Sam's Club Icing Vs. Dixie's ( Taste & Coverage )

Decorating By CakeDiva73 Updated 2 Apr 2009 , 7:12pm by mashmellow

CakeDiva73 Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 6:36am
post #1 of 33

I ordered the sample pack of Dixie's icing but was going out of town tomorrow to a place where there is a Sam's Club - I am eager at the thought of buying a 5 lb pail of yummy icing and not having to make it myself anymore.......

Most people say good things about Sam's Club and then others say Dixie's is better. On the Dixie site, she says her icing spreads better - it's lighter and I guess she means it goes farther.

Is this true or is it just a marketing thing to justify the cost?

Has anyone tasted both and if so, who prefers what? If you use Sam's do your clients like it? Sorry for all the questions - thanks.

32 replies
Redlotusninjagrl Posted 29 Mar 2009 , 3:46pm
post #2 of 33

I don't know. I have never heard of Dixie but I wanted to give you a bump!

mom2owen1 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 33

I have never used Dixie, but I use Sams all the time. My customers rave over it.

PinkZiab Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 33

I have never tried Sam's club (i'm a die-hard scratch baker), but a friend of mine had some Dixie's samples and I gave it a taste... I thought I would about die. It tasted like pure chemical garbage. I couldn't get the taste out of my mouth for hours. I wouldn't even taste the other samples she had with it... after she tasted she wound up throwing them all in the trash.

sweetcravings Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 10:57pm
post #5 of 33

I make my own buttercream but man there have been times when i wanted to whip up a batch of cupcakes for my son's class and didn't have time to make a batch of the icing. I didn't even know Sam's sells icing. I go stateside occassionally and just got a Sam's card. Where do i find it in Sam's? How much is it? How big are the containers? Does it crust? Does it come in different colors? How long does it last? Does it have to be refrigerated...any info would be appreciated. I don't know how i missed it when i walked through. I guess i was too overwhelmed with all the other stuff and missed it. Do they sell betterceam as well?
I'm gonna have to look for it next time I go.

mom2owen1 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #6 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

I make my own buttercream but man there have been times when i wanted to whip up a batch of cupcakes for my son's class and didn't have time to make a batch of the icing. I didn't even know Sam's sells icing. I go stateside occassionally and just got a Sam's card. Where do i find it in Sam's? How much is it? How big are the containers? Does it crust? Does it come in different colors? How long does it last? Does it have to be refrigerated...any info would be appreciated. I don't know how i missed it when i walked through. I guess i was too overwhelmed with all the other stuff and missed it. Do they sell betterceam as well?

You would ask at the bakery for it. I don't know if you can buy in various quantities, like by the pound, because I always buy in the big bucket. It is 28 lbs. It does last quite a while. I believe they sell vanilla and chocolate. I buy the vanilla and color it myself. I doubt they sell other colors. I have never actually seen them sell cakes with other colors of icing. All the cakes they do at the Sams here are iced in white and airbrushed.

What is bettercream?

Kris

noyhoward Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:08pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

The Sam's where I live sells bettercreme for $20 for a 15 lbs bucket(that's a lot of bettercreme).

nefcook21 Posted 30 Mar 2009 , 11:25pm
post #8 of 33

I use Sam's buttercream and their chocolate buttercream and get rave reviews all the time. It's easy to color and add flavoring to if wanted. I do buy the darker colors from Dixie's -red, black, burgundy-because I hatet o make those colors. It tastes good, imo but I have never covered a whole cake with Dixies.

If you get the chocolate from Sam's make sure they give you the buttercream and not the dipping chocolate. I now have a huge bucket of icing I cannot use! icon_cry.gif Oh well, live and learn!

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:21am
post #9 of 33

Ok, well I ordered the Dixie's and then never got a chance to taste it before we left. So we went to Sam's and asked to sample both the vanilla and the chocolate and about died! My husband was with me and he thought the chocolate was rich and yummy and the vanilla was good, sweet - but good.

I bought a huge tub of both and that's what I am going to use from now on. We just got back so I am going to bake something tomorrow and let the kids taste test it and get some reviews. I will let you all know how it goes! icon_smile.gif

As for the still unopened Dixie's......that was a waste of $15 since I just bought all the Sam's icing.

SweetSweetCreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:33am
post #10 of 33

Ok so I have been wanting to try the Sam's icing so Iam glad you started this thread. I make my own icing  and I offer several kinds of icing but I worry about it being consistent. I was thinking about using Sam's as a standard cake icing(kid b-day cakes and such) but continue to offer my real buttercream and all of my other icings espically to brides and anyone looking for tiered cakes.

cakesandbakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:50am
post #11 of 33

Ok girls....here I go, As a former Sam's employee of 12 years I can probably answer just about any questions you may have. Yes they do sell both vanilla and chocolate Bettercreme. If you call they may even tell you what day it comes in on the truck frozen. (that's how I get it then I only thaw it as I need it) The buttercreme comes in a 5 gal. bucket and the price here just went up $5 to $31. And the choc buttercreme is a few dollars more. Make sure you know which kind of Choc you want as someone else said...they sell Choc Buttercreme, choc fudge (like brownie icing, used to fill fudge cakes) and choc ganache. They do sell smaller buckets of colors but the prices vary. The buttercreme is a nice crusting BC I use it on all my cakes. I usually mix it in my KA with the paddle before using it just to get it back to a good consistency for spreading. Hope this helps

mom2owen1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 5:54am
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesandbakes

Ok girls....here I go, As a former Sam's employee of 12 years I can probably answer just about any questions you may have. Yes they do sell both vanilla and chocolate Bettercreme. If you call they may even tell you what day it comes in on the truck frozen. (that's how I get it then I only thaw it as I need it) The buttercreme comes in a 5 gal. bucket and the price here just went up $5 to $31. And the choc buttercreme is a few dollars more. Make sure you know which kind of Choc you want as someone else said...they sell Choc Buttercreme, choc fudge (like brownie icing, used to fill fudge cakes) and choc ganache. They do sell smaller buckets of colors but the prices vary. The buttercreme is a nice crusting BC I use it on all my cakes. I usually mix it in my KA with the paddle before using it just to get it back to a good consistency for spreading. Hope this helps

Thanks cakesandbakes!

I also wanted to add that it is a big hit with my customers because it is artificial. 90% of the cakes I make have to work around either allergies or food preferences. There is no egg, no dairy, etc.

cakesandbakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:01am
post #13 of 33

Oh yeah and if you want to get your icing at Sam's, they will love you if you call ahead a week so they can add it to their order. (Can you tell I did ordering yet?) They may not always have extra to sell during busy weeks. As for me I have a standing order for 2 buckets every week...

noyhoward Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:03am
post #14 of 33

I was just wondering,how do you store Sam's buttercream?Do you have to freeze it?Thanks!

mom2owen1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:12am
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by noyhoward

I was just wondering,how do you store Sam's buttercream?Do you have to freeze it?Thanks!

room temp in the bucket it comes in. i did make the mistake once of storing it near an outer wall over the winter (in a house with little insulation). that made the consistency a little off.

i do have to say that either i am really weak or those darn buckets are out to kill me. the lids are so hard to get off! it kills my hands. any tricks cakesandbakes?

SweetSweetCreations Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:17am
post #16 of 33

There is a metal tool that is made for that. I don' know what it is called but it pops the lid right off. I am sure any resturant supply has them.

cakesandbakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:23am
post #17 of 33

I have a bucket opener I ordered from Deco Pac for like $5 or you can call in the hubby!!

cakesandbakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:25am
post #18 of 33

I also wanted to tell you that Sam's sell cream cheese icing although it is not my favorite...it has a very strong flavor. If I need to use it I will mix some buttercreme in with it...
Sorry I guess I'm taking this thread in the wrong direction since I have never even heard of Dixie's icon_razz.gif

noyhoward Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:26am
post #19 of 33

The bettercreme lid was easy to open but the buttercream that I got today from Sam's was hard to open since I have carpal tunnel.My husband works in a paint store & he will bring me a tool from work that they use.

carleen2140 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:30am
post #20 of 33

cakesandbakes wrote

Yes they do sell both vanilla and chocolate Bettercreme.

Is it Bettercreme that Sam's sells, or Buttercreme? I love Bettercreme, there is only one place I can get it, and that"s at GFS. So if Sam's sells it, it would be much easier for me to go there. I do not have a Sam's card, but it might be worth it for me.
Thanks

noyhoward Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:38am
post #21 of 33

Sam's sell both bettercreme & buttercream.

CakeDiva73 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 6:43am
post #22 of 33

hey,hey...no worries about taking the thread in a different direction. Your answers are helpful to anyone who has question about Sam's etc, so thanks!

I was at the Sam's in Reno, NV and all they sold was the but-r-creme (is that different from the bEttercream?) and they sold chocolate and some colors and something called Danish icing.

I didn't see any dipping chocolate, ganache, fudge filling, etc.

But they DID sell frozen cake layers and unfrosted cupcakes, which I thought was interesting.

GeminiRJ Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 11:58am
post #23 of 33

I've used nothing but Dixie's for 13 years, and I've got about a gazillion empty icing buckets in my basement to prove it. I have NEVER had a problem with a chemical taste. I love her icing! It decorates beautifully, and tastes divine. I have people who will make their own brownies if I can't do a cake for them, because it's the only icing they will eat. I just don't understand the comment about the chemical taste. It baffles me.

cakesandbakes Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:18pm
post #24 of 33

The But-r creme is the buttercream I was talking about, the bettercreme is the non dairy whipped topping icing option. They only recently have gotten the ganache for those little 5" cakes they do with cupcakes around them. Since we are talking Sam's though I can tell you all that if your club has a bakery (I know not all of them do) contact the manager and they can give you a "case price list" for not only the icings and such but also for packaging materials. Of course keep in mind you have to get cases but that's where I get my 1/2 and full sheet pads and boxes and some other things.

taxlady1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:32pm
post #25 of 33

I use Sam's buttercream all the time. I only admit it if asked "how did you make this great icing". icon_wink.gif I have never tried Dixie's where do you get it? I like to keep my options open and would love to try it.

PinkZiab Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:46pm
post #26 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminiRJ

I just don't understand the comment about the chemical taste. It baffles me.

My guess is the "chemical" taste I found so unpleasant was from the artificial flavorings used. I used only 100% pure flavorings, extracts and pastes, and anytime I have eaten frosting flavored with artificial/clear vanilla and all I taste is the artificial/chemical after taste I referred to. If you and your customers like it, then great, but I could never stomach any more than the spoonful I ate. I guess it's all what you are used to.

mom2owen1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:52pm
post #27 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesandbakes

The But-r creme is the buttercream I was talking about, the bettercreme is the non dairy whipped topping icing option. They only recently have gotten the ganache for those little 5" cakes they do with cupcakes around them. Since we are talking Sam's though I can tell you all that if your club has a bakery (I know not all of them do) contact the manager and they can give you a "case price list" for not only the icings and such but also for packaging materials. Of course keep in mind you have to get cases but that's where I get my 1/2 and full sheet pads and boxes and some other things.

i don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask them about other products! what are the pads you are talking about?

thanks

becklynn Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:55pm
post #28 of 33

Now I am curious to try Sam's buttercream..can anyone tell me if it is a crusting buttercream??

taxlady1 Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 8:58pm
post #29 of 33

Yes it crust nicely. I can usually smooth (viva style) within % minutes.

CakesIMake Posted 1 Apr 2009 , 9:09pm
post #30 of 33

ok...I'm confused...Sams sells BEttecream & BUttercream? which one am I supposed to buy? icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%