Bad Manners Or Just Me?

Lounge By mbelgard Updated 17 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm by beachcakes

maria892 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maria892 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:11pm
post #61 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

If it was a larger gathering I wouldn't be so set on keeping to things that everyone likes but with 6 people I think a huge selection of different dishes is a waste.

There is never wastage if you send the leftovers home with your loved ones... icon_wink.gif

I'm sure you are quite confident in what you want to prepare for your family meal and what you are not prepared to make. As you can see, everyone has different family values. And in the end, you will choose to do what is best for your family.

So to answer your question, "bad manners? or just me? "

Only you have the answer to that question.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:28pm
post #62 of 82

ok, I had to go look up "mashed potato salad" on recipezaar. I had never in my life heard of such a thing! I'm going to make it and give it a shot befire I say "ew gross", but I just don't know about this one...

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:39pm
post #63 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

ok, I had to go look up "mashed potato salad" on recipezaar. I had never in my life heard of such a thing! I'm going to make it and give it a shot befire I say "ew gross", but I just don't know about this one...

I dont' use mayo in mine ... I use a salad dressing that is really hard to find. It's a yellow dressing with poppy-seed-like things in it, but it's not a poppy seed dressing. When I can't find this, the closest thing is Marzetti's Cole Slaw dressing.

I also don't put mustard in my potato salad. Potatoes, salad dressing, hard boiled eggs, sweet relish and onions.

luvsfreebies72 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
luvsfreebies72 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:42pm
post #64 of 82

ok, I will try it your way and then post my review lol. I take it you serve this warm, yes? as a side dish to say bbq chicken?

sorry for hijacking the post btw, but I am totally fascinated by this

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:56pm
post #65 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvsfreebies72

ok, I will try it your way and then post my review lol. I take it you serve this warm, yes? as a side dish to say bbq chicken?

sorry for hijacking the post btw, but I am totally fascinated by this

No, no, serve cold with bbq chicken - yummy! We usually add Mayo and radish, hard boiled eggs, celery, green onions...but there is lots of things you can add to your taste - I've seen lots of different recipes. My mom likes the potatoes diced and my sister likes it mashed...but real potatoes, not instant!!!!

indydebi Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:01pm
post #66 of 82

BTW, mashed potatoe salad is a GREAT way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!

shelbur10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shelbur10 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:15pm
post #67 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

BTW, mashed potatoe salad is a GREAT way to use up leftover mashed potatoes!

Leftover mashed potatoes? What is this phenomenon?

And to add my two cents...yes, it is totally rude for MIL to all but demand certain dishes and expect the leftovers. If she MUST have the dish, she's welcome to make it and have as much as she likes. It's selfish and inconsiderate for her to ask you to spend your time and money on something that's just for her (and to take home, no less!!) when you're creating a celebration for the entire family. People can say all they want about how much you value family, but how much does she value YOU by putting you in that position? Do you not have enough to do (and spend!) making dishes that everyone can enjoy?

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:47am
post #68 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApplegumKitchen

This is not some obscure guest - this is your husbands parents - surely they deserve to be treated like SPECIAL people. I am sure you said this was a FIRST - its not like they are asking you to do it every day.

Guess it depends on how much importance you place on family - I would delight in cooking something special JUST because my father-in-law liked it .... AND I do it regularly.... He is in his 80's ... and visits every Sunday - and I always have some treats cooked and LOVE to give them to him - as your parents (and in-laws) age they deserve to be treated as SPECIAL - I don't think it is asking a lot - I know he appreciates what I do for him, and there are another couple of daughters-in-law that will not even take the time to speak with him - nor make an effort for him to have a relationship with his grandchildren. He is a lovely man (albiet VERY set in his ways and would appear to some to be grumpy but underneath he is a -cat)

I am a busy person, I work, I have a family and a large property to look after - I do volunteer work and am always stretched time-wise - I don't whinge about it - because I get returned TENFOLD what I give.

I wish I could explain the JOY you get from giving - its something money can't buy!! People love to come to our home - because we always make them feel like they are welcome - even if you are on a tight budget its amazing what you can come up with to feed a tribe of people with a little creativity - and funnily enough once you have done this for a few times you will find that people suddenly start offering to BRING something - I don't dictate what it is - its just put out for all to share - and we normally end up with MORE than enough food - and for all different palates!

Be careful that you don't end up bitter twisted LONELY old people because you shut out all the people in your life - and count every pea that is dished up.

You obviously don't understand or agree with her situation, but that doesn't mean you need to be so haughty about it. You have a warm relationship with your in-laws and that is wonderful. Not everyone does or can. Not everyone can afford to make more than enough to share and she's not refusing to share nor is she refusing to cater to her in-laws per se - she just doesn't want and probably can't afford in this economy to make too many things that only one or two people will eat. It's one thing to make a special request and a whole different and very rude thing to demand it after the request was refused.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:35pm
post #69 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

You have a warm relationship with your in-laws and that is wonderful. Not everyone does or can.

I dare anyone to take my place and have a warm relationship with my MIL. She doesn't have a good relationship with any of her SILs either, she drives them nuts too. And I've heard a few comments from people who have either worked with her or attend church with her, enough to convince me that it isn't just me that brings out her behavior.

I am envious of people who do have good MILs. My FIL wouldn't be bad if he didn't listen to my MIL so much and parroted what she says.

This is a woman who feels she has the right to tell me how I should arrange and furnish my home, dress my children, what stuff we should buy, etc. When my husband bought me my first KA they were with him and tried to talk him out of it. icon_mad.gif

It took at least a couple years of turning her offer to help rearrange my kitchen for her to get the hint. The big reason she wanted to do that was because she can't reach my plates and cups. She does not live with me and needs to get something like that maybe once a year.

I have found that if I give in to something once I've already said no she gets worse for a period of time. That's why if it isn't rude of me to refuse to make her what she wants I'm not going to.

I try to avoid fighting with her for the sake of my husband and children. Most often I keep my mouth shut when talking to her and then find someone to vent to.

And for people commenting on my worry over waste and it being called leftovers, take a look at my menu. There will be leftovers but there is only so much food that six people can eat, even figuring sending stuff home with my MIL, before the leftovers go bad.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 3:52pm
post #70 of 82

You are preparing plenty of food, don't worry about that.

Everyone is speaking from their own experience with family, not yours. Only you know if your response fits your situation. If the mother-in-law title was taken out of the original question, I believe many of the answers would have been different.

Myself, I believe your response was correct to someone demanding you cook things (especially ones that can be injurious to your child!) We teach others how to treat us.

Blessings to you and yours.

edited for grammar

maryjsgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maryjsgirl Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:03pm
post #71 of 82

You should have shared all that info to begin with. icon_lol.gif

So sounds like she is a bit of a control freak. So it's probably driving her nuts for you to be hosting and not her.

Seems like this is more over a battle for power and not one over a menu.

icon_wink.gif

mbelgard Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 4:42pm
post #72 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryjsgirl

You should have shared all that info to begin with. icon_lol.gif

So sounds like she is a bit of a control freak. So it's probably driving her nuts for you to be hosting and not her.

Seems like this is more over a battle for power and not one over a menu.

icon_wink.gif

If I had known this thread would be more than either telling me that manners said I should cook what was requested or that I wasn't required to I probably would have and that leftovers are either expected or something the hostess offers.

I had no idea when I asked the question that it would turn into something about how I should do it to be "nice" because that wasn't my question. I probably should have also mentioned that my MIL doesn't normally make fruit salad that my kid will eat, most often it's the one with coconut, and she knows he doesn't like coconut.

My MIL is not unhappy about me hosting in the way you mean but rather because my FIL's family quit doing extended family meals. This is the first holiday without a large gathering. My husband's aunt has been the one hosting for a few years because her mother lives with her and does better if they stay home where she can sleep.

I finally got confirmation ten days ago that the aunt wasn't doing a meal because I gave my MIL a two week RSVP deadline so she finally 'fessed up that the aunt had said she wouldn't be doing a big meal four weeks before that. She even let slip that she had my FIL call his sister to ask if she'd changed her mind, I'm sure because the sister would have been annoyed at my MIL calling about it since she'd already said she wasn't. icon_confused.gif

pebblez87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pebblez87 Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 5:26pm
post #73 of 82

i have the same thing happen in my family my husbands family isnt as well off (neither are we) but when it came to my baby shower i saved up and made a nice meal of it so when food was being served i watched them fill plates to the brim wrap them in foil put them in the fridge and then go make a plate for them to actually eat so in the end we would have to cook more because what had been enough was already "hidden away" after that t started getting to me so we would leave everything on the grill and you come make your plate by the grill and my husband would notice if they tried going threw 3 or 4 times it was just so annoying , i know charity starts at the home but goodness it was overdoing it taking advantage

i know your stress and especially with the economy (i dont know if it hit you) but it does seem unreasonable to make a dish for 1 person i agree with not making it or making a tinsy tiny portion its not worth you using your time and effort

favrtdtr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
favrtdtr Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 8:29pm
post #74 of 82

MBELGARD - I was sticking up for you - I totally get that your MIL is no fun and a control freak among other things.

mbelgard Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 9:26pm
post #75 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by favrtdtr

MBELGARD - I was sticking up for you - I totally get that your MIL is no fun and a control freak among other things.

I know you were, I was just quoting you to address the issue. I'm sorry if you thought I was saying it TO you.

mbelgard Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:31pm
post #76 of 82

Well the holiday is over and I can only say that I'm glad I didn't make what my MIL wanted because they wouldn't have really touched it anyway.

They apparently timed when they showed up at the aunts to see my FIL's mother to match up with the time that the aunt would be serving a meal so when they showed up at my house late they hardly ate anything here because they were already full. They're normally big eaters and they each ate once small slice of ham and a few very little scoops of a few salads.

I can't say I'm terribly surprised since my MIL had been trying to get me to serve an evening meal claiming that that would give them time to visit my husband's grandma. Since the grandma tires REALLY easily I had wondered, she doesn't have the energy to spend more than 30 minutes or so visiting. I had refused because the kids had school today and my youngest does not do well if he hasn't slept enough.

I think that the next holiday that comes up I'm not going to bother, I'll just cook a meal for the four of us since my in-laws like crashing other people's meals.

7yyrt Posted 13 Apr 2009 , 2:47pm
post #77 of 82

I'm glad everything came off without incident.
Have a virtual drink, on me. Image

erinalicia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erinalicia Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 3:30am
post #78 of 82

At every family meal we have, there is always a ton of food left over. We have always done a pot luck type of thing. I can always count on my aunt making cranberry jello salad for Thanksgiving and she makes a ton of it just because she knows that I love it and will take a big cup of it home with me. My grandmother will not let us leave until we've each taken a plate.

I think it says a lot about family dynamics to get upset about taking home leftovers. we make enough food to feed an army and it's meant to be enjoyed, if someone likes my cooking enough to want to take home some leftovers, then by all means, take some. I don't like bringing food back home with me, at least if it's something I made! I want everyone else's good homecooking. icon_smile.gif

mbelgard Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:13pm
post #79 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I think it says a lot about family dynamics to get upset about taking home leftovers.

I really think my issue with the leftovers has been misunderstood. My issue was that she TOLD me that she expected leftovers. I guess I was always taught that you don't ask for that stuff.

I will confess that while I had planned on sending stuff home with my in-laws I didn't because they had irritated me with the being late because they were eating at someone else's house.

The being late was really annoying because we had told them that morning we had unexpected company coming in that afternoon so I was going to be sure to have the meal on the table at the time I had given them weeks ago.

The icing on the cake was when my MIL goaded my FIL into calling while they knew we were visiting with our company, who we hadn't seen since January, to ask a question they've asked at least 12 times since Fargo started having flood problems. I'm sure that my MIL didn't call because she could probably tell I was irritated the last time she asked it, I was polite but people not understanding simple geography after it's explained to them 10 times gets on my nerves. My husband was not amused either, he knows who prompts his dad into alot of things.

indydebi Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 1:32pm
post #80 of 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by erinalicia

I think it says a lot about family dynamics to get upset about taking home leftovers.

I really think my issue with the leftovers has been misunderstood. My issue was that she TOLD me that she expected leftovers. I guess I was always taught that you don't ask for that stuff.

I have to agree. As children we were taught that we couldn't even ask for stuff at gramma's house because it was rude to ask.

And again I will suggest that those who make a blanket statement about "let's all love each other 'coz it's FAMILY" either are very blessed to have a normal, non-toxic family and have no idea what it's like to deal with people who would shock even Jerry Springer (the category that MY family comes from, which is why I live 75 miles away from most of them), or they live in a nice city called Denial where it's important that everyone LOOK like they "all get along".

7yyrt Posted 14 Apr 2009 , 2:41pm
post #81 of 82

erinalicia, did you read this entire thread?

Her MIL requested the OP make food that no one but MIL would eat, and would make her youngest child ill.

She would bring containers to take the rest home.

OP is on a budget, and was planning on plenty of food that everyone could and would eat.
-
Don't know about you, but if it would make my child ill there's no way I'm making it. MIL can make it herself, at her house, and eat it away from my child.
-
That sounds a little snippy. Sorry about that, it's one of my 'things' - keeping kids safe.

beachcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beachcakes Posted 17 Apr 2009 , 3:48pm
post #82 of 82

Wow.

What's the difference between in-laws and outlaws?

... Outlaws are wanted! ba-duh-bump! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%