What's The Deal With Tylose?

Decorating By ladybuglau Updated 31 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm by dandelion56602

ladybuglau Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 5:37pm
post #1 of 7

does adding tylose powder to fondant make it into gumpaste? make it act like gumpaste? or make it just dry harder faster? and whats the ratio people use? do you just knead it in and its ready to go? I'm obviously confused icon_smile.gif I'd appreciate any info!

6 replies
princesscris Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:33am
post #2 of 7

I make my gumpaste by adding CMC (=Tylose) to fondant. I wouldn't do it any other way. The powder makes the fondant stronger, enabling you to roll it out finer and it dries a lot faster - it turns the fondant into gumpaste.

As a general rule, one teaspoon of CMC to a big handful of fondant works fine. I vary the amount I add depending on what I'm making. Sometimes I need the gumpaste to be just a little stronger than fondant, so I only add a little powder. Sometimes I need it to be really strong, so I add more. That's the beauty of this method - you can play around with the ratio to get what you need.

If you add too much powder and your gumpaste gets too stiff, knead in more fondant. If the gumpaste isn't strong enough, add more powder. If you are going to make flowers, you want it to 'snap' when you stretch it.

Hope that helps!

gerripje Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:56am
post #3 of 7

Here is a link of aine2 talking about and showing how she adds tylose to her fondant. HTH!

xstitcher Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 5:15am
post #4 of 7

I've used Aine2's recipe for figures and it works great! I'm going to try flowers next and I hear that Nicolas Lodge's recipe is really good for flowers too. Here's a link for his recipe:

ladybuglau Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:28pm
post #5 of 7

thanks for the help! icon_smile.gif

PinkZiab Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 6:24pm
post #6 of 7

I use Ron Ben-Israel's flower paste (gumpaste) recipe for flowers, but for figures and other decorations I, too, just add CMC (tylose) to fondant. I add about 1 gram CMC per 100 grams of fondant as a starting point for most things, and make adjustments from there.

dandelion56602 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 9:52pm
post #7 of 7

I LOVE Nicolas Lodge's recipe, but if I don't have any & am in a pinch I add Tylose to fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%