Where Did I Go Wrong?

Decorating By dcabrera Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm by dcabrera

dcabrera Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dcabrera Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:56am
post #1 of 10

I made a wasc cake for a birthday party this weekend and it was a mess. This is the order I made it in starting from the bottom layer:
1) wasc cake
2) fresh cut strawberries
3) white chocolate truffle filling
4) wasc cake

And it crumbled as soon as I cut it!!!! Why? icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif Would you say it was under baked? It was a 12"x2'" round pan and I baked it for 1hr and 10 mins at 325. Or would you say the berries let off too much moisture? This is killing me! I made the same cake for my friend the same day for another party. I'm scared to ask her what the cake tasted like.

9 replies
pugmama1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pugmama1 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:21am
post #2 of 10

I don't know for sure but did you chill your cake before splitting it? After cooling I always place the cake in the freezer for at least a couple of hours. I would think it needed to be chilled with a fresh strawberry filling also after it was finished. As far as the cake being done it seems you could tell when you split the layer before filling. The hour and 10 minutes seems like a reasonable time for baking.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:24am
post #3 of 10

Ooohhhh you poor thing - no wonder you are icon_sad.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif
If i gather this right - the cake was 2" high - yes?
I am thinking that the combination of the Strawberries and White Choc Truffle Filling it probably was just tooooo much filling for the 1" layer on the bottom and the 1" layer on top.

If it was underbaked - you would have noticed that when slicing it through the middle to fill.... icon_confused.gif
Also - if underbaked it would have sunk - did it?

icon_redface.gif After me saying all of this i have never made one of those cakes - so i really do not know the texture of the cake.
Is it a moist dense cake or light and fluffy cake?

Was the cake completly cold when you cut it and filled it?

Perhaps just the WCTFilling next time would be ample - with a few fresh strawberries scatterd nicely on the top -
So sorry this happened to you... icon_sad.gificon_sad.gif

ps - did you wash the strawberries whilst they were whole?because if you remove their little green tops and then wash them they absorb alot of water.
Just thought i would mention that little tip - not trying to sound bossy icon_redface.gif
just trying to eliminate the *why* factor.

Bluehue. icon_smile.gif

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:53pm
post #4 of 10

Agree w/the others. One other thing......are you sure your knife was sharp? A dull knife will cause any cake to crumble.

Jeannem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jeannem Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:08pm
post #5 of 10

Going out on a limb...was the cake overbaked?? Don't know the diameter, but 70 min. for say an 8" cake sounds long.
Bluehue..Thanks for the strawberry washing tip--never thought of that before..

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #6 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Bluehue..Thanks for the strawberry washing tip--never thought of that before..

Your welcome - Grandfather grew thousands of straberries and the Grandmother was a cook - it was something they told me as a child and not only does it work - but makes alot of difference to the taste.

Bluehues helpful hint for the week - icon_wink.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bh. icon_smile.gif

BabeyCakey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BabeyCakey Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeannem

Going out on a limb...was the cake overbaked?? Don't know the diameter, but 70 min. for say an 8" cake sounds long.

I was thinking the same thing. This past weekend, I baked a WASC 12x12x2 at 325 (with a flower nail in the middle), and it was done in about 40-45 minutes. I split the layer, so I know it was definitely cooked.

dcabrera Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 10:24pm
post #8 of 10

Yes, I refrigerated the cake before and after applying the filling. It was 4" tall and a 12" round. I washed the strawberries dried them with a paper towel then cut the stems. I also used my brand new agbay cake leveler for the very first time. I really don't know what went wrong. White chocolate filling has the same texture and consistency of chocolate ganache.

Michellers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michellers Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 10

I'm having the same sort of problem you had. Except mine seem really heavy and dense at the same time as being crumbly. I need to go buy a new thermometer and see if my oven is cooking at the correct temperature. I've searched troubleshooting cake sites, and what I've found is a mixture of problems. For me, the consistency and the crumbling signal that my temp is too low and that I'm cooking it too long. It's a new oven so I've gotta figure the thing out.

I did a search on here and found a post by JanH (? not sure if that's right) that had links to the trouble shooting sites. Good luck and I hope you figure out the problem!

dcabrera Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:18pm
post #10 of 10

I'm going to try the same recipe tomorrow. I'm thinking I may have added too much sour cream. I'll let you know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%