Cupcake Prices?

Baking By Briniga Updated 22 Jul 2014 , 4:57am by AZCouture

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 8 Mar 2014 , 1:11pm
post #31 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

I often charge $8 per cupcake . 

It would be helpful if you told us your general location and the type of cupcakes you can sell for $8 each.

Mimimakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimimakescakes Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:24am
post #32 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by MimiFix 

It would be helpful if you told us your general location and the type of cupcakes you can sell for $8 each.

Australia, usually mud cake cup cakes ganached and fondant decorated. I hate doing them so I charge accordingly. 

CubasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CubasCakes Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 4:59am
post #33 of 57

For basic cupcakes, I charge $15 per dozen with a 2 dozen minimum.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 9 Mar 2014 , 1:52pm
post #34 of 57

AI get $3 per cupcake. Therefore a dozen is $36.

Eachna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eachna Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 1:24am
post #35 of 57

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mimimakescakes 

Australia, usually mud cake cup cakes ganached and fondant decorated. I hate doing them so I charge accordingly. 

I've noticed Australian prices are around twice American prices. So Americans should mentally adjust these to being $4 cupcakes :D.

morganchampagne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
morganchampagne Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 3:37am
post #36 of 57

AFor just a basic cupcake with a swirl and some sprinkles I charge 2.75 a cupcake...so that's $33/dozen. I'm in Houston,Texas

ApplePomme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ApplePomme Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 4:01am
post #37 of 57

I'm in BC, Canada, and my cupcakes begin at $20/doz for a standard cupcake with vanilla buttercream swirl.

shaleha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shaleha Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 7:32am
post #38 of 57

I m from SG and selling my cupcakes between $3.00 - $3.50

Some will buy & some will source for other places.

I looked out prices from popular store here some selling from $4.00 - $4.50

Minimal price starts at $3.20 per cupcakes.

It really depends on where you stay and the prices really varies.

Sha

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 2:49pm
post #39 of 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaleha 

I m from SG and selling my cupcakes ...

SG? :detective: Southern Georgia? CC has members worldwide, so please be more explicit. Thank you!!! ​

Snowflakebunny23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Snowflakebunny23 Posted 10 Mar 2014 , 4:08pm
post #40 of 57

In the Uk i'd expect at least £2.50 each for a basic cupcake from a cake decorator (butter cream swirls).  You pay more than that for a mas produced one from Starbucks.  I'm doing some fancy fondant ones this weekend which will be £4.50 each.  Basic vanila sponge but with lots of moulded buttons on top.  :-)

shaleha Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 5:04am
post #41 of 57

Quote:

SG? :detective: Southern Georgia? CC has members worldwide, so please be more explicit. Thank you!!! ​

Hi Mimi

Sorry for not being specific. I m from Singapore :)

Thanks!
Sha

shaleha Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 5:08am
post #42 of 57

Hi Snowflakebunny23

I m crazy over Peggy Porschen cake parlour in London and plan to visit there soon.

Have you visited her cake parlour in Belgraves.

I suppose the cake price in UK is about the same in Singapore .

Sha

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 10:21am
post #43 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaleha 

Hi Snowflakebunny23

I m crazy over Peggy Porschen cake parlour in London and plan to visit there soon.

Have you visited her cake parlour in Belgraves.

I suppose the cake price in UK is about the same in Singapore .

Sha

Sha - no I haven't unfortunately :-(  I am planning a cake 'pilgrimage' to Peggy Porschen with a friend in a couple of months time to try them all :-)  I was in Singapore a few months back and I'd say that generally, prices of baked goods are closer to the UK but I didn't see many cake/cupcake shops to be honest...Can you recommend any?  Do you have a shop yourself?  I'd love to find one when I next make it over... x

Kimber125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimber125 Posted 11 Mar 2014 , 10:46am
post #44 of 57

AI have heard that Walmart/Sams club ship there cakes from china. They are frozen. This from a friend of a friend.

shaleha Posted 16 Mar 2014 , 12:39am
post #45 of 57

Hi Showflakebunny23

Oh please keep in touch with me on your next trip to Singapore.

I do home bake & don't have a shop yet .

I take small orders for birthdays, simple wedding cakes and I also conduct workshop as and when requested by friends or clients.

Do visit me on Facebook - Sha's Baking Passion.

Contact me : [email protected]

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 8:02am
post #46 of 57

Happy Monday everyone...

So these were the cupcakes I did over the weekend - they cost £4.50 each (I think that's about USD 7.50 with the current exchange rate?).  With hindsight, I'm not sure it was enough though as they took ageeess!!  I'd be intrigued to know how much people would expect to pay for something like this in their local areas?  Sponge is a vanilla sponge with jam injected filling and butter cream.

Shaleha; Thanks for the offer, I'll probably take you up on that when I next make it over there! :-)  You have some fun cakes - love the fact that you're on the other side of the world but still have people asking for Manchester United cakes ;-)

maisie73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maisie73 Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 8:49am
post #47 of 57

ASnowflakebunny, they're beautiful! They'd be perfect for mothers day.

DaysCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaysCakes Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 9:08am
post #48 of 57

Snowflakebunny they are beautifully decorated.  From what I saw in Brighton yesterday afternoon, your cakes are priced right.  I saw cakes priced at £2.55 which were bogstandard ones (and not too appealing either in the hot sunshine).  I have not seen cupcakes like these on the shelves to buy - so definitely a bespoke bake.

Relznik Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Relznik Posted 17 Mar 2014 , 10:19am
post #49 of 57

I think I slightly under-charged for the last lot of bespoke cupcakes I did....  :sad:

3 dozen cupcakes with Superhero cupcake toppers - all handcut!  No edible images. 

I charged £3 each  (that's around US $5)

And here are two dozen of them, on their cupcakes!

These toppers are awaiting their cupcakes (will pipe and buttercream swirl and then place the discs on top).  Rather in love with these!!  All hand-cut modelling paste - no edible images!

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 19 Mar 2014 , 7:57pm
post #50 of 57

Thank you for the feedback everyone - I have had a few people ask about them but so far, only one person has actually bought them after hearing the price!  I was worried I was way off but at the same time, couldn't face making them for any less...

@Relznik - they are awesome!  Must have taken ages to get them so perfect to each other without cutters :-)

I personally hate doing cupcakes...give me a 5-tier any day!! xx

aprildaisy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aprildaisy Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 1:22pm
post #51 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitagrl 

Wow I guess I'm expensive! I charge like $3/cupcake for icing and a little extra something on it...but I figure my base price for cake servings is $3/serving so I don't really know why 12 individually iced cupcakes should be any cheaper than a 12 serving cake...?...

This is something I've always wondered too..... I like how you worded this. 

Snowflakebunny23 Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 1:28pm
post #52 of 57

I was thinking about my cupcake prices the other day (after having another 'how much??!!' response for a customer being quoted £2.70 for a choc fudge cupcake with a buttercream swirl)...and was then in a coffee shop and realised I was paying £2.50 for a cup of tea...which is made in a matter of seconds and the 'ingredients' are water and a teabag.  I am no longer hung up on my cupcake prices!!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jul 2014 , 7:00pm
post #53 of 57

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snowflakebunny23 

I was thinking about my cupcake prices the other day (after having another 'how much??!!' response for a customer being quoted £2.70 for a choc fudge cupcake with a buttercream swirl)...and was then in a coffee shop and realised I was paying £2.50 for a cup of tea...which is made in a matter of seconds and the 'ingredients' are water and a teabag.  I am no longer hung up on my cupcake prices!!

Brilliant discovery !!!

simplyme4469 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
simplyme4469 Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 1:39am
post #54 of 57

AIf a person doesn't want to pay the price of bakery quality cupcakes... and comments on the price of cake mix. ... would it be appropriate to recommend they could save money if they make the cupcakes themselves ? I mean. .. they are only cupcakes after all..... jk :)

shaleha Posted 21 Jul 2014 , 11:34pm
post #55 of 57

Yup I agree or I would recommand them to others esp the well known bakery and see how they ca agree to the price . I cannot accept that people always think homebake are cheap! Are we that cheap when ingredients are better off than from the commercial bakery?

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:56am
post #56 of 57

Well there was a homebaker on a group on Facebook tonight proudly declaring she was cheap and loved to cater to Walmart budgets.  Everyone deserves a custom cake, all the usual stuff most of us fight against. 8OReally sets us all back. 

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 22 Jul 2014 , 4:57am
post #57 of 57

So why do people think we're cheap? Because some of us are cheap and are too stubborn to get what we're worth or use excuses like "people won't payyyyyyy that much." Gah! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%