How Do I Make A Cake Look Like "cheese"?!?

Decorating By cakemommy09 Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm by majka_ze

cakemommy09 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:17pm
post #1 of 7

I am making a 12" round buttercream covered cake. I want it to look like a piece of cheese. How do I get the round indentations all over the cake? I know it would be easier with fondant, but they want BC. Any tool recommended? Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
Skirt Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:49pm
post #2 of 7

melon baller? Ice cream scoop?

auntmamie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 7

Do you have the 9" fondant rolling pin from Ateco or Wilton? The end of that might work, if your BC is crusted.

Lyndseyb52 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:15pm
post #4 of 7

I've made a cake that looked like a huge wedge of cheese before, but was covered in fondant which I tghink was alot easier to put holes in than buttercream would be.

I used the rounded end of a wooden spoon if that helps at all.

cakemommy09 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:26am
post #5 of 7

Excellent ideas. I will try that! Thank you very much.........what an adorable cake. I love it!

Cake4ever Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:50am
post #6 of 7

If you look at my gallery, I did a golf ball out of BC and put the indents on it. I used a ball tool (from your flower making set) and dusted it with cornstarch and kept wiping it to keep it non-greasy. It was easy to do. Good luck!

majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #7 of 7

I let you on a secret - I made a cake with icing to cheese simply by washing my hands, dipping the fingers in cornstarch and making the big holes. The smaller ones are from wooden spoon. The cake is in my gallery.

Let your BC crust a little (not much, only firm up a bit). It will be easier and less greasy work.

Quote by @%username% on %date%