so i accepted this order for a first birthay cake and smash cake this past thursday - due today. typically, i need more than 3 days notice, but i wasn't booked for today, so i thought i would do this customer a favor. so i made all the cakes (an 8" square and 13' x 9" red velvet and two 4" marbles). well, on saturday, i am making dinner in the crckpot and the next thing i know, the crockpot catches on fire and the stove catches on fire! my husband comes running in and puts out the fire with the fire extinguisher. whew! crisis averted - or so i thought. everything is now covered in the chemical powder from the fire extinguisher and it's about 530-6pm. so, i call the customer and explain to her what had happened, that my kitchen burned and i was terribly sorry, but i wasn't going to be able to make her cake order for the next day. i offered to recommend someone she might be able to get a cake from and this is what she said, 'no, it's too late now, and i need this cake.' i tried to apologize and she hung up on me.
so now, i'm sitting there, three ruined cakes in my kitchen, a burned down crockpot and stove, fire extinguisher chemicals all over everything, and my customer just yelled at me and hung up on me. i was devestated. not to mention that now i am afraid to go into the kitchen again.
sigh, i just need some support and i knew this was the place. thanks for letting me cry on your (collective) shoulder...
Oh that's an awful experience. I'm glad you guys are all OK, everything else can be fixed or replaced.
As far as the client all I can say is it never ceases to amaze me how selfish and ignorant some people can be. I would hope that she will call and apologize to you when she has a chance to think about what an a$$ she was.
I hope everything turns out well for you!
Man that sounds like my luck. I am so sorry.
It just amazes me how people act.I am thrilled to be doing cakes from home I still deal with clients but on a very limited basis. Thank goodness!
I hope you get your kitchen back soon and just forget that lady!
So sorry all this happened. IMO, any human being who doesn't understand situation isn't worth a Saltbox Cake. Shake that part off. It will all be OK! But with the oven and the crockpot catching on fire, do you think you need to call out an electrician? And maybe th fire department? My aunt and uncle are both firefighters and say that electrical fires like this can sometimes smolder inside the walls for a few days before breaking out. It would be smart to have it checked.
wow what a rude lady, not even a once oh my goodness are you ok is your family ok? thats the first thing i thought when i read, like most have said some people are so selfish they just think oh great because of you my party is ruined instead of looking at the whole picture, well hope you get back on your feet dont let one mean person derail you
wow, what a hag.
on a good note though...at least no one got hurt!
OH NO!!! I left my crockpot on at home today! I hope I still have a house when I get home!!
I'm really sorry that the lady had to be a HUGE b*&!@ about it, not very nice at all. I'm glad that everyone is OK though, and I hope there is not too much damage in your house
how flippin rude is that lady,
forget her and worry about yourself and your poor kitchen,
thankfully everyone is okay,
wishing you better luck,
hope today is a better day!!!!
Are you kidding me? I am so happy that you are OK. I really wouldn't worry about people like that, they aren't worth the energy.
Big hugs to you! My kitchen counter & part of carpet caught on fire back in Nov due to one of the oil burners from bath and body works, 2 yrs never had a problem with them, then my 11 yr old brother lights it, doesnt tell anyone, and goes outside. Next thing I knew fire alarms going off, I send my 3 kids outside one being a 2 yr old. We didnt lose anything, nor had major damage, but it still scared me bad. I wont light any candles now for any reason, they arent even allowed into the house anymore, and for awhile, the sound of the alarm scared me, and I was afraid of using stove, for fear of something else catching on fire. Hubby calls me paranoid, but you cant just turn your fear off like that.
I'd take summers advice, and ask the fd to come out and check it out! Especially for your insurance sake, they may need a report in order to pay for a new stove.
oh, you are all so wonderful! to make matters worse that day, my boys were really sick, and my cousin accused me of saying something about her i didn't say (not to mention i'm not 15 and don't need that kind of drama).
no one got hurt, except i got a few burns on my fingers. i'm trying to get the kitchen back in order now.
thanks again! you are all exactly what i needed!
Thank God everyone is okay! Shame on her for hanging up on your. I understand her being disappointed, but nastiness is not appropriate. Now you know she's a customer you shouldn't deal with because she isn't worth it. Too bad you had to find out the hard way (((hugs))).
Wow...thank God nobody got hurt. Some people are so self absorbed. My mom's kitchen stove caught on fire and due to the smoke damage it caused, her whole house was considered a loss. Oh, I was the dispatcher on duty that evening when she called. I thought she was kidding . My husband was one of the firefighters on the scene. I would definitely get an electrician over to check everything out like Summer said.
oh sweetie, Im so sorry =(
so glad everybody is okay, but your customer needs a lesson in manners =/
well, i got back into the kitchen last night to make dinner and i am so not ready. i was freaking out the entire time, thinking something would burn down, then i ended up giving myself a 2nd degree burn on my finger with boling water. i'm just not ready.
and today, my wedding felt funny, so i checked it out to see what was wrong and it's broken... when it rains, it pours!!!
If she was that much of a witch, then you don't need her as a customer. She gave you all of 3 days notice for a cake?
Can't get anymore inconsiderate and rude than that.
Sorry it all happened but glad you and your family are ok.
I'm just happy that no one got hurt.
Believe me, this was probably a blessing in disguise and you wouldnt want a customer like that anyway.
oh what a bad run you have had - i am absolutley gobsmacked that a customer would be so cold considering what had just happened in your kitchen - all i will say is *nasty women* - feel like saying more - but
Do hope today gives you something to smile about and that you will be calm going back into your kitchen.
Thinking of you
I'm so sorry all of this has happened to you.
She was really adding insult to injury. I don't understand people. How can anyone be so self-centered and hateful?
Bad things do seem to come in like a flood. Give yourself and your family all the time you need to work through all of this. I hope your kids are feeling better.
Plenty of hugs to you darling,i'm sorry about you kitchen, your nasty customer doesn't deserve your cakes anyway,she can F off to walmart where she belongs,take care and hope all goes well with repairs.U might need to take time off from the kitchen though.
So sorry that happened. Gosh how that must have hurt - to have her hanging up on you like that right when you were dealing with a crisis! How are you feeling now? Hope all is well.