how many this fed?

LoriMc Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 2:21pm
post #19 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddaigle 

I did one.   The head was rice krispy treats that I made ahead of time and dried.  This one was ridiculously large...2 half sheets...I would never do that size again..it looked stupid that big.   I would use 2 quarter sheets next time.   I printed up a ton of pictures from all different angles and just started carving.   The body is not that difficult...It's all about the fondant detailing.   I used the cobblestone impression mat for the top part and used spatulas for the the rest.   I remember the fondant starting to dry out before I could finish that middle part with the spatula work.   Next time I'd make the fondant thicker....and work faster. 

The bride refused to allow her husband to display this at the reception.   Brides really piss me off sometimes...so it was used for the rehearsal dinner. 

http://anotherpieceofcake.com/images/albums/NewAlbum_179f6/tn_1200_efa2f34fbd8f3abc7449196a27fbbce5.jpg.png

That would piss me off too! 

Do you remember how many this fed?

ddaigle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 3:10pm
post #20 of 25

It was 2 half sheets...What was carved was piled up so it served ALOT.

LoriMc Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 4:51pm
post #21 of 25

Quote:

It was 2 half sheets...What was carved was piled up so it served ALOT.

I have one to make today for 40 people.  I think I'll use two 11x15's.

Looks great though!!!!!

ddaigle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:21pm
post #22 of 25

AYou don't need that much cake I would use 2 qtr sheeta

LoriMc Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:36pm
post #23 of 25

Quote:

You don't need that much cake I would use 2 qtr sheeta

When you say quarter sheet, what size do you mean?  Sorry, I know there are different measurements for those terms. 

If you mean 9x13, my chart said a 2 layer 9x13 would be 45 servings, and I was scared there would be less than 40 after I carved it.

ddaigle Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 5:42pm
post #24 of 25

AI didn't lose any cake cu I just piled up on top. .. 2 qtr sheets give you just enough and 2 half sheets gives you too much I would just use what you're comfortable with

patticake1951 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patticake1951 Posted 12 Sep 2013 , 9:01pm
post #25 of 25

Here is one my daughter and I made a couple of years ago. It is all cake and covered with fondant.  We used a rubber mat for the texture and then painted it.  It is red velvet cake.  I don't remember how many it served though.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%