Have You Made Fondant With The Choc. Marshmallows?

Decorating By KarenOR Updated 30 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm by KarenOR

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:29pm
post #1 of 11

They've been available in the stores for a while. They are the big ones, and are mostly brown with some white striping. I was wondering if they were at all worth using to make a brown fondant? It's not the right brown, but it would be darker.
Any other foolproof ideas to start darker? Cocoa powder?

10 replies
didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:22am
post #2 of 11

I had a chance to try chocolate MMF this weekend. I just added cocoa powder to the melted marshmallows. Mine didn't really get that dark, maybe I should have added more. The recipe I used was half a pound of MM and I added up to 4 tbsp. of cocoa. I had to add brown and a bit of black colour. I found that the MMF was a bit dry and hard to work with. But it tastes marvelous! I always find myself taking a piece !

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:29am
post #3 of 11

I have made it with the choco swirl mallows you are talking about. I melted them with chocolate chips then added some cocoa powder into powdered sugar. I loved the taste, it tasted like tootsie rolls. Have to agree with didi5 though it was hard to work with. Had to put it in the microwave to soften and had to knead it alot!

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:30am
post #4 of 11

I have never seen chocolate marshmallows before! That's the best of both worlds!!

Terri05 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Terri05 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:32am
post #5 of 11

Could you add a tablespoon more of light corn syrup to make the choc. mmf more pliable?

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #6 of 11

Good question!! I have 3 bags of them in my cupboard and wondered if they would make good choc. mmf fondant. We can't get them around here unless we go to the U.S.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:33am
post #7 of 11

I couldn't resist--when I saw the chocolate marshmallows (and the strawberry ones)--I had to try MMF using them. Both were really yummy! I did add some chocolate chips to the chocolate, to make it just a little more "chocolate," but added nothing extra to the strawberry (made a very pretty pink).

Starting w/ the chocolate marshmallows gave me a better consistency than when I added cocoa to the regular MMF--although my DH enjoyed both. He swears it tastes like "Tootsie Roll Icing." icon_biggrin.gif (He's a very supportive taste-tester.)

Carson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carson Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:40am
post #8 of 11

I always have trouble when I add Cocoa to my mmf...it really dries it out. I am going to try it with the choc marshmallows very soon!

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:39am
post #9 of 11

Yes! It was like Tootsie rolls! Had some leftover and guess what I'm munching on now? lol...

Ready made choco marshmallows sounds good, I think you have better chances these not getting too dry. But I haven't seen them in this part of the world. So, for next time I'm going to try melting choco chips. Thanks for that idea!

pinkcamo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkcamo Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:44am
post #10 of 11

WOW, of all the MMF I've made, I never tried it with the chocolate or strawberry MM!! Can't wait to try it!!

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:11pm
post #11 of 11

Well, I couldn't wait for you guys yesterday. LOL.
I guess the site was having problems, I couldn't get back in.

I made it with the chocolate marshmallows. I also added an ounce of melted bakers chocolate. It was really easy to knead and seemed to work well. I won't use it for a while. I'll definitely need to add some brown color to make more of the 'monkey' brown I'm looking for, but at least it won't be the whole bottle.

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%