Painting On Fondant

Decorating By Normita Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 4:22am by tonedna

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:05am
post #1 of 7

My question is....Is the only way to paint on fondant with luster dust mixed with liquid. I am making a "sports theme" bday cake and am going to add fondant cut outs in various sports shapes. For example, the red lines on a baseball or the white lines on a football. Can I paint the details with color gel (the gel we use to tint or icing or frosting)? Or, do I have to stick with luster dust??

6 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:09am
post #2 of 7

You can paint directly with gel/paste colors or you can thin them with an extract, clear drinking alcohol, or even a bit of water (too much makes it sticky) in a pinch.

For fine details, I prefer food markers like thos from Americolor, KopyKake, or Foodoodlers.

HTH
Rae

xstitcher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xstitcher Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:14am
post #3 of 7

Ditto to what BlakesCakes said but just wanted to add that you'll want to make sure you give your pieces enough time to dry. Mine took about 1 -2 days to dry.

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #4 of 7

The best thing to add to the gel colors is vodka or lemon extract, since the alcohol evaporates it dries faster.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Normita Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:20am
post #5 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonedna

The best thing to add to the gel colors is vodka or lemon extract, since the alcohol evaporates it dries faster.

Edna icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks Edna...about how much of vodka or extract should I add?

Normita Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:21am
post #6 of 7

Thanks everybody...I didnt expect to get a response that quick!! That is why I just looooooooooove cake central icon_biggrin.gif

tonedna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonedna Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:22am
post #7 of 7

It really depends on how much color you want to add. Depending on how much liquid you add, you can go from dark colors to a light almost like water color look. Just test it on paper before you do it on your cake..
Ednaicon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%