Mixing Modeling Chocolate With Fondant

Decorating By lserafin Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm by dandelion56602

lserafin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lserafin Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:19pm
post #1 of 4

Hi everyone,
I am trying to make this dog cake modeled after the one from confetti cakes YouTube video and she wrote that she covered the dog in a mixture of white chocolate and vanilla fondant. The result from the video ended up looking like a shinier more clay-like fondant and easier to mold the hairs of the dog.

Has anyone mixed these before? If so, how much of each? Any tips or advice? Does the end result turn out like I think? let me know, thank you so much! This website is so helpful!

3 replies
dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:43pm
post #2 of 4

I've used chocolate leather (similar to modeling chocolate) & chocolate fondant. It was yummy for 1, mine was a little softer at first, but probably because I didn't let it sit 24 hrs before using it (made my own), but I would do it again! I used 1/2 & 1/2 (on the ship in my Elmo, Dora, Veggie Tales cake)

lserafin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lserafin Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 4

Thank you! I guess I will have to try it out... I think it is supposed to be soft to sculpt the dog fur?

Are you supposed to let it sit out a day before using it?

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:07pm
post #4 of 4

Mine is soft. But the reason I let it rest (wrapped in plastic & then in a ziploc) is so it will firm up. Since I make my own is why I do it. If you make fondant & try to use it right away you'll have a mess on your hands. If you want you can mix the modeling chocolate w/ the fondant right after making it & it would probably be easier to knead it in, but you might want to wait before using it to cover something b/c it may be too soft. I hope that makes sense.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%