Which Glaze Is Tastier ? Antonia74 Or Toba's?

Baking By katerinazoi Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:28am by Mickeebabe

katerinazoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerinazoi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 9:08am
post #1 of 13

Has anyone tried both? I am making my first glazed cookies ever and they are for my mum so I want them to be absolutely great (at least in taste!!)
Thanks al lot!!!

12 replies
kneadacookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kneadacookie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:58pm
post #2 of 13

i would say it depends on the flavorings you add.

HeidiCrumbs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeidiCrumbs Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:47pm
post #3 of 13

I think Toba's tastes better as there is no meringue powder in it, but it's also harder to work with, in my opinion. I always get bubbles and it's kind of stringy, again, in my opinion. Antonia's is crazy easy to work with, always dries perfect, but I hate the taste of it because of the MP. Good luck!

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 13

Antonia74 uses MP that has vanilla flavoring already built into it - a kind she gets in Canada. Many of us add flavorings. I use 1 tsp pure van. extract or 3/4 tsp pure van extract if I need it to be white and then balance out the color shift with Americolor Bright White. Pure almond extract is also very good.

kneadacookie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:40pm
post #5 of 13

tracy every time i see your cookies it makes me want to switch to royal. your cookies are so flawless!!!!

Twopeasinapod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Twopeasinapod Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:42pm
post #6 of 13

I have tried Toba's and I like the taste but did not like working with it. Way too hard for me considering I am only doing this as an addiction, not a profession! I add clear vanilla flavoring to my Antonia74 and we all like it. I have some with Antonia74 on them in the teacher's lounge right now and they are all gone but 2 so the teacher's here must like the taste also. They always disappear and I am asked to make more, so I think that tells me they taste okay. Because my own family likes the flavor of vanilla, I add about 2 TBSP to the recipe and sometimes more.

kneadacookie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:47pm
post #7 of 13

i add both vanilla and almond. i really want to try some with lemon, but i never have the chance to do anything just for fun...

cookiemookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemookie Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:16pm
post #8 of 13

I adore working with Antonia's royal icing. Once you get the right consistency it is a dream for flooding work. I love the way you get icing with every bite of the cookie. It has a soft crunch to it, which goes so well with a properly baked NFSC.

I really think that the Wilton meringue powder has vanilla flavoring in it. I purchased some CK powdered vanilla flavor and it smells like the meringue powder I use(Wilton) I have been doing what Tracy does lately and love it! I use Penzey's double strength vanilla.

If I am needing white royal, I use almond extract. I am just baking for friends and family.

I purchased a tub of glace icing at my local cake supply store and I did not like it at all,the taste and I didn't like the stringiness of it. I also didn't like the translucent look of it, it looked like it was still wet.

I still do want to try Toba's someday, but as the saying goes "If it's not broke, don't fix it!"

DsLady614 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DsLady614 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:51pm
post #9 of 13

I personally prefer glace. I guess maybe I'm sensitive to meringue powder, because I can really taste it and I just don't like it. Glace is sweet... in the end, just sweet. However, you can add flavors to get a hint of different things. I did some with peppermint extract that was pretty yummy!

Redlotusninjagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:43am
post #10 of 13

So for a cookie newbie, antonia's is easier to work with? I tried decoraing one cookie out of a half batch of nfsc... whoa! Cookies aren't easy for sure! I was so frustrated... I want to try agin because they are so pretty, but definately want something forgiving or else I will have to do rolled buttercream or fondant. Grrrr! I love some of the detail work I have seen and want desperately to figure this out.

katerinazoi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katerinazoi Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 11:46am
post #11 of 13

Thank you all for the time you took to answer me!!!
I will try both then and...let you know in time!!!
Katerina

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #12 of 13

I use the glace because it is so simple to make, I always have those ingredients, and I can make as little or as much as I want. I almost always add more powdered sugar, because I only use one consistency of icing when doing cookies (except when it comes to the final details and outlining...then I keep adding powdered sugar until it's the consistency of peanut butter). I start with 3 cups powdered sugar, sift it into a medium bowl, add 3 tablespoons skim milk, 3 tablespoons corn syrup, and mix with a spoon. Once everything is blended, I add about 15 drops of brite white food color (Americolor brand). I now add more powdered sugar if I need to get the icing to the consistency of slightly thick Elmer's school glue. Divide and color. The high sugar content will keep the icing from spoiling. You can add flavoring it you want, but I use it plain.

Mickeebabe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mickeebabe Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:28am
post #13 of 13

I've tried both but really like working with Antonia74 RI. I didn't like the flavor of it so someone on here told me to add some vanilla extract and butter flavoring to it and see if I liked it better. She was right, it was great. I'm sticking with that combo for now on. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%