Am I Being Petty?

Lounge By Karema Updated 13 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm by Karema

Karema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karema Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:34pm
post #1 of 30

I wonder if I'm just being petty or just tired of all the drama. My MIL, my SIL and I usually take turns making Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter dinner. We each take a holiday. Well my MIL insisted on having Christmas this year. And for Thanksgiving we all went to Grandma's house. Well for Christmas I'm expecting some good food because I always go all out. Last Christmas I made Turkey, ham, mac and cheese, two kinds of stuffing, green beans, collard greens, potato salad, and 2 differnt kind of pies for dessert and a cake. So I'm thinking she is going to go all out too. Well she plans on making stuffed shells and meatballs and a vegtable and salad. Well I said ok it sound different but ok. Well she mentions that she wants Baked chicken as well and I suggested adding a rice or something to go with the chicken.

Well to make a long story short she goes to the store and buys a bag of frozen meatballs, makes stuffed shells, throws some brocolli in the microwave and cuts some sandwich rolls in half for the bread. I was in shock. I was the worse dinner ever. I was disgusted that she made me come out of my house for that. I thought she could have at least made the meat balls from scratch and made the stuffed shells right instead of not harldly adding in cheese and using a half jar of sauce that she had leftover. Well I know she had the money to buy food becasue my SIL was helping to pay for everything.

I told my husband that since I'm doing Easter. I'm just buying chicken already roated in the supermarket, and I'm making instant Mashed potatoes and a can of green beans. I told him that I'm also just going to make a pack of gravy and serve salad right out the bag. I think that Koolaid would be good for a drink and some canned biscuits to go on the side. And for dessert I'm buying a cake from the store and cutting it up. My husband thinks its petty. I think its all that they deserve. We were so hungry after Christmas we ended up eating chinese food.

What should I do? What would you do? They are so used to me cooking huge meals and always rave about how good my food is. They bring containers to take leftovers home and it makes me mad. I'm tired of busing my butt for them to eat and they give my family frozen meatballs. And by the way I did tell my MIL that the dinner was pathetic I dont care how rude I was!

29 replies
mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 30

Make sure you get a Pepperidge Farm cake instead of a cake from the bakery. icon_lol.gif

Seriously if your husband insists that his family have a nice meal and you don't feel like making one just tell him to make it himself. Don't help him do ANYTHING with the meal and maybe he'll understand why you feel the way you do.

Just because he's a man doesn't mean it's your job to feed his family if you don't feel like it. My MIL tried for years to get me to put myself into the rotation for the extended family dinners and I always told her that if her son wanted to make a meal for all his aunts, uncles and cousins he was welcome to. For some reason she didn't like that answer.

The only thing I'd worry about if I were you is how your family will feel about a crappy holiday meal but a good way around that is have something special but easy to fix/heat up and hide to feed yourselves once company leaves.

michellenj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
michellenj Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #3 of 30

WTH is wrong with them? You're pg and on bedrest and they are allowing you to host Easter? I am fired up! The nerve!

I say KFC all the way, baby.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:29pm
post #4 of 30

Karema, in your fragile condition should you even be hosting Easter dinner? Geez, can't one of the others take your rotation spot for this one and you can do the next after the baby is born?

As far as my opinion on the meal, no I wouldn't intentionally make it "pathetic" it is Easter. I'd still want to celebrate the spirit of the Easter season.

Just because your MIL didn't put her best effort into Christmas doesn't mean you need to lower your standards. It would make me want to do the opposite and show up her lousy meal with a terrific one.

I'm very sad about my family's Easter this year. My sister and BIL who always have all of us brothers and sisters and families every year, have not extended an invitation yet.

We were together last weekend at a family b-day and this sister kept crying about how their daughter is getting married in October and with the economy so bad, they are really cutting back and watching their pennies. I guess this was a hint to all of us that they're not having Easter dinner.

I can understand that, but here's my gripe...........Her 2 kids didn't go to college so they never had to pay a college tuition. My 2 kids are BOTH in college right now, and we are paying 2 tuitions. I still hosted my entire family (50 people) on Christmas Eve. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you know how badly I wanted to say to my sister "Well, since you were spared paying college tuition, you must have the money for the wedding all saved up".

I didn't say it, but I wanted to. I'm very sad that for the first time my family may not have Easter together. I feared this would start to happen once both of my parents passed away and now it is.

A part of me wants to invite everyone here, and my DH is great and supports any decision I make, but damn it I'm tired of being the only one trying to keep my family together.

Sorry to hi-jack, I just wanted you to see that every family has their "Holiday Drama" icon_biggrin.gif

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:32pm
post #5 of 30

Yes, it was tacky of her. But you don't want to be tacky in return. You have standards, stick to them! You can't justify bad behavior on your part by pointing to her bad behavior meaning "She did it, so will I!" You are better than that. Good luck!

__Jamie__ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
__Jamie__ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #6 of 30

I think that is extremely petty. Like "well YOU didn't make a feast, so I'm gonna get you back! Nah-nah-nah-nah-nah-NAH!". Yikes....sorry, but you asked. icon_smile.gif

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:54pm
post #7 of 30

You're better than that Karema. Show them what good food and manners are. Karma will bless you back. Good luck.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 30

I think making a really BAD dinner would be petty. On the other hand, you do not need to be extravagant. Well, first of all, like someone else said, you are supposed to be on bed rest, and if it were me, I would not be hosting, because it's not just the meal, it's the cleaning up before and after too. So I would probably say sorry, bed rest, not killing my baby to make you supper. However, if you are determined to do the meal, then scale back. One meat, enough to feed everyone ONE meal, not leftovers for a week for everyone. One cooked vegetable, one salad. One desert. If you need to, for sure use precooked/packaged stuff, but don't pick it because you think it will be crappy. Pick it because it will actually make things easier for you. What I usually do is say that I am making such and so, and if you want to bring something else, go for it.

Actually, I just reread your original post, and the meal you say you want to serve doesn't sound that bad, except for the grocery store cake. I mean, if I had people coming over and for whatever reason couldn't go all out cooking myself, I think that would be a decent meal. So go for it. But if someone asks why you are doing it that way, I probably wouldn't say, "To teach you a lesson", I would say "because I am on BED REST!".

Karema Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:14pm
post #9 of 30

I know that you guys are right and it would be petty. I probably wont do dinner for everyone then and just have it for my family and call it a day. I just take things so personal sometimes because even when she host a dinner I still bring something. Well this chrismas I asked her to bring the green beans because she wanted to bring something. Well she decided on her own that she didnt want to make the green beans because I had collard greens and I didnt need both. I was making them because my hubby doesnt really care for collard greens. Well I had to go out and buy a huge can and make it at the last minute. Then she said she would bring cookies as well and she didnt bring that because again she decided we had enough dessert. I just get so tired of her doing this and then expecting me to go all out so she can have dinner. If I did something small she would look at me like I'm crazy. For example she came over our house for dinner last week and I made London Broil, Garlic mashed potatoes, sauteed green beans with almonds, salad and rolls. She was raving about how good it was and I always cook great food. I think that she is just beginning to become lazy and just pass on all the big dinners to me and I'm not having it especially when she doesnt want to bring anything. .

But in the end you guys are right. If I can't do it right dont do it at all. I dont think I'm going to host anything because I should be resting and its bad enough I have 4 cake orders for easter and I just dont need to be doing extra right now. Thanks for the advice.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:23pm
post #10 of 30

Darlin', let me tell ya ..... (she said in her best Banna (gramma) Debi voice).......

You're pregnant and on best rest. If chutz was still on here, we'd BOTH be over there to bi*ch slap your husband for even THINKING that it's ok for you to do all of that! icon_mad.gif

2nd .... I cook for a living. That's means I'm pretty dang good at it. And that I enjoy doing it. But last Thanksgiving, we had our dinner catered by Bob Evans!!!! It was delicious and we had leftovers. $75 for dinner for 6-8. There were 6 adults, 2 small kids and we had enough leftovers for 2 households. Your hubby can even go pick it up ... it's easy enough that yes, even a man can do it. (Sorry, but his lack of concern over your health has me in protective mommy-mode right now which means he's in it deep with me at this moment! icon_mad.gif )

I SO understand your feelings of "are you kidding, if that's all they expect, then that's all they're getting!" Sometimes it's harder to take the high road, but your reward comes at the end of that road .... when everyone talks about how they can't WAIT until it's your turn to host dinner, and MIL gets all pi$$y about it because they AREN'T talking about how (clears throat) "great" her dinners are (yeah, I'm vicious that way icon_twisted.gif ).

And next time she offered to bring green beans, I'd be the kind to actually ask her, "Are you REALLY going to bring them or should I just go ahead and buy them now for when you decide at the last minute that you don't want to screw with it?" (and I wouldn't say "screw" either! icon_twisted.gif )

zoomzone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoomzone Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 30

Hi Karema,
I do know how you feel, but please - do what you feel you are able to- and know that your MIL is just food-challenged!
I totally agree with IndyDebi!

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:24pm
post #12 of 30

Please please please, whatever you do, DO NOT make potatoe salad out of instant mashed potatoes! (((shiver)))

That is the meal my MIL made for us last night. She is just basically a horrible cook anyways, but she actually said to me - I can't live like all you people and buy bags of potatoes all the time. WHat????? The instant potatoes are more expensive IMHO.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:07am
post #13 of 30

Yah, I agree w/jamie......you're pg hormones are raging....you're not thinking things thru.
You must take the high road........**BUT** in this case that WOULD mean all *the best!* ready prepared food because you should NOT be making a big meal....not because of what happened at Christmas but because of your medical condition.
Do you really want to see that little one this eary in the game? It won't have a chance icon_sad.gif Come on now, think of your baby and be nice.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:53am
post #14 of 30

I'm no Chutz, but I'll take her place and go with Debbie to give a good wallop to your family members.

First off you are on BED REST. You are not suppose to be doing hardly anything for the safety of your baby right now. An Easter dinner is not worth it. They should be serving you in bed like a queen, not the other way around.

Yes, I know your upset about the MIL's meal, but you don't need to go that route. Be the class act you are. However, that doesn't mean you get the green light to go and cook----Nope, remember you are prego and on bed rest. Go pick up the phone and order a meal from a local restaurant or grocery store. If I was in your situation this is what I would 100% do.
In fact on one busy day I ordered sides from a restaurant because I didn't have time to do it, nor did I want to. Cooking is my field, but that doesn't mean I should be at a stove or oven 24/7 either.
Think of it this way--If you time it right you won't even have to go pick up the meal. If it's prepaid a family member coming to visit can pick it up for you on the way over. icon_wink.gif

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:46am
post #15 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Karema, in your fragile condition should you even be hosting Easter dinner? Geez, can't one of the others take your rotation spot for this one and you can do the next after the baby is born?

As far as my opinion on the meal, no I wouldn't intentionally make it "pathetic" it is Easter. I'd still want to celebrate the spirit of the Easter season.

Just because your MIL didn't put her best effort into Christmas doesn't mean you need to lower your standards. It would make me want to do the opposite and show up her lousy meal with a terrific one.

I'm very sad about my family's Easter this year. My sister and BIL who always have all of us brothers and sisters and families every year, have not extended an invitation yet.

We were together last weekend at a family b-day and this sister kept crying about how their daughter is getting married in October and with the economy so bad, they are really cutting back and watching their pennies. I guess this was a hint to all of us that they're not having Easter dinner.

I can understand that, but here's my gripe...........Her 2 kids didn't go to college so they never had to pay a college tuition. My 2 kids are BOTH in college right now, and we are paying 2 tuitions. I still hosted my entire family (50 people) on Christmas Eve. icon_rolleyes.gif

Do you know how badly I wanted to say to my sister "Well, since you were spared paying college tuition, you must have the money for the wedding all saved up".

I didn't say it, but I wanted to. I'm very sad that for the first time my family may not have Easter together. I feared this would start to happen once both of my parents passed away and now it is.

A part of me wants to invite everyone here, and my DH is great and supports any decision I make, but damn it I'm tired of being the only one trying to keep my family together.

Sorry to hi-jack, I just wanted you to see that every family has their "Holiday Drama" icon_biggrin.gif

Speaking from experience, could I just please say that sometimes, you have no idea about what is really going on with your relatives and their finances? I really believe that it is easy to become so accustomed to your own financial situation that you assume that even those who have less than you aren't really that different. Some people live quite frugally and even sacrificially and still find themselves in dire straights financially.

If you have the ability to host a meal and your family has the desire to be together, you are exceedingly blessed. icon_smile.gif

Deb_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:47pm
post #16 of 30

Ziggy to that point about not really knowing her finances, you are right.

I guess what really bothers me is that she didn't just come out and say "hey guys, this is a bad year for our family with the wedding and the economy the way it is so we won't be hosting Easter this year".

Instead of keeping us all hanging and waiting for our invite. The meal is always "shared" everyone brings a couple of dishes to her house. Last year I made a huge Seafood newburg casserole and a cake.

Now we are all afraid to send out an invite because she's the type that would say "why would you assume that we aren't having Easter this year?'

Then she'd be insulted that we *assumed* she couldn't afford it. icon_rolleyes.gif

So we'll all probably just be in our own homes for the holiday when we could be together.

It's just a sticky situation. FAMILIES UGHHH!!!! I never get this much stress from my friends............ icon_smile.gif

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:20pm
post #17 of 30

dkelly, since Easter is so close, I would think it would be okay to make a phone call or email and say that you are trying to finalize your plans for the holiday and were wondering if they still wanted to host like in previous years or should your family make other plans.

Karema, put your foot down and tell them that the ob has put you on bed rest so you will only be having dinner with your immediate family. Then order in from Boston Market or wherever. If dh's family has a problem, tell them they are welcome to pitch-in to purchase the meal from wherever you are getting it. That eliminates the crappy food problem. Just make sure you get the money upfront icon_rolleyes.gif

In my family we do potluck for each holiday. We all chip in for the major meat item (turkey for Thanksgiving, leg of lamb for Easter, etc). Then everyone brings side dishes. I usually cook the meat, since I host (my house is the largest and most kid-friendly). Everyone has their usual item that they bring each time (my brother brings the jello salad every time, my dad the wine, etc.) but everyone is open to whatever so that we can eat.

We discuss the menu beforehand and everyone contributes equally.
Now on Dh's side it's a whole other story icon_confused.gif

punkinpie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
punkinpie Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:04pm
post #18 of 30

My MIL is a HORRIBLE cook. Everything is dry or burnt. She has no idea about portion size. We often leave starving hungry. We joked Christmas Eve that we were still chewing the prime rib on the drive home. It was that bad. We always go knowing that the quantity and quality will not meet our standards but we go because we want to spend time with family - its not about the food at all. We certainly make sure to eat before we go and usually stop at a drive through on the way home - lol

Yes its nice to have an yummy dinner but really what is important is the time spent with family.

If I were you I would not go overboard on cooking (even do take out) and take the time you need to rest for your health and for the little peanut growing in your belly.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:25pm
post #19 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly

Ziggy to that point about not really knowing her finances, you are right.

I guess what really bothers me is that she didn't just come out and say "hey guys, this is a bad year for our family with the wedding and the economy the way it is so we won't be hosting Easter this year".

Instead of keeping us all hanging and waiting for our invite. The meal is always "shared" everyone brings a couple of dishes to her house. Last year I made a huge Seafood newburg casserole and a cake.

Now we are all afraid to send out an invite because she's the type that would say "why would you assume that we aren't having Easter this year?'

Then she'd be insulted that we *assumed* she couldn't afford it. icon_rolleyes.gif

So we'll all probably just be in our own homes for the holiday when we could be together.

It's just a sticky situation. FAMILIES UGHHH!!!! I never get this much stress from my friends............ icon_smile.gif

All the "read my mind stuff" that families tend to do makes the relationships mine fields sometimes.

I don't want to sound like I'm telling you what to do, okay? Just some ideas or suggestions. It could be that with the little crying scene, she thought someone would step up and offer. Or she could have thought that was her way of telling everyone that they couldn't host. Or..there could be other possibilities, of course!

But I think it is certainly acceptable, as pointed out earlier, to shoot her an email or give her a call saying, "I can't believe April is already here/almost here/when I turned the calendar page, there was EASTER....etc." And then just say I realized we hadn't talked about Easter. Are you planning to carry on as always, or should we try to plan something else?"

I can't see anyone upset when it is put that way...no accusations, no making anyone feel bad.

And, I was in a hurry this morning. My apologies to the OP! I think that family situations are almost always sticky. Because we come from differing backgrounds, experiences and traditions, and because some relatives just have issues, "stuff" is gonna happen. My course of action is always if it is no big deal, just do it. If it makes them really happy to have a certain food and that food is in your budget and your schedule, make it. If it isn't both of those things, then just sweetly say, "Oh gosh, you know, I need to plan dishes everyone will eat." Or, "I've never made that before, so why don't you bring it?" Or, "Thanks for the suggestion, but I have my menu all ready and I'm excited about it!" Or something.

But what I really wanted to say is that as my relatives age, some of them start to behave in subtle ways that are unlike them. Sometimes they are rude. You just have to extend grace where you can, gently redirect them at other times, and smile and do what you know to be best.

Deb_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 8:38pm
post #20 of 30

cakesbycathy and ziggy thanks for the advice. I think I needed to hear it from a neutral party. icon_wink.gif

ziggy I think you hit it right on when you said she may have been "crying money" hoping one of us would step up and offer to take Easter off her hands.

It's important to me to keep our family traditions going for as long as I can, so I'm going to send her an e-mail like you both suggested.

I think I'll say something like "Gee, I just realized Easter is creeping up on us. I know you have a lot to do this year with the Wedding, so how about if I host Easter dinner this year?"

Wish me luck icon_smile.gif

summernoelle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:56pm
post #21 of 30

Ziggy, I agree with you. I also don't believe the MIL did it out of malice or resentment which is what doing it back to her would be. icon_sad.gif My grandmother has done things like this before in the past and it isn't to be mean, it's because she isn't realizing what she did was being cheap. But regardless, this woman had you at her table and fed you, just not to the level you were expecting. It was one meal that was months ago-you shouldn't still be angry about it. icon_sad.gif

On a side note, one of my best friends is a horrible cook. One time, I swear to God, we were eating this bloody steak with mushrooms ontop of it. She proceeds to tell us the mushrooms came from her parent's bathroom-they were growing them in the tub! Needless to say, we stopped eating and picked up takeout on the way home. This girl doesn't cook badly to be mean, she just doesn't know better. I should share this with the Controversial Topic thread. icon_lol.gif

Carson Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:00pm
post #22 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

She proceeds to tell us the mushrooms came from her parent's bathroom-they were growing them in the tub! Needless to say, we stopped eating and picked up takeout on the way home. This girl doesn't cook badly to be mean, she just doesn't know better. I should share this with the Controversial Topic thread. icon_lol.gif

Ugh! Mushrooms growing in the bathtub totally belong in the "Controversial Thread". icon_lol.gif

summernoelle Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:04pm
post #23 of 30

AND she was offended we wouldn't eat them! One of us will just say "Bathroom Mushrooms!" to the other and we will have a good laugh.

Karema Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:19pm
post #24 of 30

I dont think my mil is being mean when she does this. I just think she is being lazy. It annoys me more I guess because her and I went out on Christms Eve to go shopping and I kept asking her if she had everything for the dinner. She then came out and said she is using frozen meatballs and had made the shells two days ago. She said that she had to work two days before Christmas and she didnt have that much time to cook. My SIL practically lives at her house and kept telling her we dont need chicken and then she claimed that the store ran out of chicken. My SIL helped her cook the meatballs and sauce and she made the brocolli and. The only thing my MIL made was the stuffed shells. I dont want to sound petty. I guess I just want to be treated in the same manner I treat her. I love having guest over and going all out for them to have a good time. My MIL usually does better but Christmas she just was like "Here. Eat it and like it" She didnt have to do dinner if she had to work because I offered several times and she kept saying no she wants to because she has a menu planned out. She kept insisting that she was making the great dinner and she didnt need any help and then at the last minute after all the stores closed Christmas Eve she says oh well I couldnt get to the store to get everything so that is all we are having. I drove her around all Christmas Eve and offered to take her to the store and she was like no I dont feel like it. Im just saying she could have said I can't do dinner because I have to work and I would have done it in a heartbeat. She made stuff that my kids can't eat and she knows it. My son is lactose intolerent and she made stuffed shells. He is 2 so he doesnt eat salad. My poor babies had a meatball and that's it. I think that is rude and distastefull. My daughter also wont eat stuffed shells or anything with sauce on it. If she has 4 grandkids that wont eat that food and only herself and 3 other adults will eat it then why not accomodate the kids as well?

I know I know I am letting this go. I can make dinner because I am offically off of bed rest but I dont think I'm in the spirit now. Last easter I made a ham and turkey and a huge dinner and then I had an Easter Egg hunt in the back yard. I went shopping for days to fill those eggs and I'm just tired of going out of my way to accomodate everyones needs and they dont care about my kids. My SIL doesnt eat pork so if I make anything with pork in it I have to make a second dish without it. If I make ham I have to make chicken or turkey as well. I'm just saying if you have guest over you should make them feel wanted and like you made an effort for them to come and spend the holiday with you.

I guess I was mad because she knew that she was being lazy and did not care. She was like oh well. I didnt like her attitude. I know that she knew this because she made dinner on superbowl Sunday and was like she had to make up for Christmas. I was a smart butt and said "Yeah Christmas was kind of bad, we had to stop and have Chinese food on the way home because the kids were starving from only having a meatball" She just was like yeah I know. I just think she is lazy sometimes and if you dont feel like cooking and hosting then dont and let someone else do it. I understand that she is getting older and may be tired but then let others help. She hardly cooks anything any more and uses shortcuts for everything. I'm talking buying meat already cooked and just buying a jar of gravy. Not everyone want to eat like that. She leaves food in the fridge after the experation date, I'm talking a year later. She leaves condiments and stuff that is supposed to be refridgerated on the table. I fell bad but everytime I eat there I check the expiration date first. She also leaves food in the freezer for months and months. All this from a woman who used to love to cook. But now doesnt even bother. If she doesnt want to cook, DONT let someone who wants to do so and sit back and relax. And stop taking half my meal home as left overs!

Carson Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:32pm
post #25 of 30

Karema, sounds ALOT like my MIL. She completely sucks at cooking though, and always have. There is never anything that my kids will eat (let alone myself) and there is never enough. We check expiry dates and she always tries to give us her freezer burnt food when we leave (and pretend like she didn't know). We also have to check dishes - I don't know how many times I filled up a glass of water and it bubbled up from the soap in it. When we are invited over, she is always grumpy about cooking (keep in mind she invited us and will never come to our house) and there is always something big she "forgot" that we have to run out and pick up. We take the kids for something to eat after we leave.

After all of that I smile and say thanks and complain to my husband in the car on the way home. I put up with it because she is my MIL and that's life. My DH has no qualms about saying something to her...which I am thankful for. I have him trained to ask his mom if she has any kind of vegetable for us to cook up for the kids - it seems with him dealing with her works out better.

Good luck...I have a couple family dinners coming up for easter too!

SweetSweetCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetSweetCreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:14am
post #26 of 30

Ok I can so relate to some of the feelings about family and the holidays. It has been so stressful we find ourselves trying to get out of going or having anyone over.

My daughter is away at school and spending the holiday with friends so my husband, daughter and I have told everyone we are going there to see her for Easter. My husband and I have plans to spend the weekend alone at at a bed & breakfast.

Talk about petty!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:00pm
post #27 of 30

[quote="summernoelle"] She proceeds to tell us the mushrooms came from her parent's bathroom-they were growing them in the tub! /quote]

Silly hippies icon_lol.gif .

I second the Boston Market suggestion. Yummy! thumbs_up.gif

Karema Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:19am
post #28 of 30

So for the last two weeks I have been saying so what are we doing for Easter. MIL and SIL both kept saying they dont know. So I said ok. Soooo MIL calls tonight and asked my husband what are you all doing for Easter? My hubby is like I dont know. So she wanted to discuss it further and he was like I have to go we will stop by later because his phone uses minutes.

Well I see my SIL to pick up my kids and she mentions that her mom took out a chicken for tomorrow. I was like oh ok that's nice. Then she is like I have a chicken here too that I can take out. I was like that's nice I'm not cooking for anyone but my family. I asked in advace and both of you didnt know. She then goes into this long story about how she is soooo tired and she goes to school (She takes two non-credited high school math and english to help prepare for college math and writing). I was like oh you're tired oh well I guess we wont have dinner because I'm tired from being pregnant and working a business full time.

So I get home and call my MIL because my hubby told her we would call back and I guess she must have talked to my SIL because she didnt say anything about dinner and just said well I guess you guys are staying home relaxing tomorrow. Yeah I guess we are huh? She then says well I have baskets for the kids and I guess I will bring them over one day during the week. LOL I guess that will have to work. They were really waiting on me to make dinner. I guess they see that I'm not crazy and wont be cooking every holiday. My hubby is just like oh well I guess they wont get anything. I'm making a chicken for my family and maybe some rice or stuffing and some kind of veggie.

Have a Happy Easter Everyone! I know I will!

Deb_ Posted 12 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #29 of 30

Karema, it sounds like you'll have a nice relaxing Easter with your kiddos and hubby after all. I'm happy to hear that you won't be over doing it.

We're having a quiet one at home too.

I hope you have a Blessed Happy Easter!
Deb icon_smile.gif

Karema Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 4:34pm
post #30 of 30

Very interesting day...So remember I mentioned that I returned MIL call on saturday night? So she didnt mention dinner or anything else. So I spoke to her today and she says that she ended up making dinner and she didnt invite us because she figured that we were exhuasted from working all weekend. Then she says that she ended up making too much food and she guess it was enough for more people. I told her dont worry we dont have to spend every holiday together and if you and your daughter wanted to spend Easter together that is fine with me. She was like I'm so sorry I feel bad now would you guys had come if I had invited you? Well let me get this straight.. I asked several times who was doing easter dinner because we always take turns. Then no one answers me and then she started getting dinner ready two days before and didnt say anything and in the end didnt even invite us but then apologizes because she feels bad because we were tired? Ok well lets see I'm pregnant and running a business and was exhausted and you had dinner and didnt invite us over? Whatever... I'm so done with his family and that is the end of holiday dinners for us.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%