How Do I Make A Cake Stand?

Decorating By turtle3264 Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm by kmoores

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #1 of 11

I have a wedding cake coming up in April. The bottom tier is 14 inches. I would like to make a cake stand to put the cake on. I was thinking that wood would be the easiest thing to work with...so probably wood or glass. I looked at Lowe's for the round wooden circle, but it was so heavy. Any ideas are welcome.

10 replies
enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:45am
post #2 of 11

I got a large floor tile from Lowes, they come in lots of colors and styles. I put small feet under it (the four corners and four in the middle for strength) to make it easy to lift and set down without pinching any fingers. HTH

rushing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rushing Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:56am
post #3 of 11

That's a cool idea! What do you use for the feet? And what kind of adhesive do you use to attach them with? icon_smile.gif

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:57am
post #4 of 11

If you know anyone with a jig saw and a wee bit of skill they can cut you that circle out of 3/4" plywood, router the edges, put a little bit of decorative trim around a base for it and your good to go. I have the tools (all of the power tools in the garage are mine.... hee hee hee) and love working with wood. I've thought about making my own stands too and probably will when a cake comes along that needs one.

Good luck!

enoid Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enoid Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #5 of 11

Mine was for a Christmas party so was not too concerned about looks so I used little wood knobs and a hot glue gun. But for a wedding maybe glass balls glued on with super glue. Or you could still use the wood knobs if there is going to be decorations around the bottom.

Bluehue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:17am
post #6 of 11

velvetmelk - i don't know what enoid used for feet but i go to my local hardware and buy those little clear plastic *thingies* that you adhere to the wall to stop your doors from crashing back into the walls.
They have little peel off tabs and they stick to any surface extremely well. They are about 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch big and once stuck on, lifts your boards enough to get your fingers under the edgers -

If i am sticking them to a wooden board i just wipe the board over with some clear Alcohol first (Gin being my preferance - icon_wink.gif...hic icon_biggrin.gif )
Actually i wipe every surface over with it - i know, i know a waste of Gin icon_lol.gif but it cleans the surface of any grease and works a treat.
You can even use Aftershave (believe it or not) as there is clear spirit in that - works a treat also.

Hope this helps you.
Bh. icon_smile.gif

CakeDiosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiosa Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:48pm
post #7 of 11

I just bought two wooden (bamboo) lazy susans from Walmart. They are 14" in diameter and are only $9.99 each. I used them to display two cakes yesterday.

My bottom cake board was 17" in diameter so it easily covered the lazy susan. For a wedding cake you could always dress up the edge of the cake board with a ribbon or other type material or scrunch sheer fabric underneath the lazy susan to be sure the base won't be seen (you're a cake decorator so I know you can think of creative ways to hide it). This is probably your easiest option. If you don't want the lazy susan to spin or move then you can put a door stop underneath it (I had to do this on one that had a heavy side due to cake placement).

Hope this can help!!

turtle3264 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
turtle3264 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:23pm
post #8 of 11

Thanks for all your responses. I went to Lowe's today and got some precut circles and some finials. I'll post pics when they are done.

artscallion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
artscallion Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #9 of 11

"How do you make a cake stand?"

Play the National Anthem? icon_rolleyes.gif

sweetlayers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetlayers Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:51pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

icon_wink.gif It took me a while, but got it.

kmoores Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kmoores Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:58pm
post #11 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by artscallion

TOO FUNNY icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%