Uncovered Wilton Boards Between Cake Tiers?

Decorating By mom2spunkynbug Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 3:29pm by aswartzw

mom2spunkynbug Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 32

Do you HAVE to cover the Wilton cardboard rounds with something when using them in between cake tiers?

If so, what do you cover them with?

(I'm looking for the fastest way.)

Thanks in advance!

31 replies
Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #2 of 32

No, you do not have to cover the Wilton cardboard cake circles if you are using them between tiers, as they are food safe and will not be seen. icon_smile.gif

KoryAK Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 32

I don't cover my cardboards.

jammjenks Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #4 of 32

I don't cover mine either.

Marina Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:59pm
post #5 of 32

I personally don't, but I've seen here that some people do because the cardboard will get soft...

solascakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:01pm
post #6 of 32

I always cover with foil

Gale Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:02pm
post #7 of 32

I always cover mine. I just don't know how long they have been sitting or who has handled them. JMO I don't like the thought of the cardboard against the cake. I cover mine with foil; both sides.

solascakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 32

Exactly I do both sides as well.

doreenre Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:11pm
post #9 of 32

Nope, don't cover mine either.

kycakediva Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:15pm
post #10 of 32

What about using contact paper? Then you wouldn't have to worry about getting the alumininum foil in the slices of cake. Just a thought.

sweet1122 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:05pm
post #11 of 32

I've seen foil cut to shreds. I've heard on here several times that contact paper is not considered food safe. Someone recommended/suggested Wax paper, Glad Press N Seal, or the Fanci Foil as it won't shred like regular foil. I haven't been covering mine, but I just ordered a bunch of boards in bulk and they're not nicely packaged like the Wilton ones are. If I were using the Wilton's I wouldn't bother covering.

indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #12 of 32

I'm a no-wrapper, too. No, the cardboards will not get all soft and soggy. I cut a LOT of my wedding cakes, so I see first hand what they are like and the cardboards are damp, yes, but not soft-n-soggy.

This is a great example of why I plead cake makers to cut at least 2 or 3 of their own wedding cakes a year, so they can see how easy/hard it is to disassemble, to cut, to serve, and what the inside looks like. Experience that has infinite value when you are talking to a bride! thumbs_up.gif

RandomCakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:34pm
post #13 of 32

I am pretty new to cake decorating, but I found in the last month, that I can get some "tissue" paper (it's more decorated cellophane or colored foil) at Dolllar Tree. You get 4 or 5 sheets for $1, which will cover 8 or 10 - 10" cake boards (they only take 1/2 sheet).

Before I started doing this my cake boards would end up with grease spots on them.

Hope this helps!

saap1204 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:40pm
post #14 of 32

RandomCakes, is the tissue/cellophane from Dollar Tree considered food safe? If it is that would add a nice decorative touch!

sgauta Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:59am
post #15 of 32

I use the Wilton boards and don't cover them...I've never had a problem!

RandomCakes Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:02am
post #16 of 32

I really don't know, I wash them off, but I don't sell cakes, just make them for fun. I don't know what would deem it food safe or not. If it is a major concern, maybe a piece of parchment just under the cake, not the board, would give it extra protection. Sorry I can not be of more help.

bcake1960 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:09am
post #17 of 32

My thought on this.. and just a thought.. have you ever smelled damp cardboard? kind of stinks like sewer.. ewwe... I would be afraid of the cake picking up that smell.. and would taste like that... But it seems if this would be an issue there wouldn't be so many doing it.. I use contact paper.. white.. never had an issue with that.. if you can put in in your cupbards with food stuff.. I would think it would be safe.. its just what I have always used..

cakebaker1957 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:10am
post #18 of 32

i cover each one sometimes its according if im doing a cake thats going to be sitting out for a while

Redlotusninjagrl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:13am
post #19 of 32

I cut into a cake last week that had been sitting on an uncovered cake board for a few days. Let me tell you, it was soft. In fact, when I tried to pick it up (it was half a 6"), it was not sturdy enough to hold the weight of that cake and actually tumbled to the floor. I used the Wilton brand. Maybe those aren't as good. I don't do cakes for a living to know about most instances. And I imagine that a finished cake doesn't typically sit three or four days. I have never had a problem before with a cake board before. Of course, this is one instance. But now that I know it can happen, I will probably my boards going forward.

indydebi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #20 of 32

I assemble cakes on thursday for a Sat wedding. If anyone had a problem with soft-n-soggy cardboards, I'd question the quality of your boards. After cutting the cake for the guests, I've never had a problem moving any leftover cake(s) into the boxes.

I know wilton brand boxes are little more than tissue paper thickness, so I won't every buy those again. Not even in an emergency.

tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:29am
post #21 of 32

They need to be covered, I usually use wax paper and a gkue gun. The cardboard will soak the grease from the buttercream, making the cardboard wet and very unstable.
Edna icon_biggrin.gif

mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:58am
post #22 of 32

I was using white or clear contact paper - but it just takes up so much time! Especially with rounds! Cutting a circle bigger than the board...then cutting the strips so it can wrap around to the other side of the board...then cutting a circle smaller than the board so it can go on the underside - it just takes forever!

DebBTX Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:17am
post #23 of 32

I cover my cardboards with Butcher paper. They have large rolls of this paper at an area Sam's Club. I attach the paper on the underside of the cardboard with wide masking tape.

-Debbie B.

mom2spunkynbug Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:36am
post #24 of 32

So are you guys covering these like you would a cake base?

Or are you just cutting two circles the same size as the round & slapping them on the top & bottom?

tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:52am
post #25 of 32

I cover them top and bottom and then cut the excess. I got to move fast. I know some people that use seal and press, but I never used it.

bcake1960 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:04am
post #26 of 32

I was using white or clear contact paper - but it just takes up so much time! Especially with rounds! Cutting a circle bigger than the board...then cutting the strips so it can wrap around to the other side of the board...then cutting a circle smaller than the board so it can go on the underside - it just takes forever!

mom2spunkynbug: I am using foam board (craft board) and use vinyl white electrical tape to finish the edges.. see attached pic. I learned this from Earlene. You can do the same thing with cardboard and contact paper.. just cut 2 rounds and finish the edges with the electrical tape.. (White) If you pull a bit when putting it on it will just fold it self onto the board its a slick trick! Thanks Earlene

Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:09am
post #27 of 32

Never covered a board, never got soggy or had a problem. The wilton cake boards are actually very sturdy, unlike their cake boxes.

tonedna Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:15am
post #28 of 32

Many of my students come with uncovered cakeboards, by the end of the class you can see how the buttercream soaks into the board. It might not be a big deal in a 2 tier cake that holds a 6 inch, but when you are working with bigger cakes, the weight of the top cakes will create a problem on a buttercream soaked cake on the bottom tiers, making your cake unstable and prone to tilt specially traveling.

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:16am
post #29 of 32

I've used the Glad press & seal w/ success. Also w/ freezer paper. I've covered just the top & it's been ok. Some grease does get in the sides b/c of the border, but not enough to soften the board. If I used dowels I would cover the bottom too, but Ive started using SPS & it sits on a plastic "board" w/ just a smear of buttercream, but not enough to make the board soggy.

Try & see what works for you. Try a small cake for yourself, let it sit out for a couple of days & see what it's like if you try to lift it w/ an angled spatula

Vylette Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #30 of 32

I dont cover them either, never have.
Altho, Ive been using the plastic ones of late (not tier separators, these are just like the cardboard rounds, but plastic), they are washable as well if you're going to be around to cut the cake you can save them.
I cannot remember for the life of me where I got them tho.

Quote by @%username% on %date%