Make A Template?

Decorating By southernpeach Updated 8 Apr 2009 , 12:27am by southernpeach

southernpeach Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 4:51pm
post #1 of 23

I have a design that I would like to make a template to put on a cake, but how do I do that?

If I missed the post about it, please direct me. Thanks ladies.

22 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 2:55am
post #2 of 23

Bump

sugarshack Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:46am
post #3 of 23

can u tell me more about what kind of item/design you are trying to create?

pinkcamo Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:41am
post #4 of 23

I've used images I found online... as well as cutting my own from paper towels/ paper.

gerripje Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:45am
post #5 of 23

I have cut out uncomplicated shapes on clear plastic and used that, but the designs sure didn't have a whole lot of detail.

bizatchgirl Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 4:52am
post #6 of 23

Definitely need more information. Depends on what you are trying to do. If you are trying to get a very detailed image onto a cake, like a character, a FBCT (frozen buttercream transfer) might be easier than a template.

If you want to do something directly onto the cake, you can always take the design, cover it in wax paper, then draw your design out onto the wax paper. Then you would lay your wax paper image on the cake and mark the outline and details onto your cake with a toothpick. Remove the wax paper, then connect the dots!

FlourPots Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:42am
post #7 of 23

I make templates using large index cards all the time. They're easy to cut, and the lines can be very helpful as far as getting letters, for example, all the same size (as in my avatar photo)...the four sides work great when you need a straight edge too.

A ruler might be easier for some, but I prefer this method.

southernpeach Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:17pm
post #8 of 23

Okay sorry I posted and ran... icon_surprised.gif Ended up getting a little busy. icon_wink.gif

More information is the image I have attached, just the mommy and the baby, not the words for now. One thing at a time....LOL don't want to look like this icon_eek.gif

Sorry about having two...he he, learning a new forum...icon_lol.gif
LL
LL

Justbeck101 Posted 31 Mar 2009 , 5:40am
post #9 of 23

I forget what the proper term is, but you could make multiple copies on card stock and cut each part out and layer it. There is a name for this, but my brain is blank.

southernpeach Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 1:53am
post #10 of 23

Hmmmm.....I will give that a try and se. I will show my finished product on Sunday sometime.

pattycakes55d Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:32am
post #11 of 23

Like the other ladies suggested, I would make cutouts and then layer them on top of each other and then cut off the excess from the back so it won't be too thick. I might even have a circle base to glue the first layer on and when finished the entire logo could be put on the cake in one piece. Does this make any sense? Hope it helps.

Justbeck101 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 2:34am
post #12 of 23

go here at click on one of these templates and you will see what I mean:

http://www.pasteleria.com/patrones_dulcypas/

pattycakes55d Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:41pm
post #13 of 23

Oh Wow ! ! ! You're great. Thank you so much. If you feel like sharing and have the time, I'd love to know how to find other templates like that.

Justbeck101 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:12pm
post #14 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattycakes55d

Oh Wow ! ! ! You're great. Thank you so much. If you feel like sharing and have the time, I'd love to know how to find other templates like that.

One way to find them is to search templates on the internet. Another way is to search "scrapbook paper piecing" or "paper piecing".

Here is another pattern with instructions so you see what I am saying:

http://www.diynetwork.com/DIY/mmo/SCB-344/cowgirlpattern.pdf

here is the picture of the link above:

http://www.diynetwork.com/diy/sc_techniques/article/0,2025,DIY_14232_2331004,00.html

pattycakes55d Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:22am
post #15 of 23

thanks a lot for the extra samples. I think I have it. Take care.

dhccster Posted 2 Apr 2009 , 6:35am
post #16 of 23

This is very useful. Thanks!

southernpeach Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 1:57am
post #17 of 23

Okay w I tried the layer thing with the cardstock and here it is.... icon_sad.gif

It did not turn out as pretty as I wanted it, and people can not even tell what the design is icon_sad.gif but I guess it is good for the first try...

Please help me with any suggestions so I can make another cake better. Thanks ladies for all the help and support on this cake. I am going to try others soon.

The next one I am trying is the Coca-Cola cupcakes and Icing.
LL

Necey Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:12am
post #18 of 23

The main thing is to keep practising until you get the results you want.. In the beginning, I made the mistake of giving up on a design the first time around if it didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, which of course just made everything I tried seem impossible. Now, I've learned not to give up too soon and everything turns out for the better.

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 2:24am
post #19 of 23

With a design like that, I would definitely do a reverse/frozen buttercream transfer or even a reverse(not frozen) chocolate transfer(same technique, different stuff). Just remember to reverse your image before you begin or it'll be facing the opposite direction(or, if there's writing, it'll be backward)

here's a tutorial...(I didn't know how much you knew...sure hth)

http://www.sdbytracy.com/frozbutter.htm

Justbeck101 Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:17am
post #20 of 23

I am sorry, I thought you were doing it in Fondant, definitely frozen buttercream transfer.

dettdunn Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:00pm
post #21 of 23

Southernpeach: I made a template out of cardstock and then cut fondant pieces for my design. I layered each on so it appeared 3-d. Take a look in my photos at 'susie's retirement' and you'll see what I mean. I took awhile to do, but was definitely worth it.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1280585.html

all4cake Posted 5 Apr 2009 , 3:25pm
post #22 of 23

Great design dettdunn!

southernpeach Posted 8 Apr 2009 , 12:27am
post #23 of 23

Thank you all for all your help with this one, I am planning on doing more and learning more about how to the transfers that are mentioned.

I am still learning about this stuff so the tutorials are very helpful, thanks for adding them to your comments.

Thank you again for all the help. My next cake is going to be the coca cola cake and icing! I can't wait, thinking this weekend I will try that one and something a little simplier for another pull apart cake for a practice session for myself for easter.

Sounds like fun alreay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%