Feedback Needed...want To Make Cake Better For Next Weekend

Decorating By Bellatheball Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 11:02am by Keshe

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:56pm
post #1 of 10

Thanks to all of you who looked at my sketch the first time around and gave me feedback. I made a practice run at this cake for my daughter's preschool class. Her big party is coming up this weekend and I plan to make a two tiered version. What can I do to make it better?

A few people suggested that I do Toto but I cannot get him right. I thought about adding Glinda's wand for the cake board. Also, Nannie suggested that I add sanding sugar to the poppies. Anything else? I really want to make this a great cake for her but I've been staring at it so long I'm starting to get tunnel vision.
LL
LL

9 replies
janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 10

I like Glenda's wand and can you make a basket with toto's head just sticking out??

pattycakesnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pattycakesnj Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:11pm
post #3 of 10

why not buy a plastic figure of Toto (or any dog that looks like him) If you go to Michael's or AC Moore, they have dollhouse furniture and stuff like tiny baskets. Get a basket and put the dog in sticking out.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:14pm
post #4 of 10

Beautiful job! I like the blue gingham idea too. How about just a slight indication of brick pattern on the yellow? Maybe not so much with a color, but an impression made with dowels?

Ruth0209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ruth0209 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:15pm
post #5 of 10

You could do a yellow brick road starting at the bottom of the cake and kind of winding around it up to the top (getting skinnier at the top to give it perspective. All leading to the shoes, which I love BTW.

susanscakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanscakecreations Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:22pm
post #6 of 10

I love the ideas the others had about the yellow brick road, and the small basket and dog!!!! You also did an excellent job on the shoes!!!!!

dololly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dololly Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:38pm
post #7 of 10

don' forget about the Wicked Witch's black and white stockings sticking out from under the bottom of the "house". Gumpaste Lion, Scarecrow and Tin Man, or just an oil can. So many cute ideas. You can do BC figurines (use build up method like with clowns). Grass tip for lion's mane and scarecrow. Just have fun with it.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:15pm
post #8 of 10

OH OH OH!!! I LOVE the yellow brick road up the cake idea and then you could have the witch's stocking sticking out from under one of the tiers...

HOW CUTE!!!

btw - those ruby slippers are AWESOME!

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:34pm
post #9 of 10

Thank you so much for all the replies! I initially wanted to do a yellow brick road curving up the cake but wasn't sure how to do that with the ribbon. Any ideas? The one I made actually did have a brick pattern on it but it didn't show up in the photo. icon_confused.gificon_biggrin.gif

I'd love to do the figures but I'm terrible at them. LOL. I could do The Wicked Witch of the East's legs coming out though. My daughter would love that.

Thanks for the kind comments about the shoes too. icon_redface.gif

Keshe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Keshe Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:02am
post #10 of 10

I think it's great how it is. It's understated and beautiful! I think adding too much 'stuff' to it could make it look cluttered.

Fantastic job! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%