Fmm Funky Letters Cutters - Question

Decorating By tracycakes Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm by Allidsk8

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:09am
post #1 of 7

I recently purchased the fmm funky letters cutters, both uppercase and lower case. I was able to use them on a cake this weekend but had really problems with the lowercase 'f' and was wondering if anyone else did. The 'f' isn't very sharp and doesn't cut cleanly, especially the top part. Unfortunately, I had to cut 6 'f's and resorted to laying the fondant over the back the cutter and manually cutting it out.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if there is a flaw in this letter or I just got a bad one. All of the other letters cut great.

6 replies
newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:21am
post #2 of 7

Tracy, I have both sets as well and just used the one with the numbers last weekend. I didn't have any problem cutting, but they didn't want to "tap" out very easily. I know you should let your fondant/gumpaste firm up a bit before cutting, but even then I had to coax the number "1" out of its cutter.

I haven't tried the lower case letters yet.

tarheelgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tarheelgirl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:27am
post #3 of 7

I have used my set once! I was so excited to get them but its a pain to get them out. I almost try to avoid using them just for this reason.

tracycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracycakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #4 of 7

Mine didn't want to tap out either and I had to coax them out. That 'f' is just not formed right and won't cut. It gives a nice impression though. LOL

saramachen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
saramachen Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:55pm
post #5 of 7

Tonedna has a fantastic youtube video for using the cutters....

i just noticed she posted a new video... so im off to youtube to watch

bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:13am
post #6 of 7

Hi, here is another great video from aine2, on how you use FMM cutters,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyS7msb13jE&feature=channel_page

HTH.

Allidsk8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Allidsk8 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:49pm
post #7 of 7

I used mine for the first time last night and had to re-roll the fondant because it wasn't thin enough the first time. I found it much easier the second time with super thin fondant. Then they tapped out pretty easily. Off to you tube I go to watch edna's video. Good luck icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%