So Embarrassed!

Baking By cookiesbyms Updated 1 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm by juleebug

cookiesbyms Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 11:55am
post #1 of 19

A lesson learned the hard way is one you won't forget. I made a bouquet for a ladys son's 1st birthday which I thought turned out quite cute. The only problem was I thought his name was casper instead it was Jasper. She was lovely about it and told me not to worry, I was just so glad that I didn't make any little casper the ghost cookies to go in the bouquet. So I've now learnt that I should always ask them to spell out the names for me.
LL

18 replies
Melnick Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #2 of 19

You poor thing! Love the bouquet - it looks fabulous. Perfect for a one year old!

leepat Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #3 of 19

I learned my lesson the hard way also.

crisseyann Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:04pm
post #4 of 19

Awww, I am SO sorry that happened to you. icon_sad.gif The lady sounds like a real gem! Your cookies are perfection....beautiful job. icon_smile.gif

Bluehue Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:10pm
post #5 of 19

Aweeeeee - you poor thing - if that were me i think i would icon_redface.gif then icon_cry.gif and thennnnn faint.

So glad the lady was understanding towards you.

Such a beautiful bouquet - love the bright colours.
What a marvellous job you did of it. thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Bh. icon_smile.gif

twooten173 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:14pm
post #6 of 19

He he he... did that once. The kid's name was Justin and I wrote Justine. Fortunately he couldn't read yet so he wasn't offended.

That bouquet is way too nice for the mom to be upset! Absolutely stunning!!!

vickymacd Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:19pm
post #7 of 19

You're right...lesson learned. If you really stretch your vision, you could have taken off the "c" and the curve on the 'a' looks like the start of a "j'.
Hey, I'm just trying to help here.

cookies looked beautiful. I'm sure they had a laugh over it as you will eventually. AND he was only 1. He won't be in therapy over it.

Look at it this way, you just built a memory for them. That's good.

cookiesbyms Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:19pm
post #8 of 19

Thanks for the understanding and sweet comments, I needed it. The cookies in the picture were just some of the many cookies for the bouquet. It really was a cute bouquet. The lady rang me the next day to tell me how much everyone loved the bouquet and to say they all thought the name slip up was quite funny. Even took a photo of it for Jasper's birthday book (lovely people).

janelwaters Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:25pm
post #9 of 19

I am always so scared that this is going to happen to me that I make everyone email me exactly what they want, that way I have it in writing! Although I did mess up once on my friend's husband's cake - I put Corey and his name is Casey! What was funny was she almost didn't notice either! thank goodness it was only on the board in buttercream - quick erase and fix and no one was the wiser! haha!

tarheelgirl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 12:26pm
post #10 of 19

I think they came out great! Once is all it takes.. trust me! I luckily was able to fix the mistake before the mom picked up the cake.

Mickeebabe Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:03am
post #11 of 19

May I ask what you used to make the letters? They are great.

What tip did you use to do the outline.

Great cookies. thumbs_up.gif

Thanks

cookiesbyms Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 3:20am
post #12 of 19

Mickeebabe: I used a #2 for the outline and I used FMM letter cutters which I used to cut out the letters from the gumpaste. Hope this helps you, if you need anything else let me know.

GeminiRJ Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:00pm
post #13 of 19

I completely understand the mistake on the name! I do cakes for a large family, and they started doing "group" cakes because they were having a hard time getting everyone together. So the mom gave me a list of the names to go on the cake, one of them being "Joe". Or so I thought! It was actually "Jo", short for Joann. She never said a word about it....I noticed it myself when I was looking at the photos of their cakes when the next order came along. I'd done lots of cakes for Jo, just never thought of it when I heard the name over the phone. Live and learn.

Kiddiekakes Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:05pm
post #14 of 19

Yup...I've done that before...but on a cake..Spelled the name wrong and had the wrong date too!!

MikeRowesHunny Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 12:29pm
post #15 of 19

Oh sort of did this too at the weekend! I put 7 on a cake when it should have been 5. Best thing was that I had sent the mom an order confirmation over a week before saying 7 and she never said a word that it was wrong! Luckily I had time to do a 5 (they were gumpaste), and rush it over to their house before the party began and it was changed with no-one being any wiser about it - phew!

bakery_chick Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:14pm
post #16 of 19

I've done it too. So sorry it happened to you, but your cookies are absolutely wonderful!! So cute!!

Debluvs2bake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:38pm
post #17 of 19

I ask all my clients to actually write out the names I'm to have on my products. I got a really funny look when I asked to have one client write "Mike". Good thing I did, I was thing hid name was "Brian"! icon_eek.gif

Stacybugg75 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #18 of 19

Oh goodness... I've done that too. It was my second paid cake for a neighbor's daughter's birthday. The girls name was "Georgia", like the state and I spelled it "Georga"..... dugh!!!! If they noticed, they never said anything. They loved the cake though.

Your cookies are darling.

icon_biggrin.gif

juleebug Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:45pm
post #19 of 19

I know sometimes my clients think I'm a wee bit touched because I have them spell the name, spell it a second time and then confirm the spelling a third time (sometimes four if it's a very unusual name) before I let them off the phone.
The one time I didn't, the little girl's name was pronounced "Destiny". I assumed it was spelled as it sounded. It wasn't. Thankfully, the client was placing the order in person and noticed that I had written it wrong.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%