Please Help! What Should I Use To Get This Gold Color?

Decorating By LILBOBO1980 Updated 18 Apr 2009 , 5:52am by ceshell

LILBOBO1980 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:33pm
post #1 of 15

I will be making a cake next week that is to look like the picture of the anchor below. I would really like to get the gold and silver colors right (with the shine) and would love some help in this area. I have never made a cake with gold in it. I will be covering the cake in fondant.

I would love to get some suggestions and maybe some pictures of cakes that were made to shine the same way.

14 replies
bashini Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #2 of 15

Hi, I can't see the photo! Sorry! icon_sad.gif

LILBOBO1980 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:14am
post #3 of 15

LILBOBO1980 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 15
Originally Posted by LILBOBO1980

Sorry.. Thank you for letting me know the picture was not showing up. Hopefully someone can help me.

ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:46am
post #5 of 15

If the pic is on your hard drive, you need to choose to "preview" your post and then select "add an attachment" and then the Browse button to find it on your computer. After you locate it you do have to click the "Add Attachment" box - I often forget that important step and just hit submit, which of course doesn't work cuz you never Added the pic! icon_redface.gif. Actually truth be told, I always hit Preview first to check if my image worked, so I have time to fix it before posting.

If the image is on a website, you need to copy the URL into your message. Then you add this tag: [img] before the http: and then add [/img] after the complete URL.

A shortcut on CC is to highlight the entire http:code and click on the Img button (when you are in the preview menu).

Always hit Preview to see if it worked! thumbs_up.gif

LILBOBO1980 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:33pm
post #6 of 15

Thanks for all the help but I did hit preview this time and I can see the image. I even just pulled up the thread and it is there. I used the html (img) with the image link. Hmmmmm I guess I will download the picture and try it that way also.

LILBOBO1980 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:38pm
post #7 of 15

Here is a picture... Please help me ladies icon_smile.gif

BitsnBites Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:18pm
post #8 of 15

You could use edible gold and silver leaf. Its about $38 for 25 3-3/8" X 3-3/8"

ceshell Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #9 of 15

I don't think it's possible to get a gold or silver that is MIRROR shiny, but there are tons and tons of cakes (here on CC, and elsewhere) that utilize gold and silver luster dust to get a nice, metallic gold or silver look. If you use fondant for your cake it is super-easy to add a few drops of high-proof alcohol (everclear is best, vodka and lemon extract work well too) to some dust to create a paint, and just paint it on with a soft brush.

If you do a Search in the forums and use the words "gold luster" or "silver luster" (search on ALL terms) and restrict your search to "Titles Only" you will find lots of threads with more in depth information about how to do this. But the bottom line is: luster dust baby! It can also be done with a spray-on metallic color that is available from cake shops (you can often find this info in "gold" or "silver" threads too; I've never used the stuff). Spray on color is great for if you are icing in buttercream only. However you CAN paint dust onto a BC cake; it just needs to be a crusting BC.

Here is just one thread of many --I chose this one cuz there are lots of pages icon_smile.gifthumbs_up.gif (although the last page doesn't exist). There used to be a sticky on this subject but I cannot find it anymore icon_confused.gif

LILBOBO1980 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:23am
post #10 of 15

Ceshell... Thank you so very much for taking the time to help me. I will be looking over the thread you posted and searching for some others. I did not know there was an advanced search option so I will be looking for that.

I did go and buy some luster dust and hopefully that will work for me. Thank you!

ceshell Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 4:49am
post #11 of 15

You're welcome! You bought actual Luster dust, right?? That was my first rookie mistake; the first time I bought dust it was Sparkle Dust or who-knows-what else...nothing works except luster dust, and the wilton look-alike product which is called...oh I can't remember...shimmer dust?? Not sure...

LILBOBO1980 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:00am
post #12 of 15

Yes Ma'am I did get the luster dust. After reading the thread you posted I will now be getting the pearl luster dust and mixing the two. There is a lady that did it and she had a very shiny gold and silver color. Once again... thank you very much for your help.

LILBOBO1980 Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 1:44pm
post #13 of 15

I just wanted to come back and thank everyone once again for their help! I finished the cake and thought I would post a picture in case someone else pulls up this thread trying to find out the same information on how to make the gold and silver color. I ended up using the nu silver and gold with lemon extract. I ran out of time but if I did another layer or two I know it would have been darker.

jguilbeau Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #14 of 15

Just looked at your picture. No place for comments on the picture.
You did an awesome job!

ceshell Posted 18 Apr 2009 , 5:52am
post #15 of 15
Originally Posted by jguilbeau

Just looked at your picture. No place for comments on the picture.
You did an awesome job!

--^^-- What she said! If you want to receive comments though, be sure to turn on comments in your profile icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%