Carved Cake

Decorating By BeeBoos-8599_ Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 2:12am by classiccake

BeeBoos-8599_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:25am
post #1 of 10

I need to make a cake that will look like a large toe. Can anyone tell me how to determine the amount of cake I will need? I only need it to serve 40 people so I thought that 3 2" high 1/2 sheets would be enough to get the right hieght then shaping it. Also, will a basic mix cake work for carving or should I use a more dense cake? Do you have one that you would reccomend? My client has not given me flavor direction as of yet so I can take reccomentations to her. Lastly, if I use the 3 layers, would I be ok with just icing between them and no boards and should I freeze the cake prior to carving it? I wold really appreciate any guidance you could provide. If you want to see what I need to make you can google Big Labowski Cake and see the one Duff Goldman made that is to serve as my insperation piece. Thanks !

9 replies
plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:18am
post #2 of 10

I'm certainly no expert, but here are a few things that I think would be helpful...

Look in the recipe section and search for "durable". It's a great cake for carving and there is one for Yellow/white, and one for chocolate.

Tort the sheetcakes to 1", and use REAL buttercream between the layers. It acts like glue when stacked and chilled. Thin crumb coat and chill for about a half and hour.

Cut your shape, crumb coat and chill again. Then go on with your details. icon_smile.gif I have stack 3 layers when carving with no problems...

That's all I can think of at the moment... Good luck! icon_smile.gif

Pat B.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:34pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks soooo much for the hints. I was beginning to think my posts were invisable.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:39pm
post #4 of 10

One other question, would you put boards between the layers or dowel them at all?

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 10

Dowels wouldn't hurt if the cake is high, I wouldn't use cake boards. You can also just use a cake mix and add 4 eggs, box of dry instant pudding and 1 cup liquid. I've used this recipe for carving and it does make life much easier. You can even alternate flavors if you'd like. Good Luck and please post your finished cake.

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 7:17pm
post #6 of 10

so if i understand your post, i add one additional egg (if box calls for 3) the pudding and an additional cup of liquid?

plbennett_8 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
plbennett_8 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 12:19am
post #7 of 10

No. She means JUST those ingrediants. Do NOT follow the instructions on the box.

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:30am
post #8 of 10

Making sure I understand....you think you will bake 3 1/2 sheets of cake to make cake for 40? I consider this about 150 servings of cake. It would seem that it is way too much cake!

BeeBoos-8599_ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:48am
post #9 of 10

The reason for the 3 1/2 sheets is to get the hieght and length I need to then carve the toe shape out of it. I had asked for suggestions on the amount to use and sizes and got no response. What do you suggest?

classiccake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
classiccake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #10 of 10

I googled, but could not find the photo of the cake you are refering to. I have done 100's of carved cake. I always start with about the amount of cake I need in the end and carve the cake to make it the appropiate porportion.

I would start with just 1 half sheet cake. In looking at my big toe icon_lol.gif
I think the toe is "almost" three times as long as it is wide. So if I took a 14 x 19 cake and cut it in half lengthwise, then stacked the 2 halves, I would have a cake that is 7" x 19", which is "almost" three times longer than the width. Then I would carve the toenail end into a curve. Then carve the shape of the length of the toe. My toe is not straight, there is some curve to it. Then I would use the pieces I carved out to build up anyplace that needed heighth or width. The object is to use as much as the cake as you can, make the cake porportionate to the real object, and give the customer the needed number of servings.

I hope this all makes sense. Holler away if you have more questions! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%