Fillings For Fondant Cakes - Is This Ok To Not Refridgerate?

Baking By Korwegian Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm by majka_ze

Korwegian Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:24am
post #1 of 4

Is there a good place to find recipes for fillings for fondant cakes that don't require refrigeration? I know you're not supposed to put a fondant cake in the fridge, so what kinds of fillings are ok to use in the middle without going bad if it sits overnight?

I see all these recipes for deliciously sounding fillings but i'm afraid that they would go bad if they sit out for a day or 2. Can anyone help?

3 replies
majka_ze Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:14am
post #2 of 4

To be completely sure, you need refrigerate fillings with whipped cream, cream cheese and similar.
Buttercream is safe.

But it can be that your fondant can be refrigerated quite well. Try to leave a piece of fondant in your fridge overnight, take it out and see what it does.

Be careful if you use cream cheese or whipped cream frosting under fondant - this can be worse than refrigerating. If you want such cake, you need usually very good buttercream dam around your cake so that no fondant comes in direct contact with the filling. Again, you can try it by leaving piece of your fontant with spoon of the filling on top of it in the fridge overnight.

ThisNameInUse Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:39pm
post #3 of 4

What about buttercream that has heavy cream or milk in it? Does that have to be in the fridge.

majka_ze Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:52pm
post #4 of 4

It depends.

If you ask our health department in Czech republic, any cake with filling needs to be refrigerated. Even pure butter/sugar buttercream.
If you ask me, it depends on how much milk or heavy cream is in the filling. Important is the sugar / milk ratio. If you use the milk or heavy cream only to thin the buttercream, you are probably safe. But I know that health department or who ever oversees such things in US has an different set of rules than what is used here. With the all European Union requirements, some for food go completely over what would be reasonable.

Quote by @%username% on %date%