Does Black Fondant Bleed Into Frosting Over Time?

Decorating By Cookie45 Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 3:32am by GI

Cookie45 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:47am
post #1 of 9

I plan to use black Satin Ice for cutouts to decorate a red velvet cake and as a cupcake topper placed into whipped cream. Does black fondant bleed into these moist frostings? If it does-does anyone know how long it takes to do that?

I appreciate your response.

8 replies
tinygoose Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:59am
post #2 of 9

I don't know but I'll give you a bump.

GI Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:00am
post #3 of 9

Here's a bump.

I would think that the whipped cream is wet enough it would make the fondant soft and perhaps gummy. I have black on white BC and never had any issues cuz it crusts.

You could always do a test with a small piece of fondant setting on the whipped cream. Also, are you going to leave the fondant out of the fridge? I don't normally refrigerate fondant. And will the whipped cream be O.K. to set out? I think I would be more concerned about the lack of fridge...

Either way, doing a small piece wouldn't hurt to try. You can just toss it out after you are done. icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:02am
post #4 of 9

tinygoose I think our posts crossed! icon_lol.gif

Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:35am
post #5 of 9

If you can cut out your black shapes - and let them dry for a day or two before placing them onto the whipped cream - that will help alot - otherwise if the shapes are soft and you put them on the whipped cream you will probably find that they will droop.

So just cut them out - and place them on the whippd cream at the last minute - if possible... that way they will look fresh and firm and won't bleed for you.

Bh. icon_smile.gif

Cookie45 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 9

Thank you all...I didn't mean to ignore responses. I didn't get any notices that anyone had replied. I just happened to check this on my own tonight. Again, I appreciate your help. icon_smile.gif

GI Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 4:30am
post #7 of 9

Hi Cookie45, don't worry about it. My PC was on the fritz all day... icon_confused.gif

So welcome to CC! Did you get a welcome from anyone yet? If not, I will! icon_biggrin.gifImage

You have to go into My Forum Info and check YES for Always Notify me of Replies to get the email sent to case you didn't know. More in case you didn't know:

Newbies, Comments on Cakes:

Posting in forums:

Seriously one big kickin' cupcake thread:

Cookie45 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 12:07pm
post #8 of 9

Thanks GI- I have the "notify me" box checked-could have just been a glitch somewhere. icon_smile.gif Thank you for the welcome. I enjoy CC very much since I stumbled upon it several months ago. It's a rare day that I do not stop by for at least a few minutes.

GI Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 3:32am
post #9 of 9

Your Welcome Cookies45! icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%