Pleeeze Help Me...

Decorating By Sweet-Kakes Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm by Cakepro

Sweet-Kakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sweet-Kakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:50pm
post #1 of 6

I am making my first stacked cake for my nephew's wedding. Small wedding, and I am doing 1 of each - 8 & 12 in tiers. My question-I only have one of each size pan. Do I make 1 thicker cake and torte it, or do I bake 2 thinner cakes and fill them, for each tier? I want each tier to be the proper thickness, not sure what that is, but I think I read on here it's 4-6 inches. Also, with only 1 pan per size, it is going to take forever to get 2 tiers done. Please help, I want to do it correctly. This is family, so it doesn't have to be perfect, but is a great opportunity for me to get some experience!!

5 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 6

Hi there, I would bake the 8" in one tin. And then torte and fill. For the 12 ", I would do it in two halves. All my cakes are 3" - 4" tall. icon_smile.gif

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:16pm
post #3 of 6

I always do two. I like a 4" tall cake and it can be hard to get that in a 2" pan. A 3" pan can work, but I like to do two layers. They bake up just under 2" tall each when leveled and I torte them and fill them so I have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. If you do only one layer each your cakes will be short.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:27pm
post #4 of 6

I do not like tons of filling so I just do two pans...my cakes always end up over 4" high.

Alot of brides especially like the torted look though, so may have to do more of that.

KitchenKat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KitchenKat Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:35pm
post #5 of 6

I would do 2 pans. If it fits in the oven you can do it in 2 batches, with the 8" and 12" in the oven at the same time. Or just get another set of pans. They're not expensive and you'll get so much use out of them. Money well spent.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:30pm
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkalman

I always do two. I like a 4" tall cake and it can be hard to get that in a 2" pan. A 3" pan can work, but I like to do two layers. They bake up just under 2" tall each when leveled and I torte them and fill them so I have 4 layers of cake and 3 layers of filling. If you do only one layer each your cakes will be short.

Me too, me too! icon_biggrin.gif

I love having four one-inch high layers of cake with thin layers of filling between...it makes for such a beautiful piece of cake when sliced, and such a nice tall cake before it is sliced. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%