My Wedding Cake Wrapped Up Burrito-Style In Napkins!!

Decorating By pottedmeatchunks Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm by -Tubbs

pottedmeatchunks Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:18am
post #1 of 28

So I spent this past weekend making a wedding cake for my cousin and his new wife. I was told by the bride that I did not need to make enough cake for 250 wedding guests because there were supposed to be canoles, but I easily made enough to feed 120 or so. So anyways the restaurant decided the best plan was to cut up the entire cake and place only about 10 slices on plates with forks for everyone to eat, and the remaining slices were rolled up into paper napkins burrito style and placed at a table by the exit! I only found out about it because I was wondering where the heck my cake was and had to ask the restaurant staff. Once word got around everyone was eating messy napkin cake with their finger less any plates or forks, haha. I took one priceless photo of my Uncle sampling the goods icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL
LL

27 replies
Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:28am
post #2 of 28

Awwwwwwwwww! Beautiful cake, I love the brush embroidery!

Years ago, I mean like more then 40 yrs ago when I was a wee little girl I remember that wrapping pieces of wedding cake in a napkin was the norm.

The cake was left on large platters near the door for everyone to take a piece home. The single girls were supposed to put it under their pillow and sleep on it that night and supposedly we would dream about the man we would marry.

Well, all I ended up with was a greasy napkin and pillow, not to mention my Mom wasn't very happy that my sisters and I had actually slept on the cake.

Yeah, your story brought back memories, it's been a long time since I've actually seen that done around here. icon_wink.gif

luvsfreebies72 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:39am
post #3 of 28

1 question - did your uncle play Detective Fontana on Law & Order? icon_lol.gif

__Jamie__ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:46am
post #4 of 28

OMG....I would have starting throwing knives if I saw a beautiful cake like that hacked up and wrapped in napkins!

Wowee...that is one spectacular cake!

Great shot of your uncle too! icon_smile.gif

cblupe Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:56am
post #5 of 28

Gorgeous cake, what a terrible thing for them to destroy it like that. I have never heard of wrapping cake in napkins like that before.

brea1026 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:04am
post #6 of 28

That is the weirdest thing I have ever heard of!!!! Who would think to do that?! The person who did that would be getting an earful from me!!!

this-mama-rocks Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:11am
post #7 of 28

You cake was just beautiful. It's a shame they turned it into napkin turds.

Bluehue Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:38am
post #8 of 28

icon_surprised.gif arghhhhhh how tragic - and tacky was it for the staff to do that?

Gawd, some people just have no clue icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif
Such a beautiful cake - shame ( icon_mad.gif ) it was wrapped in 3ply napkins and left like that - i would of thumped out to the kitchen and tapedshut.giftapedshut.gif and then tapedshut.gif .

But then thats me - i hate seeing things treated so appallingly....
especially a beautiful cake like that. *shakes head*

Hmmmm - did the Bride know that that was the plan - surely not.

Bh

Idreamofcakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:43am
post #9 of 28

Your cake was stunning! Good thing you took pictures before those wierdos got ahold of it. Like Dkelly said though, it may have been their traditional way of doing it at that specific location (me? I'd have their fingers and toes wrapped up in napkins by the end of the day!) it's so hard to see something like that when you put so much time, effort, and love into something so beautiful. From the picture you have of your uncle it kinda looks like your family is able to take things in stride and make the best of it. Hopefully your cousin is off on an amazing honeymoon right now!

MyDiwa Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 7:26am
post #10 of 28

Really???? Did anyone actually get to see the cake at all before it was attacked, because I want to cry if not? I mean, you could've just gone knife happy yourself straight from the oven if you'd known that's what they were going to do! icon_twisted.gif What a waste! I'm so mad I'm going to bed now!

pottedmeatchunks Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:27am
post #11 of 28

you guys are too funny!! I too thought it looked like a turd in a napkin... my cousin and his bride had no idea what was going on, this was a roman catholic wedding entirely out of their hands. so everything was a surprise...down to dessert when no canoles appeared (instead we had cherry jubilee!)

no one got upset we just had to laugh at it...maybe it was a restaurant custom it just seems strange possibly they should set up some plastic take-home forks as well haha icon_biggrin.gif

maryj Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:43am
post #12 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottedmeatchunks

you guys are too funny!! I too thought it looked like a turd in a napkin... my cousin and his bride had no idea what was going on, this was a roman catholic wedding entirely out of their hands. so everything was a surprise...down to dessert when no canoles appeared (instead we had cherry jubilee!)

no one got upset we just had to laugh at it...maybe it was a restaurant custom it just seems strange possibly they should set up some plastic take-home forks as well haha icon_biggrin.gif

would you explain what cake folded up in napkins and it being a catholic wedding have anything to do with each other?

sweetjan Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:48am
post #13 of 28

Gorgeous cake, and I'm so sorry this happened. Who in the world......???? icon_confused.gif

Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:53am
post #14 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

Quote:

would you explain what cake folded up in napkins and it being a catholic wedding have anything to do with each other?

I don't really think it's a "religion" thing, I think that's the way that particular venue handles the cake. It sounds like the couple ordered dessert to be served and not the cake, I mean she said that cannolis were supposed to be served for dessert.

I'm Catholic and the church has nothing to do with the reception, only the ceremony. icon_smile.gif

robinscakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #15 of 28

How completely bizzare!!! I've never in my life heard of such a thing. You have to wonder what goes through people's heads sometimes.

pottedmeatchunks Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:29pm
post #16 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by maryj

sorry to be confusing. what i meant was because it was a roman catholic wedding, the parents of the bride did 99% of the wedding planning and the bride and groom did not have a lot of prior knowledge as to what was going on. So neither asked for or were expecting cake in napkins icon_smile.gif

indydebi Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 1:58pm
post #17 of 28
Quote:

sorry to be confusing. what i meant was because it was a roman catholic wedding, the parents of the bride did 99% of the wedding planning and the bride and groom did not have a lot of prior knowledge as to what was going on.

Are they really old school or something? My children are 6th generation Catholic, and I've never heard of "because it's catholic, the parents do all the planning and the bride has no idea" concept. icon_confused.gif

Deb_ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:06pm
post #18 of 28

Yeah Debi, I agree with you this has nothing to do with religion........

If someone let's their parent make 99% of the plans for their wedding, they better be prepared........because I don't think the "involvement" stops there. I would put that Mother and Father in their "proverbial" place and fast!

flamingobaker Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:34pm
post #19 of 28

Ditto on the religion explanation.

However, (there's always a "however"), it could be an "ethnic" thing.

My heritage is Polish and I remember the cake wrapped in napkin thing.
Not RECENTLY, mind you, but maybe it was a 1st generation type of thing?

OP, the cake is BEAUTIFUL!

kaytdid516 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #20 of 28

I have to agree with the last few posts - I don't see what religion has to do with anything.

I was born and raised Catholic, attended Catholic school (elementary and high school) and have been to many, many Catholic weddings - including my own 5 years ago. Not one of them we planned by the parents. My own wedding was planned down to every last detail by myself and my husband - my parents (or his forthat matter) had no say in anything.

Just putting my .02 cents in!

Kim040508 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:52pm
post #21 of 28

Hello everyone. When I was a teen, (no too long ago), I worked in a Banquet Hall where we held several weddings. Unless the bride suggested that we not wrap the cake, that is what normally happened. They would order flaming cherries jubilee or some other kind of dessert and they would have the cake cut and wrapped for the guests to take home. I always wondered why? It seemed like a waste of a beautiful cake to me!! I haven't seen this done since I worked there, but I guess it sounds like some places still do it this way. That beautiful cake!! icon_cry.gif

Kim

KKristy Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:57pm
post #22 of 28

By chance, is the bride's family Polish or maybe the venue owner?
I am Roman Catholic ( this is not a custom I have ever encountered with any type of Catholic wedding)....BUT I am also Polish and this is something that I have seen years ago at many Polish-Catholic ( old country) weddings, ( but usually wrapped in very pretty napkins with monograms....My Grandmother was a caterer who came here from Poland and had her small business in New Jersey.
That brings back some memories !
Your cake was so beautiful ! Great job!
Kristy

Cakepro Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:05pm
post #23 of 28

Yay ~ we are a faithful Roman Catholic family, and I can't WAIT to tell my daughter that I'm going to plan her ENTIRE wedding!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

WOOT!!!

(LOL, I am just joking...not about being a faithful Catholic family, but about the wedding planning part. icon_smile.gif )

I am so sorry your beautiful cake was desecrated by being rolled into napkin burritos!! EEEEKKK

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:12pm
post #24 of 28

Years ago when I was a young girl it was traditional for most wedding cakes to be cut up into small pieces and wrapped in a piece of fancy foil with a doily around it.It usually was fruit cake so it didn't crush.lasted along time and tasted very good!They don't that anymore but I remember getting 2 or 3 pieces.

Carson Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:25pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

Years ago when I was a young girl it was traditional for most wedding cakes to be cut up into small pieces and wrapped in a piece of fancy foil with a doily around it.It usually was fruit cake so it didn't crush.lasted along time and tasted very good!They don't that anymore but I remember getting 2 or 3 pieces.

That's exactly the custom I remember...always fruit cake, yummmm.

sari66 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:50pm
post #26 of 28

LOL well I guess that's one way to serve a cake!
It was beautiful before hand.

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 2:59am
post #27 of 28

Did the bride and groom at least have a picture with the cake? I would've been a very upset bride if i had a cake the beautiful and no picture next to it icon_sad.gif

Your cake is sooooo stunning!

-Tubbs Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 1:57pm
post #28 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiddiekakes

That's exactly the custom I remember...always fruit cake, yummmm.

That's also the custom in the UK. You can even buy little boxes specifically so you can mail a sliver of cake to people who couldn't attend the wedding. It's always fruit cake, which likes to hang around before being eaten, and the British mail system is usually superb, so it works fine!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%